brass sliver

benny243

Afternoon people

I dont post on here very often but when I have you lovely people have always come up trumps,

The problem I have is after seating my heads (80gn nos/bt in 243 with lapua brass) i started to notice a very thin sliver of brass about the thickness of a hair around the mouth of the case where the head meets the case

Its as if when the heads seated the mouth of the case is slightly to small and shaves a bit off the head, i only noticed it on the last batch i loaded so with a very fine dentist pick i flicked the sliver off and accuracy is still spot on.

Any ideas to whats causing it would be great as I have O.C.D when it comes to reloads :)

Many thanks

benny

Yes all chamfered as normal, I wondered if there was something wrong with the sizing die (although I havnt noticed it before)

I always clean of any sizing lube with meths so i dont think thats the problem

What about a slightly oversized batch of bullet heads?

Benny

Can I suggest disassembling a couple of rounds and looking closely at the bearing surface of the bullet? Is it dented or scratched in any way? Does it require a lot of effort to free the bullet from the neck?

Can I also suggest disassembling the re-sizing die and giving it a thorough clean?

Is your seating die correctly adjusted? Could you be accidentally applying a crimp?

Finally, words only reach so far, could you post a photo of the issue?

Regards

JCS

Benny hi , i had this problem recently , and this was on brass sized with 1 and 2 thou bushing die . I got over it by replacing my rcbs chamfer to a lyman vld type and going slightly deeper than normal ! Std angle chamfer tools seem to leave a sharpish corner on the case mouth . And as copper is a soft metal - hence some 'shaving' . Or you could wire wool , but tiny debris could get into case ! Good luck .

J campbellsmith, ejg223 and gunner

many thanks for taking the time to reply, after listening to your advice I have had a close look at my case prepping

and its dawned on me that the problem started at the same time i started using an rcbs case prep centre.

The internal chamfer tool after looking close look is nowhere near as sharp as my old chamfer tool (looks like a brenneka slug)

So i'll go back to the old fashioned manual way

Thanks again

Buy or source a Hollands VLD chamfering tool for the inside of the case neck - use the Wilson style tool for the outside of the neck, then give the case a few turns on a scotch brite pad to remove burrs.

You shouldn't have shavings of copper anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived