7mm Shehane

Ballistol

Read up as much as I can on the 7mm Shehane, and would like to ask some questions to people using this cartridge, particularly from a UK perspective.

Which bullet is most popular for 1000 yard competitions?

Similarly, which powder? As I assume choice will become more restricted going forward.

And finally, which brass? 

Thanks in advance.

Berger hybrid 180g

H4831sc (for me ) I have a few pounds left

Think others have shifted to RS powders

Lapua or Norma brass 

I use 6.5 x284  and go from there

I believe Norma mage 284 Specific now

Hi although I don’t shoot shehane , I do shoot 7mm. Using Viht 165 with a moderate load. Lapua Scenar L 180g and Lapua brass necked up from 6.5x 284 to 7mm.

Maybe o should try the Shehane next time and I will have more room for the powder I put in.i tried H4831sc in my 284 and it was slower than I wanted.think it was near max and 2740fps with a 180gr hybrid  rings a bell.they were accurate but not anymore than N165 that is faster and took it over 2800fps.

180 grain Hybrid or VLD and I'm afraid 4831 sc is the go to powder. 

If I do another Shehane I will probably go the 7mm walker or KPM route. Both are effectively a Ackley improved Shehane, you're firing forming anyway, so why not get that extra bit of case capacity that will let you use N165 and get velocities equal or above the standard Shehane.

Shot against Mik Mak at Bisley at the first of the f class league shoots who was using the 284 KMR (mine is a shehane)

The KMR  had a slight velocity advantage 

Yes, I believe that short cut is still the go to powder 

My feeling is that 4831sc is best suited to the .284 and Shehane, above that with the magnums my first powder choice would be N165, if that didn't work I would then look at 4831sc. I know a few people using RS70 and doing well with it, I'm not sure about what sort of velocities they are achieving.

Rutland12 said his 7mm saum was pushing the hybrid 3070fps on RS70 but was temperature sensitive at what temp it spikes around didn't say.i have got half a tub of both H4831sc and H4831.enough to do several coarses of fire.shoot a few test groups then load them up just to use it up.

Archived