Selling a moderator

Hi all

After some advice regarding selling a moderator.

If I sell one do I keep the slot so I can do a one for one or should I tell the licensing office first?

I've only ever sold via rfd before

Thanks

Andy

Andy,as on all these types of query,just ask your FLO first,then you will be clear about your position from the person who matters most,and the proper proceedure-its not complicated.

gbal

This is my understanding of the situation

Does the moderator you want to sell have a serial number and is that serial number noted on your FAC.

If it is then it's a one for one to change your moderator.

If there's no serial number on the moderator and the calibre of the moderator is not marked or listed on your FAC or you want to change for a moderator of the same calibre, then you can go to an RFD, trade in your old moderator and buy a new one from him without any involvement of the Police - There is no traceability back to your old moderator so they cannot know if you have changed it.

If you sell it privately to someone who has a slot for a moderator, then you'll have to do a one for one (unless the person to whom you sell the moderator just happens to have a moderator that you want and you could possibly then simply do a swap)

I went to my RFD and traded in a 30 cal Hardy Gen 4 with no serial number for a 6mm DPT with no serial number (both for a 243 rifle)

My FAC simply says "Full Bore Moderator"

Cheers

Bruce

I wish I had asked the question.

I decided to sell my mod for my .204 while the Fac was in for an amendment. (They forget a rifle that was on it after it was back for a variation)

Mine had no visible numbers. I sold it privately but needed to be sent via RFD. My ticket came back a few weeks later. I was under the impression that as I already had one only my ticket and the RFD had taken possession of it I could purchase another. Lol. How wrong was I. The ticket had to go back. Gutted. Still waiting for the return. I haven't shot my .204 since July!! It should be back soon. (I hope!)

My fault. But what a crazy waste of the Firearms department time. The mind boggles on the legislation.

Thanks for replies

It is listed with a serial number.As said I'll give them a call with my intention as I will be swapping it for a rifle slot hopefully if I sell it

Thanks

Andy

Andy,then you needs must phone your FLO- 'one for one' generally means "one item for a similar one'.....as in ''rifle for rifle',or 'mod for mod' but not "a mod sold and a rifle added"....you may well get permission for another rifle,but not on a 'one for one' free basis....

...at the very least,you need to clarify this ,as yoy say,before you act on what seems to be your current assumption (apologies if I'm reading you incorrectly,but phone in any case-see blacknsilvers predicament...eg...).

gbal

This is my understanding of the situation

Does the moderator you want to sell have a serial number and is that serial number noted on your FAC.

If it is then it's a one for one to change your moderator.

If there's no serial number on the moderator and the calibre of the moderator is not marked or listed on your FAC or you want to change for a moderator of the same calibre, then you can go to an RFD, trade in your old moderator and buy a new one from him without any involvement of the Police - There is no traceability back to your old moderator so they cannot know if you have changed it.

If you sell it privately to someone who has a slot for a moderator, then you'll have to do a one for one (unless the person to whom you sell the moderator just happens to have a moderator that you want and you could possibly then simply do a swap)

I went to my RFD and traded in a 30 cal Hardy Gen 4 with no serial number for a 6mm DPT with no serial number (both for a 243 rifle)

My FAC simply says "Full Bore Moderator"

Cheers

Bruce

Sorry but no !!!

The mod on ones fac is listed specifically. Lack of serial number is NOT relevant.

You have authority to possess a mod. The dealer has sold you that mod and entered THAT mod on your fac. If you dispose of it, it must be treated the same as disposing of any other item entered on your FAC.

The same as if you had an old rifle with no serial number !!!

Andy,I'm sure you're getting the sensible point-forget all this 'no traceability"/"they cannot know" etc-it is not a matter of maybe getting away with anything.

Buck stops with you

Follow your FLO.

g

Sorry but no !!!

The mod on ones fac is listed specifically. Lack of serial number is NOT relevant.

You have authority to possess a mod. The dealer has sold you that mod and entered THAT mod on your fac. If you dispose of it, it must be treated the same as disposing of any other item entered on your FAC.

The same as if you had an old rifle with no serial number !!!

Correct answer and despite how stupid it might seem its still the law

Andy,I'm sure you're getting the sensible point-forget all this 'no traceability"/"they cannot know" etc-it is not a matter of maybe getting away with anything.

Buck stops with you

Follow your FLO.

g

Yes I wouldn't be comfortable going down Bruces route even if my MOD was not serial numbered.

I'll make the call

Cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,then you needs must phone your FLO- 'one for one' generally means "one item for a similar one'.....as in ''rifle for rifle',or 'mod for mod' but not "a mod sold and a rifle added"....you may well get permission for another rifle,but not on a 'one for one' free basis....

...at the very least,you need to clarify this ,as yoy say,before you act on what seems to be your current assumption (apologies if I'm reading you incorrectly,but phone in any case-see blacknsilvers predicament...eg...).

gbal

a slot is a slot

generally a moderator can/will be added as a free addition without the need for a variation fee, but that is force/authority dependent.

you can swap a mod authority for a rifle authority as a "1-4-1" but will still have to demonstrate good reason

I have done it several times over the years

Archived