308 essentials

Murphy2para

Hi Guys,

I need some help as I’m just about to bite the bullet and purchase my first 308. 

My local range has a limit of..

2150ft/sec. on muzzle velocity and 1496ft/lb on muzzle energy applied to all smokeless powder ammunition up to .45

so I’m guessing factory ammunition isn’t suitable.

I need to get the bare essentials to reload and didn’t want to break the bank? 

Any advice would be great...😊

cheers

Murph

You will have to down-load a lot and that's not as easy as it might appear.  Is there a reason why a .308?  What distance is the range?

Join a different club and use their ranges such as Kingsbury...Offas Dyke ?

I would suggest you don't think about downloading .308, it's really not for a novice (apologies if you're not).  I love the .308 and it's a good and reasonably cheap(ish) option but it's way over your range limits and 100yds is only good for zeroing (IMHO).

Join a good club like Offa's Dyke and you'll be set for loads of shooting.

For your local range I'd get a carbine in 44Rem or maybe a 45/70 if you like a shoulder massage!  Most rifle rounds will be over your range limits

3 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I would suggest you don't think about downloading .308, it's really not for a novice (apologies if you're not).  I love the .308 and it's a good and reasonably cheap(ish) option but it's way over your range limits and 100yds is only good for zeroing (IMHO).

Join a good club like Offa's Dyke and you'll be set for loads of shooting.

For your local range I'd get a carbine in 44Rem or maybe a 45/70 if you like a shoulder massage!  Most rifle rounds will be over your range limits

There has been 308 on my local range how effective it was I have no idea, I’ve never attempted to hand load so I will take my time and make sure I get someone to walk me through a few loads before I do safetly.

1 hour ago, Murphy2para said:

I think long term Offas would be good just want to get the right setup locally first.

There are any number of clubs using ranges where you just won't need to worry about 308 restrictions.

2 hours ago, bradders said:

You could just get a .300 BLK/.300 Whisper, that'll do the trick nicely

Top answer ☝️ 

Not being funny here but after a while your going to be so unsatisfied with a .308 win running reduced loads . You  have a rifle that’s going to be able to shoot 600 / 800 / 1000

at least join another club so you can gets some real range time .  

If you join a club with decent range access it'll cost you £100ish.  That's not much to add to a good .308 & scope combo.  You'll be bored after a short while with 100yds, save that for a .22LR 😁

Archived