So I recently sold my TRG for one reason or another, and now in a position to buy again, initially decided TRG again but then thought push the boat out as I am fed up of sending for variations, and I am about to join a new club that is concentrating on F-Class, and I am into my military rifles.

So there are a few Accuracy International AW knocking around, for a similar price to the newer AT. I am struggling between deciding between a AW which is about £700 more but an AW!!! Over a similar spec AT, albeit the AT newer and less expensive.

Do you think the AW will ultimately be the one to have being the original AI AW or not ( it is a lot of money to invest in a rifle without thinking of the future, and I am a buy once, suffer the bank balance drop once sort of guy and forget about it ), and secondly is the AT better than the AW? Or is the AW better than the AT?

Thank you for all your advice.

What about a AX? ive a mint 2015 , in the latest green finish, stunning looking rifle,

ive also got a 2016 AWSM ! also mint!

Both for sale!

but that said the AT's a really ok rifle, but it will always be the poverty version!!!

What about a AX? ive a mint 2015 , in the latest green finish, stunning looking rifle,

Both for sale!

but that said the AT's a really ok rifle, but it will always be the poverty version!!!

Are they in .308, what are you wanting for them? What is the difference between AX and AW. The AW is classic, but it is a better rifle over the AT.... I am interested tho in your rifles.

Both for sale!

Why are you selling them?

The Ax is 308 and have a 260 rem barrel , as im sure your aware these are switch barrel rifles.

The AW requires a set of tools to remove and replace the tube,

The AWSM is 338

Lack of use!

Hi

If you are considering getting into f class in any serious form and are a " buy once only type " may I suggest that you consider the following :-

Find the right club in your area as your top priority. As top class club competition only takes place on a monthly basis this may involve some travel.

Do your homework on your equipment. From your post I would guess that you are interested in ftr f class. I am a member of probably the best club in the UK and the rifle you are talking about is not one that is used to my knowledge by any of the members. My choice would be something like a P T and G / Joe West stock with good action and barrel set up. These are the set ups that win good club and f class league events.

Do the getting into shooting weekend with the f class league....this was worth every penny.

You may be then lucky enough to get the invite to join my club as I was at the same event.

You do not mention your location, is there a club near you ?

Good luck

Heed Rutland's advice. I attended the same weekend course he mentioned and it seriously highlighted how outgunned an AW type rifle is at the 900 and 1000 yard ranges.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the proud owner of an AW and it's a fantastic rifle but it the 26" barrel cannot compete against a gun with a 30" or 32" barrel.

I know it's not the done route into f class and I have never shot it myself, but one of friends has a 26inch AT it shoots 1/2 MOA and with a 155 grain Scenar is getting somewhere around 3050 fps with either N540 or 550 I am not sure and has turned in good scores in 1000 yd snaps which is a small target.

My thoughts just on the AIs - I have an Aw and AXMC - put a scope on a blokes AT a few days ago. I would take an AT over my AW, it is a bit more refined - rounder forend, key slot under forend and nicer machined stock. The big plus is the barrel change system.

After some time I prefer my Axmc over the AW or AT feature set. That would be my first choice, an AT second and an AW last.

I know it's not the done route into f class and I have never shot it myself, but one of friends has a 26inch AT it shoots 1/2 MOA and with a 155 grain Scenar is getting somewhere around 3050 fps with either N540 or 550 I am not sure and has turned in good scores in 1000 yd snaps which is a small target.

Carry on using N540 and or N550 and you'll shorten the barrel life considerably. True, both powders help increase MVs but the trade off is an eroded throat,and a fire cracked barrel.

It's not what I would do, I was told that FTR shooters were Burning out barrels in 1200 rounds shooting the 200 plus grain Bergers are they using single or double base powder? And would you class RS powers as single or double base Brillo?

Cheers Paul

It's not what I would do, I was told that FTR shooters were Burning out barrels in 1200 rounds shooting the 200 plus grain Bergers are they using single or double base powder? And would you class RS powers as single or double base Brillo?

