Long Range Accuracy bipod

Tried Atlas bipod, few things didn't like about it, few that I did!

Looking at LRA bipod, aware that at least one forum member uses one and rates it highly. Any others using one?

They are expensive though, so want opinions before taking purchase further!

Cheers ...

I use an LRA F-class... ... ...

I don't know if I'm the "other forum user" but I love my LRA bipod. I've used it for around a year now and wouldn't swap it for anything else currently available. I had originally wanted an Atlas 5H, but the ridiculous delays on this plus the weird changes to the original design put me off.

1776057A-C296-4ABA-8F7E-8200E2267EC9_1.j

2135129C-2B35-4DB4-B859-92BA3D3B822D_1.j

Positives:

• Robust
  • Wide stance
  • Large adjustment range (leg length, leg tilt, rifle cant)
  • Positive adjustments
  • Easily changed feet (spikes, cleats, rubber shoes)
  • Well made
  • Well finished
Negatives:

• Poor QD fastener - replaced mine with an American Defence QD mount
Would I buy one again ... ... ... Hell yes!

Supply is the biggest issue - I'm not aware of anyone in the UK stocking them, but I may be wrong. I bought mine from V*e*r*t*e*b*r*a*e Store in Norway who have them periodically, best ask Joachim or Kenneth about current stock. The makers in the US seem pretty apathetic about exporting as the domestic market is so buoyant.

There are three categories of front rests for Accurate distance shooting.

The spring loaded,rubber feet type-Harris,Atlas,LRA aand some others-recent new idea is to 'suspend the rifle below the bipod fixing....these are the lightest designs,and generally easy to atach/remove and best for field shoooting,or 'precision' competition,and Fclass where weight becomes an issue. "Hop" can be an issue-but 'loading' the pod can help-if you like that technique...

Then there are the 'ski foot' bipods-generally heavier,dont fold away-slide on the ski feet under recoil,to give probably a better more stable shooting platform...but heavier,more cumbersome. Remple is excellent,Evolution ok-and Fclass useable,SEB joypod is indeed a joy,becaiuse of the coaxial control....

And the (coaxial) heavy Bench Rests-rifle free recoils in the fron rest.very heavy (20 lb sometimes) best platform when they can be used -SEBS,,Farley etc-but 20 lbs or so Really only for extreme accuracy Bench Rest use-but the best aid to precision.

On the flexing bipods,much is personal choice and 'style' -as you say. And availability as DW 58 says.

Flexible fixing methods to rifles vary- and not all options are available readily.

Price escalates from Harris to Seb coaxial.

There are somethings worth a read,like 'Getting Started in F Class Part 2-the trouble with bipods",but new models and designs apprear quite regularly....

As ever,try before you buy,if possible...

gbal

I would also look at a bi pod DS-1 showed me at the British Shooting Show by a Czech firm. Very similar to LRI. However I believe a better cradle bringing the centre of gravity lower.

Can you send details Scotch Egg?

I would also look at a bi pod DS-1 showed me at the British Shooting Show by a Czech firm. Very similar to LRI. However I believe a better cradle bringing the centre of gravity lower.

Can you send details Scotch Egg?

I use an LRA F-class... ... ...

I don't know if I'm the "other forum user" but I love my LRA bipod. I've used it for around a year now and wouldn't swap it for anything else currently available. I had originally wanted an Atlas 5H, but the ridiculous delays on this plus the weird changes to the original design put me off.1776057A-C296-4ABA-8F7E-8200E2267EC9_1.j2135129C-2B35-4DB4-B859-92BA3D3B822D_1.j

Positives:

• Robust
  • Wide stance
  • Large adjustment range (leg length, leg tilt, rifle cant)
  • Positive adjustments
  • Easily changed feet (spikes, cleats, rubber shoes)
  • Well made
  • Well finished
Negatives:
  • Poor QD fastener - replaced mine with an American Defence QD mount
Would I buy one again ... ... ... Hell yes!

Supply is the biggest issue - I'm not aware of anyone in the UK stocking them, but I may be wrong. I bought mine from V*e*r*t*e*b*r*a*e Store in Norway who have them periodically, best ask Joachim or Kenneth about current stock. The makers in the US seem pretty apathetic about exporting as the domestic market is so buoyant.

You are that forum member!

You are that forum member!

I thought as much - I'd also be interested in the DS-1 bipod.

You might like to look at the Atlas 5H which is similar in concept to the LRA, but not in my opinion as well executed. The strength of the Atlas 5H is in its legs which are the same asprevious Atlas pods, but the cant system is IMO much poorer than that of LRA.

If I could inprove the LRA, I'd go for the LRA but with Atlas legs but only as they are slightly easier to adjust. Otherwise I'd ditch LRA's utterly useless QD Picatinny mount and add something like the American Defense which My son retro-fitted to mine.

On another thread think someone said the 5H was not good, I hate the rotating legs of an atlas, and the leg adjustment (prefer the notch leg adjustment of Harris which I think is similar to LRA one?).

See Europtic do leg extension for LRA too...

For my purposes (mainly club shooting and a bit of FTR) the LRA is plenty high enough. I got a set of cleated feet with mine which I've never used so far, but didn't see the need for longer legs.

The LRA's legs are incremental like a Harris, but not spring loaded.

As Scotch said I did bring some Czech products over with me to the BSS. The Czech version of the LRA bipod has some good features including adjustable feet, carbon legs and two cradle designs, a wider f class cradle and narrower Tactical one. Still weight is nearly 1kg. There was a thread called wide leg bipod or something like that I posted some pics.

Personally I am still using a Harris brms until I find a better bipod that I don't have to preload. Accuracy tech or accurate pod make one based on a ball joint principle but the c of g is still low.

I am waiting to see what the Spartan fulcrum bipod looks like. It will be made from carbon and titanium so will be reassuringly very expensive. ( Spartan / javelin is a UK company).

Scotch, I would wait at the moment and see what the fulcrum from Spartan ends up like. I spoke with them last week and they said it should be ready in 3 or 4 months.

Scotch, I would wait at the moment and see what the fulcrum from Spartan ends up like. I spoke with them last week and they said it should be ready in 3 or 4 months.

The Fulcrum looks interesting, but it's not wide enough for my liking.

ive got an http://www.evolutionbipod.com/ which seems to combine the atlas best bits with the Harris best bits and adds a few new ideas

not sure they are F class bipods but if you use an atlas or a Harris then guess they would suit to

suits my Hunting guns with the QD to swap about and modularity for height and Tripod adapter etc

12971016_10207788248002245_5533177969356

ive got an http://www.evolutionbipod.com/ which seems to combine the atlas best bits with the Harris best bits and adds a few new ideas

not sure they are F class bipods but if you use an atlas or a Harris then guess they would suit to

suits my Hunting guns with the QD to swap about and modularity for height and Tripod adapter etc

12971016_10207788248002245_5533177969356

Thanks for adding another in the mix...

Archived