Howa 1500 - 22BR

Big Al

It makes a welcome change for me to see a bit of bright colour on a rifle from time to time, its usually black, black or occasionally green :).

In this case the barrel, action and bottom metal is cerakoted in blue titanium. The barrel is a 26" 8 twist Sassen chambered in 22BR. The barrel is a heavy profile that was 1" at the muzzle and threaded 18x1, it will be used as a static long range vermin and target rifle so weight wasn't a problem. The throat was optimised for 77 TMK and 75 Amax. The bolt was fitted with a tactical knob and cerakoted in armour black. Trigger is from Rifle Basix and breaks at 14oz. Scope is a new IOR 9-36x50, stock is a GRS Berserk.

post-13063-0-33321400-1487271378_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-53437000-1487271370_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-29956400-1487271372_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-66667400-1487271373_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-00343600-1487271375_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-58381100-1487271376_thumb.jpg

Yep,,,thats different Alan,,,,,,very nice,,,,,,O

Alan ,,,,any info please on chamber reamer used ,,particularly interested in freebore or did you custom cut throat to suit ,,,,thanks,,,,,,D

I throat everything separately, all my reamers have short freebores for that reason. Its fine having long throat reamers to suit specific bullets but it just significantly increases the number of reamers you need and I cannot see any point in it if you are capable of throating separately correctly. Some will say the most accurate way to cut a throat is to have it built into the reamer but I dont buy into that at all. I can throat separately and keep things concentric to as good a tolerance as the best chamber.

• 1 month later...

Very nice Al.

Have you shot any groups with it, Or is that a job for the owner?!

Joe

Yesterday the new owner took this rifle Simon Mearns aka Si Snipe on here who owns Precision Rilfe Shooting for a days load development training. Apparently he had a great day learning how to develop a stable load and he got the results from his rifle that he was hoping for.

OCW test with RL15

post-13063-0-07426200-1489925449_thumb.jpg

Optimum seating depth was established at 0.015" off.

post-13063-0-87596100-1489925840.png

I believe Simon is in the final stages of obtaining an RFD and this will allow him to offer remote load development going forward, I think this is a great idea and one that will be popular. It will certainly help to get the best from the hard earned money we spend on our rifles.

Wow, fantastic group. What kind of range do the target boys use the 22BR on? Wondering if it'd be a good long range vermin caliber

Without a doubt Elliot, a 22BR shooting 77TMK's this well has the capability at ranges that most shooters dont.

22BR is plenty accurate enough for 600yd benchrest competitions but is less used than its big brother the 6BR which is better in the wind with the 105s. I think of the 22BR as more of a super accurate varminting cartridge than a competition one. One of the advantages of a 22BR is it gives good speed of the 77TMK which are an easy to tune bullet that have excellent fragmentation at range, something fewer and fewer bullets have these days and something LR varminters really need..

Without a doubt Elliot, a 22BR shooting 77TMK's this well has the capability at ranges that most shooters dont.

22BR is plenty accurate enough for 600yd benchrest competitions but is less used than its big brother the 6BR which is better in the wind with the 105s. I think of the 22BR as more of a super accurate varminting cartridge than a competition one. One of the advantages of a 22BR is it gives good speed of the 77TMK which are an easy to tune bullet that have excellent fragmentation at range, something fewer and fewer bullets have these days and something LR varminters really need..

Agree with all that , especially the last sentence ;)

Nice! How much to convert my 223 T3, Alan?!

You can't convert your 223 Rem to 22BR Elliott, they use different bolt faces. You need a .243 or .308 donor action which I usually have in stock.

Call me at work, Mon-Fri 10am-6pm if you need to discuss anything.

Having just received a rifle built by Alan in this very same calibre I can't recommend him enough!

Superb work, very pleasant and knowledgeable too boot!

Oh and the .22br he built be is quite the shooter, with next to no load work, and very rushed at that it's produced groups in the .1's!

Atb,

Joe

Archived