Importing Blaser (custom) barrels

Hobbit

Hi

I am looking to get a couple of barrels for my Blaser R8 - one for stalking in 6.5CM and one match profile in 308

The issue is that the factory sporter profile 6.5CM is a 1/10 twist which will not stabilise the heavier 120gr-140+gr bullets I want to use to get the most out of the calibre and the wait on the factory match barrel is long. Given reports that the custom house is both unresponsive and expensive even for blaser (I suspect that their pricing person was taught to charge in Africa by a particularly misanthropic and recently wounded Rhino) I have looked at custom options.

In the UK I understand that brock and Norris will rebarrel your existing barrel and 'stub' but my only R8 barrel, in 308, is still going strong. I am not aware of other local options.

Looking abroad I found bix n'Andy who have an excellent reputation for triggers and I have them in my R8 GRS stock and a carbon stock - http://bixn-andy.at/en/laeufe/

This looks good and I am getting in touch - I wondered what the import process would look like given the barrel will need to be proofed etcany thoughts on this and wider r8 barrel question?

Thank you

Cumbrian - Yes - they are proofed in Austria - Is this definitely acceptable in the UK? Apologies for my ignorance here.

Gazzar - Base price for a semiweight/match profile R93 barrel in 308 or similar standard caliber is Euro1125 - 1050 for standard barrel and +75 for the nonstandard profile. Threading, coating etc is extra

I will be looking to get 2 barrels from him - will let you know how it goes

Best

James

CIP proofed items are perfectly legal here. The UK conforms to CIP. All sako's , Tikka's etc are cip proofed only. Never see our proof houses.

I fully expect that to change after Brexit however.

56 minutes ago, baldie said:

CIP proofed items are perfectly legal here. The UK conforms to CIP. All sako's , Tikka's etc are cip proofed only. Never see our proof houses.

I fully expect that to change after Brexit however.

There certainly shouldn't be any changes post-Brexit as CIP is not related to Europe, there are CIP member nations outside the EU.

Quick follow up - Andy has a price list and list of possible contours etc

One thing that he said was that "I would need your import license to get the export permit"

Is this just my UK FAC with relevant slots? or do I need an import licence, could I ask a dealer here to receive the barrels?

He is based in Austria

Best

James

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

Quick follow up - Andy has a price list and list of possible contours etc

One thing that he said was that "I would need your import license to get the export permit"

Is this just my UK FAC with relevant slots? or do I need an import licence, could I ask a dealer here to receive the barrels?

He is based in Austria

Best

James

I'm not an expert but did speak with the Department for International Trade about acquiring an import lisence (for bits from the US).

As I understand it, for individuals acquiring non restricted firearm components (e.g. not Section 5) - so that's chambered barrels, triggers, actions and bolts - as long as each item is clearly stated on your FAC you don't need an import. You simply show customs your FAC with the specified items listed on your FAC under 'authorised to acquire' and you are all good - you can simply pick them up and drive away. No need to involve a dealer.

i quote a licensing manager;

"Please see 17 to 20 of the attached Notice for guidance on the HMRC personal import concession for personal non-commercial imports of privately owned firearms, component parts and ammunition.  The advice that the Home Office firearms section have given is that you will need to have slots listed on your Firearms Certificate for the items that are classed as component parts, i.e. the receiver, bolts and trigger in order to be able to acquire and possess them."

<I then replied, then got the following response>

"That is correct, you do not need an import licence for the component parts providing that you hold the relevant authority to acquire and possess them at the time of import and that they are freely declared to UK customs."

I found them to be most helpful enquiries.ilb@trade.gsi.gov.uk

As an aside, I spoke to head of BASC firearms licinsing/legal (i'm a paid up member) and asked about import lisencing. I was given completely inaccurate & duff info - quite the opposite of what the Gov department who issues imports had to say. Got the impression he thought he knew it all but clearly he needs to go back to school.

Archived