Tikka tac chassis v after market chassis

Woodlander

Just out of interest,has anyone had the chance to compare the Tikka tac chassis to the likes of MDT ESS, or XLR chassis systems? I’m also interested in a comparison between the MDT ESS and the XLR Evolution,regarding build quality and ergonomics. Thanks

I’ve compared all 3 and the xlr comes out on top in my opinion.

its an odd question as with the tikka, you are limited to it being a tikka. I thought the chassis was clunky.

my choice is custom action in xlr, and then custom in mdt, then factory tikka if thats the only options you are considering.

i quite like tikka factory rifles but the tictac is just nasty.

I’ve not seen or handled any of the stocks mentioned and I’m only considering the MDT and the XLR,the Tikka comparison was only thrown in there as in the internet photos it does look nice and it may be of interest to a guy on the forum, who’s thinking to buy a new Tikka tac 6.5cm and pull the barrel to replace it with a 6br.

8 hours ago, Dunc said:

Can you elaborate on this comparison please? i know 4 people with Tikka TACs and they are delighted with them.

I have 2 of them and love the pistol grip , suits my Hands very well , other types/ makes I have tried just don’t feel right , either too skinny or a bit unnatural feel to them , 

but hey it’s what makes the world go round . 

I love mine, nothing wrong with the quality, ergonomics are OK for me, everything is adjustable, not sure whats meant by Hinge strength, my hinge opens and closes very smoothly and locks up solid

My only grumble if i'm being picky is when you fold the stock it knocks against the action. the main thing is and it's what i bought it for is it shoots straight and true.

but as with everything, there's the Friday afternoon/Monday morning model that slips through QC

2 hours ago, Kevgun said:

I love mine, nothing wrong with the quality, ergonomics are OK for me, everything is adjustable, not sure whats meant by Hinge strength, my hinge opens and closes very smoothly and locks up solid

My only grumble if i'm being picky is when you fold the stock it knocks against the action. the main thing is and it's what i bought it for is it shoots straight and true.

but as with everything, there's the Friday afternoon/Monday morning model that slips through QC

Place a small rubber grommet there. You can get self adhesive ones for couple of quid on amazon. Job done 👍

I love my Tikka TAC, it's very well made. But very heavy too. I'm told all AR 15 Mag-pull type furniture would fit, but I've not had it confirmed.

The folding hinge side of the rifle is very well made, and solid, but it looks like a mag pull style butt stock would would only fit after the hinge junction, and probably wouldn't shed much weight because of that. I removed the hand guard, and for alloy (I presume) it's still heavy. I'm wondering if again AR type hand rail would be lighter??

Anyone out there that can confirm any of this in a constructive way?

Cheers

Chaz

Another thumbs up for the Tic-Tac.  Some of this is down to personal choice and ergonomics differ between people. However, the comment about hinge strength has me scratching my head because that hinge seems rock solid and close up firmly with a pleasing "clunk".  Ergonomics I also find nigh on perfect for me.  I have a few gripes and it's the cost cutting in some areas.  For one, LOP could have been made a lot easier by having an adjustable butt plate altered with a thumb-wheel instead of those awkward shimmed plates.  The cheek piece whilst ok could have been better shaped.  Other than that I'm impressed with the quality, having had it apart a few times now, and it shoots well.

I did compare it with a few after-market chassis but tbh, they didn't offer anything much over the stock factory bar some nicer butt stock designs so I've kept mine standard and am pleased with it.

I also compared with Ruger and Sabatti.  Whilst initially impressed with Sabatti build quality, someone I know has got rid of his because it was a bit of a shocker build-wise.  Some parts didn't fit that well and corrosion set in quite rapidly.  Could have been a Friday afternoon one for sure but the T3x-TAC seemed far more polished and better made to me.  I preferred build over the Ruger too.  I'd rather have the Ruger's all-in-line design but it felt cheap compared with the T3.  Haven't yet handled the improved Ruger which by all accounts is much better.

I also find the TikTac (love that) well thought out and well executed. I also find the hinge to be excellent. I have no problems with it at all. I examined at least a dozen of these rifles waiting to get off my a&& to actually buy one. I never saw anything out of place. Always quality work.~Andrew

• 2 months later...

Reviving an old post but have people had issues with Tik Tac magazines and COAL in .223 and 6.5 CM?

Am leaning toward a Varmint with it’s heavier profile barrel, fitted into a KRG bravo using accurate magazines which appear to have excellent room for COAL. 

Maybe be an issue over nothing!

The mag I understand will be revised in newer rifles as it doesn't provide reliable feed, certainly in my 6.5 where rounds aren't brought up square and often take two attempts at chambering. Nose isn't properly aligned with bore so sometimes when you think you've chambered a round you've just pushed it back into the magazine.  The way to overcome it is to be slow and deliberate with the bolt, which has to be brought all the way back to the stop before attempting to feed a round.  It's a non-issue (for me at least) once you get the hang of things.  Varmint barrel in  KRG sounds like a heavier solution?  TAC chassis is great.