RL17 results in 6.5x47

Guest richness

Guest richness

Guys, i've been testing RL17 in 6.5x47, compared to RL15. It follows on from the thread 585y and 750y in varminting section. I've just copied the last posting on the subject and thought a new thread would be better:

WELL check this out!

Preliminary testing shows serious fps gains when using RL17:

37.6gr RL15 in 29" trueflite with 123 scenars gives 2965 with a spread of about 18fps

and does an inch at 400y

42.3gr RL17 gave 3115fps and an spread over 3shots of only 9fps

and a 4shots group went into a fingernail at 200y

Pressure were, if i had to take a bet, lower with the RL17 load. These loads of both RL15 and RL17 were only just starting to crater the primer. Primer is not flatening yet, certainly not flat and bolt lift is not sticky. Rifle feels smooth and not thumpy. Noise more with RL17.

This is a case full to the neck with RL17. I imagine 43 could be got in, just about, if you're happy to compress it a bit.

I know i only fired 3 over chrony and only 4 at target but these are seriously exciting early results: 150fps gain! I plugged it into the ballistic calculator and it drops whole minutes less out at 700+ yards

Guest richness

Right, i got out again with some RL17 loads, to further fine tune them. They needed to be real good as the RL15 load is stupidly accurate and 150fps extra from RL17 is all well and good but accuracy needed to be well sub 0.5moa for my mission of a 1ky+ rabbit in 2011.

42.3gr RL17. 10tho IN. 450. Lapua. Forster dies.

100y. I don't normally test at 100y as i find it hard to tell loads apart properly but the weather forced my hand today.

10mph 12:00 wind. This did a ragged cluster (see pic)

2thou shorter did a slightly tighter cluster (see pic)

42.3gr did well but 41.7 shot me my first one hole group at 100y :D (definitely see pic!)

FPS of the 42.3 is 3110. 41.7 i don't expect to be much lower at all as there was a little part burned powder in mod at 42.3, hence my thought to drop powder charge a little

Si-snipe an I are out on the hill this weekend so we'll report back :)

Your results look promising Rich.

With those kinds of velocities you may be aswell off shooting the 139 scenar.

I read on accurateshooter.com about a fella who was having excellent results with r17 and 139. 2925 fps he was getting. Thats knocking on the door of 6.5x284!

Over here, a fellow shooter shoots snipercomps eg finland etc claims to be getting over 3000fps with 139 and vihtavouri powder but he says he has to chuck his cases in the bin after 2 firings. I dont want to go down that road.

What length is youre barrel?

A tub abd a box of 139's might just have to be purchased by me for some experimentation :)

Regards

Garry

Guest richness

Indeed Garry. I simply prefer the 123gr as the velocity helps expansion on the rabbits. (and i have 350 of them...) 139s would prob be my choice for 1000y targets.

Rifle is R700 printed by Baldie. RifleBasix bench trigger. B.O. tactical bolt knob. Trueflite F-class 1/8 29" put on (very straight) by Steve Kershaw

HS-Precision double palm swell stock, bedded by myself.

IOR 9-36x56

PES LMC mod

I always use Versa-pods, not Harris

ATB Rich :)

Guest richness

Thats a super nice looking group Rich and will shoot well at long range I am sure.

Garry - Rich has a 29" tube.

Si

Thanks bud. I never really trust groups at 100y but a one holer i'll make an exception for mate :) Bustin keen to get out there on Sat :)

Thanks bud. I never really trust groups at 100y but a one holer i'll make an exception for mate :) Bustin keen to get out there on Sat :)

Something happening with that RL17 then and great to have some idea of where to start when I have a go but am desperate to run a cleaner powder than RL15 and will be trying Vit 140 and 150 soon under the 123 Amax.I know I wont get the velocity but happy to compromise on that one for a longer and accurate round count but may look to 540/550 if speed is really lacking.I,m with you on groups 100 is a waste of time other than a onehole which usually dont grow a lot by 200 in good conditions.Thanks for the tests they were very interesting.Will be trying the "140" tomorrow under some stonking accurate 123Amax heads will post up results good or bad in due course.cheers Onehole.

