Ultrasonic cleaning, worth it or not?

darkstar66

its ok but the stainless method is a better result but the ultrasonic has a place for a low cost alternative

its ok but the stainless method is a better result but the ultrasonic has a place for a low cost alternative

Cheers Spud! I think cost effective is the buzz word here as i dont clean hundreds of cases really maybe 50-60 at a time although that might change as just received my range cert for Bis!

you're only doing 50/60 then aldi do a little ultrasonic cleaner (so do a few others) thats twenty quid. using the method on 6mmbr.com it gives good results.

TBH I don't clean them with it every loading. I use walnut media in a homemade vibratory cleaner most times.

I will be switching to stainless media tumbling as so as I get that sorted.

I would vote for stainless having tried Ultrasonic and not been happy with the outcome or the volume..... the results of SS media are amazing.

if you need tumblers actr fast as i have only 2 left from this shipment and they could be a whilke for thenext ones to arrivve

I plan to build one to the scale I need. blatantly copying a homemade one of you tube I have the advantage of the bits required being to hand less the media. Which baring my "free" time will be the only outlay.

Hi,

I use media from a lymen tumbler, put this in a stone polishing machine with a squirt of Goddard's copper and brass cleaner and they come out like new

atb

barnacle

Im using lizard bedding from the local garden ctr ( walnut husk ) and brasso, works for me!

Interesting you're using Brasso, I've just tried that and the cases came out mirror like!

Did read after I did it though that Brasso is a bad idea as it has ammonia in it which will/might/won't kill the case (depending on who's article you're reading) I'm going to give it a go with a few hundred .45ACP since their low pressure anyway I'm guessing any deterioration will be negligible.

Interesting you're using Brasso, I've just tried that and the cases came out mirror like!

Did read after I did it though that Brasso is a bad idea as it has ammonia in it which will/might/won't kill the case (depending on who's article you're reading) I'm going to give it a go with a few hundred .45ACP since their low pressure anyway I'm guessing any deterioration will be negligible.

I've seen similar but would rather not take the chance on won't, there are additives to put in with the media (although what escapes me ATM) for case cleaning which are safe

Has anybody done a back to back and double blind testing with consistency of speed and shot between

Ultrasonic cleaned and stainless media cleaned brass ?

Just curious

Spoken to SPUD A few times about it

I know it works wonder

Just cannot justify the cost for the volume I shoot rifle as an amateur

Im using lizard bedding from the local garden ctr ( walnut husk ) and brasso, works for me!

Try jeweller's rouge. It gives a lovely shine; not that it makes a blind bit of difference to accuracy.

I once read bad things about Jewelers Rouge used with rifle brass... gets into the bore etc I think the issue / problem was... quite abrasive!

I have used brasso and husk for many years, it damages nothing! Your brass will frankly be totally done in well before any adverse chemical effects from the brasso if at all. You only use a tiny amount while the machine is running (think in terms of three teaspoons in a large tumbler and 100 cases)

Has anybody done a back to back and double blind testing with consistency of speed and shot between

Ultrasonic cleaned and stainless media cleaned brass ?

Just curious

Spoken to SPUD A few times about it

I know it works wonder

Just cannot justify the cost for the volume I shoot rifle as an amateur

If you're any good at diy there are some very easily built tumblers on youtube.

Media from Spud

Aldi lidl £20 ultrasonic cleaners are on offer every so often if you have one of their stores near you.

I have used brasso and husk for many years, it damages nothing! Your brass will frankly be totally done in well before any adverse chemical effects from the brasso if at all. You only use a tiny amount while the machine is running (think in terms of three teaspoons in a large tumbler and 100 cases)

Well that's good to hear. I couldn't really see it having a major affect especially with pistol calibre cases. I think I used about your suggested quantity and the results were fantastic, the brass looked like new!

I use a proprietary case cleaning ultrasonic bath and the one from Aldi. The Aldi one is OK but a tad small so I only use it for small cases or batches of 10 .308 cases. It also operates at a lower frequency, so takes longer to clean the case.

I've used several cleaning solutions including a 50-50 mix of distilled white vinegar and water and found the Hornady solution the best even if a bit expensive. My cleaning regime (when I do it) is:

Run cases in tumbler for 3 hours.

De-cap and size cases

Ultrasonic until all carbon is removed from inside and primer pockets are nice and clean.

Sometimes (more often than not) I'm lazy and the only cleaning I do is to clean the primer pocket.

And I have never noticed the difference in accuracy between the cleaned and dirty case ammo. I'm now forming the opinion that cleaning it is a waste of time. Has anyone else experienced the same?

I use a proprietary case cleaning ultrasonic bath and the one from Aldi. The Aldi one is OK but a tad small so I only use it for small cases or batches of 10 .308 cases. It also operates at a lower frequency, so takes longer to clean the case.

I've used several cleaning solutions including a 50-50 mix of distilled white vinegar and water and found the Hornady solution the best even if a bit expensive. My cleaning regime (when I do it) is:

Run cases in tumbler for 3 hours.

De-cap and size cases

Ultrasonic until all carbon is removed from inside and primer pockets are nice and clean.

Sometimes (more often than not) I'm lazy and the only cleaning I do is to clean the primer pocket.

And I have never noticed the difference in accuracy between the cleaned and dirty case ammo. I'm now forming the opinion that cleaning it is a waste of time. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Me. I see no difference in accuracy, either. I used to just give the neck a twist with #0000 steel wool if it was carboned up. The only reason I like US cleaning is that the dammed primer pockets come out clean. I hate cleaning primer pockets and find it the most tedious of all reloading steps. (I do it, but I hate it) Shiney brass it just shiney and I couldn't care. The US leaves them clean and dull but Lordy! The primer pockets are clean!~Andrew

Archived