Bump shoulder back

Long Gun

Hello all, 

I currently neck size only, I'm informed that at some point I'll need to bump my case shoulders back and I'm wondering at about how many reloads you would expect this to become a neccesity? 

Shooting 6.5 Creedmoor with Lapua brass at moderate pressures. Currently sitting around 3 reloads per case. 

Thanks. 

The trouble is if you have reloaded them and there to tight to chamber you have too pull them all and start again.i used a 25 06 neck sizer and f l sized every few firings and never had a problem.most of the experts would say f l size and forget neck sizing.i wouldn't bother to neck size anymore.

You will start to feel a bit of resistance when chambering the rounds, a little is ok in a bolt gun.

Then use a body / FL die next time around. Use a headspace comparator and adjust to knock the shoulder back ~2 thou

Thanks for the responses thus far. I'm now looking to get a body die to go with my neck sizer to bump my shoulders back, is it simply a case of screw the die in and use it just like my neck sizer? Or is one of those fiddly setting up jobs that requires me to shell out for more bits of measuring equipment? 

If you don't want to be fiddling every time you decide to shoulder bump you best get a set of comp shell holders and be done with it,,,,work out which is the best one to use with your body die and your done.best results come from partial shoulder bump every time you reload.The comp shell holder set is around £60 but once bought they will last a lifetime and can be used with any cal that has a similar bolt face to your 6.5cm{lots then!}....O

Depends what you are doing. Why not resize it every time and have a constant load ? Seems like a plan.  There was a view once upon a time that best accuracy was achieved by neck sizing only, but that seems to have been debunked.

Overworking the brass is one common reason for not fully resizing the brass. Is that really a problem? Views differ.

SO - I use Redding body dies. Nowt to adjust really. Set it up square and away you go. Works fine.

IF - you want to be a bit more precise/techhy then you can get some shell holders from Redding (+others?) that control how much you bump the shoulder back. 2 thou bump is a popular number for some reason. I suppose it gives a consistent minimum amount of squeeze so you get a consistent minimum resized round. I suspect there is a way you can adjust the die to achieve the same thing but without the small expense, can't remember how.

Basically I have the kit but don't bother with it. I fl resize with a body die and then resize the neck. The AI will do 0.25 moa consistently without coal tuning so its not a terrible practice.  Rather not risk failing to load a round

The competition shell holders go up in 2 thou increments - up to 8 or 10 thou i think . Like onehole i use them and bump the neck 4 thou back as this was recommend by word class target shooters , from a slightly tight case id bump back 3-4 thou . It can be measured if you have the right tools . Atb.

Archived