Watch your primer pockets with rel 17. It can open them like a wizard,s sleeve, And its usually just when you have achieved that extra 150 fps.

No such thing as a free lunch. ;)

Guest richness

Watch your primer pockets with rel 17. It can open them like a wizard,s sleeve, And its usually just when you have achieved that extra 150 fps.

Certainly not in Yorkshire ;)

thanks for the heads up dave as i am going to be using this powder for my new smoke pole

I was up at ballistic hamsters a few months ago,testing some loads over an oehler chrono???.

varget at 38.6g, 123 scenars shot my first five shot one hole,,

I have got the read out paper of his chrono!!!!

2914 fps, es-3, sd-1,,,, very hard to believe, but true ( Glen will back this up)

now ir re17 is better than this and easyer on cases then i will give it a go!!!!

There is a tub not far away from me now???

To be honest i have herd and seen a lot of 6.5x47 users getting one hole results,,

one chap at the diggle got one hole group on his first target with a new rifle,, Awesome!!!

Dave (Baldie) what was his name???, and he also did a good write up about it,,,

As i have said before, i have got a spare 6.5x47 on my ticket ready and waiting!!!!!

Keep it going ritch,, very interesting indeed,,,,

Small group shot at 300yrds at the diggle egg shoot or the fly shoot cant remember?

gunpics243.jpg

All the best Darrel, oh yes the group size was .4 of an inch

Something happening with that RL17 then and great to have some idea of where to start when I have a go but am desperate to run a cleaner powder than RL15 and will be trying Vit 140 and 150 soon under the 123 Amax.I know I wont get the velocity but happy to compromise on that one for a longer and accurate round count but may look to 540/550 if speed is really lacking.I,m with you on groups 100 is a waste of time other than a onehole which usually dont grow a lot by 200 in good conditions.Thanks for the tests they were very interesting.Will be trying the "140" tomorrow under some stonking accurate 123Amax heads will post up results good or bad in due course.cheers Onehole.

Tried the Vit140 today{37,37.5,38}but range was a bit windy and wet but to be honest I don,t think this powder is the way to go.However after 38 rounds of trying the bore was absolutley spotless and no fouling like the RL15.Gonna move on to Vit 540 and hopefully will maintain a clean bore and some more velocity.I am still reading your results with the RL17 ,can you tell me how your bores are looking after a few shots please,thanks.

Not knocking the "Reliant" brand here by the way just trying to find another way of lighting up the 6.5/47.cheers Onehole.

39g of Varget gets me to 3000fps with 123 Scenars and no dirty bore.

Some pressure, but not excessive.

If your pushing 3100+, expect to trash cases,,,,fast.

38 grains of vv540 gets me 2950, with a clean bore. Thats from a 28" tube. This was the first powder i tried, and i got fractionally better groups with rel 15, but inconsistant. People worry too much about marginal differences. Its a that which promotes growth and vigour shot that causes you to miss at longer range, not the powder.

38 grains of vv540 gets me 2950, with a clean bore. Thats from a 28" tube. This was the first powder i tried, and i got fractionally better groups with rel 15, but inconsistant. People worry too much about marginal differences. Its a that which promotes growth and vigour shot that causes you to miss at longer range, not the powder.

Thanks Baldie! I thought I might now be on the right track,just loaded up 37.5/38/38.5 and 39 of 540 to try.Trouble is I have changed two things at the same time having gone over to 450 primers from GM,s,,,,see what happens,Onehole.

I think you mean my mate chris Parkin Darrel ?

It was a .260 rem i built for him. He won the egg shoot, and the fly shoot with it.

No Dave, it was not chris??, He shot a fifty fifty at the mcqweens???

and he does a lot with 22 practical

Bergers will be on way to you in next few days Darrell.

Been up to my eyes, sorry

Garry

Hi Garry, Thanks a lot for doing this,, i an looking forwaed to trying them??,,

Just loaded some rounds at 38.3 instead of 38.6!!! might be easyer on the cases??

I will be happy if i get the same accuracy??,

how are you getting on with yours??

all the best lads, Darrel

PS, onehole i will do some measurements and get them posted,, barrel is now on about 1500 rounds,,,

Should be interesting????

Archived