Cheers Paul

RS60 is a double base powder and I believe RS52 is also but using a technology that means it doesn't burn hot like the Viht N series. With luck Laurie will chip in and give a definitive answer.

It's my understanding that the RS powders are high energy as opposed to double base. The difference is subtle but still there. From what I understand double base powders have NG in the mix from early on in the process and are usually ball powders like ramshot. The RS powders are NC based and then have are steeped in NG at the end of the process.

This is getting way off track (AI rifles).

But check out Reload Swiss site (summary below)

Reload Swiss site clarifies (though descriptors like 'single based' on nitrocellulose for all of them could confuse-and only some of them (RS 40,60,70,and 80) also have the 'unique impregnation method using nitroglycerin).

RS 36,50 ,52 and 62 also have the surface coated with camphor 'for balanced temperature'.

RS 70 'assures top performance,and has a 'modern lead free decoppering addition',as has RS 80.

There are other descriptors in places eg RS 50 is "Extremely benign",RS 60 is 'high performance';RS 62 has 'lower energy and less barrel wear';RS 52 has similar 'vivacity'-whatever that is!

So,the RS range of powders varies in their compostion(s)-all being described as nitrocellulose ("single based"-which is not quite the same as 'singe base') and some are close to Danny's/Brillo's descriptions,having enhanced 'energy' processing -those impregnated with nitroglycerin (more like old term doube base?). Some have a cooling camphor additive and some a decoppering additive.

RS powders are not all the some composition.

The site describes applications clearly enough ('level action' is a clear typo for 'lever action').

Laurie will have direct experience/testing.

gbal

Bertie Bee,one issue not directly touched on is the "purist/collector' issue,as distinct from the 'shooter/performance features' criteria.

They may overlap (they all shoot well) but the AW is the original,the others are derivatives (with perhaps desireable features for some,less so for others-price and availablity aside. Some scope there for preferences).

It's hardly unprecedented-one familiar example is the Winchester model 70 rifle-some much prefering the (now rarer) 'pre 64' version,though not neccessarily because it shot better-some features changed post '64,and the pre '64 is the more 'collectable investment',but not necessarily a better shooting rifle in hunting use.

gbal

Spoke with the RS people at the IWA, they use quickload do do some of their modelling which was interesting as I also use it. In the end the powders that I was interested in turned out to be double based ( for 338) so I dropped that idea for standard VV N 100 series powder. In 308 not found anything wrong with VV N140 at least in my AW.

Bertie Bee,one issue not directly touched on is the "purist/collector' issue,as distinct from the 'shooter/performance features' criteria.

They may overlap (they all shoot well) but the AW is the original,the others are derivatives (with perhaps desireable features for some,less so for others-price and availablity aside. Some scope there for preferences).

It's hardly unprecedented-one familiar example is the Winchester model 70 rifle-some much prefering the (now rarer) 'pre 64' version,though not neccessarily because it shot better-some features changed post '64,and the pre '64 is the more 'collectable investment',but not necessarily a better shooting rifle in hunting use.

gbal

Hi gbal, that's what my thinking was, most of my rifles have been bought with one eye on collectibility / investment as well as shooting. I am err....ing to an AW as they are just awesome, and may not shoot any better but will tick the boxes and I'll be a proud owner of a AW. If I need a more dedicated f-class rifle later as advised I may just get another, but I have rose tinted glasses for an Artic Warfare, just can't dig deep enough in my pockets for a original L96A1 green meanie!

Hi gbal, that's what my thinking was, most of my rifles have been bought with one eye on collectibility / investment as well as shooting. I am err....ing to an AW as they are just awesome, and may not shoot any better but will tick the boxes and I'll be a proud owner of a AW. If I need a more dedicated f-class rifle later as advised I may just get another, but I have rose tinted glasses for an Artic Warfare, just can't dig deep enough in my pockets for a original L96A1 green meanie!

Well, you might consider a 2013 AX in 308 I have for sale in the classifieds,,

Same action as the AW but with more refined / user orientated stock.

All the extra's and way cheaper than new...

Archived