1 more sleep........

baldie

The weather this year was a challenge. I scored 31 fewer points overall and was 4th overall in my class, why, well the two bouts of tropical torrential rain for Detail A at 500 to 300 yards on Saturday did not help but I feel that I had dropped behind well before that but surprisingly not as far as I thought. I shot a .223 all the way through, same rifle in every match, no bipod just sling and magazine rested, however, the .223 even with 77 SMKs cannot compete at long range with a challenging wind against a 6.5 (Berger Hybrid 140 Grain) where a wind shift will move me from the 5 ring to a 2 and the same shift moves the 6.5 from the centre of the 5 ring to the edge of the 5 ring. I won the Short Range Aggregate in Practical Optic but was 46 points behind in the Long Range Aggregate.

Not withstanding my efforts the guy who won overall (1160) was using a .223 (RWS Target Elite Plus 69 grain) and he was ahead of the highest Practical Optic shooter (1144) who had used a combination of .308 at Short Range (100 yards and less) and 6.5 Creedmoor at longer range (200 to 500 yards).

Bottom line is you can buy points up to a point but skill still beats technology.

So the bloke that won using a combination of 2 rifles does that mean he carried 2 rifles on the course or do you shoot close range and distance seperatly?

You have to use the same rifle all the way through a Match. A Match may consist of either a single practice or a series of practices, if a match has more than one practice the same rifle has to be used in all practices.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived