6.5x55

tony

I was using 37g Varget behind my Sierra 140 but its just been rebarrelled and now i need to start load development again ^_^

I have excellent result with Berger VLD hunt throwing 140 grain with N160 46.0 grains behind it. Please start low this data is meant to be as reference and is for my rifle.

I have excellent result with Berger VLD hunt throwing 140 grain with N160 46.0 grains behind it. Please start low this data is meant to be as reference and is for my rifle.

I forgot to mention LH's sound advice in my post so here it is. My load was for my rifle, please be sensible and work up.

ATB

Sorry Guys,

Should have said, I have V-N160 powder to be used for this 140gr SGK, anyone got a good load for this.

Tony.

Sorry Guys,

Should have said, I have V-N160 powder to be used for this 140gr SGK, anyone got a good load for this.

Tony.

46gn Viht N160 sounds to me like the '44gn VihtN140' for the .308 :) I have had also good luck with 46gn N160 using 140gn Hornady SSTs. What gun are you using them in Tony??

Finman

Finman,

I am using them in my Sako 75 s/steel, I went up to a load of 44.5gr v-n160 very accurate but showing signs of pressure on base of case, now reduced to 44.0gr .020 off lands, no pressure signs but not as accurate.......... 3/4" at 100yds, do you think I can improve on this.

Tony.

Have now loaded the 140gr SGK with 36.8grs of Varget, .020" off lands, nice tight sub 1/2" group and no signs of pressure, :rolleyes: I recon I will stick with this load, will see what they are like at a longer distance soon.

Tony.

Finman,

I am using them in my Sako 75 s/steel, I went up to a load of 44.5gr v-n160 very accurate but showing signs of pressure on base of case, now reduced to 44.0gr .020 off lands, no pressure signs but not as accurate.......... 3/4" at 100yds, do you think I can improve on this.

Tony.

Well, as you have shown, you can improve on it...but, I've learned that 3/4" is fine for stalking out to 250yards... On another subject though, how do you feel for having so much of the case empty with the 36.8gn Varget? I would feel a bit uneasy having the powder lay down in the case when taking a shot with the gun horizontal...if that makes any sense. I think I read somewhere that as close to compressed load is a good thing, insofar uniform powder ignition goes, but my memory may be playing tricks on me...

I am surprised that you see pressure signs, my Sako 75 IV Hunter did not mind 46gn VihtN160 one bit...But, different barrels, different loads I guess..

Irrespective of all this, I love the round and can't wait to get a deer with it when the fallow season opens! (had a new barrel on mine as I managed to plunge the factory one into mud and it was never the same since...)

best wishes,

Finman

I shoot a Sako 75 stainless steel 6.5 x 55 and it likes 42gns of Vht N160 and 140gn sierra gamekings. I know my mate also has a 75 that prefers 44 gns of N 160. I know my rifle showed serious pressure signs with the 44gn load - after 3 shots the bolt was extremely stiff with heavy marking on the case heads. It's amazing how two of the same rifles like such different loads. Both will shoot 1/2" at 100yards all day long, more than good enough for me and what I use the rifle for.

Finman, I see what you mean regarding the load of 36.8gr of varget, having so much of the case empty, never given a thought before, however I have taken the load from the sierra loading manual so I guess it must be ok, it actually states that 35.8gr is the max load so I have gone 1.0gr over but as I said no pressure signs. The rifle itself, I am very pleased with it, should have got one a long time ago, its worth the extra.

Regards, Tony.

Finman, Just as a matter of interest, what barrel did you go for and who fitted it, did you have it bedded etc,

Tony.

Below is a target fired by my Tikka HB Varminter. [black.]

Max. load for the 140gr bullet is shown as 46.6 grains in my Vihtavouri booklet but work up to it as each rifle is an entity unto itself.

I am using 46gr in Privi Partisan brass with the bullets just off the rifling, similar results are obtained with Lapua brass.

Hornady bullet Ref.No.2630 Interlock.

HWH.

65X55withHornady140grSpirepoint.jpg

Finman, Just as a matter of interest, what barrel did you go for and who fitted it, did you have it bedded etc,

Tony.

Hi Tony,

the barrel is a Lothar Walther Magnum Sporter profile (I borescoped 4 of the same to pick this one up, some very interesting 'findings' in the three that I passed up...! If I ever fit another barrel, it'll definitely be a Pac-Nor) and it was fitted by Mike Norris who also bedded the rifle.

Best wishes,

Finman

Finman, how's your Rifle performing, have you done anymore load development or are you going to stick with what you've got.

Tony.

Finman, how's your Rifle performing, have you done anymore load development or are you going to stick with what you've got.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

the rifle is great. I have found a few loads that work (120gn PH, 49gn VihtN160, CCIBR2; 129gn Interlock 43.4gn RL17, Fed210M etc) but I have a feeling I haven't gotten the best out of it yet. I would normally go for the 140s next, but I have a 7x57 for that bullet weight, I am going to keep this one for the 129 max. The 140gn SST load that I mentioned before was for the old barrel, don't know if it suits this one and I am not prepared to buy a whole box of 140s to test it, when all the other bullet weights will do the job I ask of them.

best wishes,

Finman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Finman,

I've just gotten a new 6.5x55 and have been looking at 140 grain SSTs for my alround stalking load. Were you happy with the way they performed on small to medium size deer?

Regards,

Christian

Hi Finman,

I've just gotten a new 6.5x55 and have been looking at 140 grain SSTs for my alround stalking load. Were you happy with the way they performed on small to medium size deer?

Regards,

Christian

hi Christian,

all the deer I shot so far with the 6.5x55 were shot with a 120gn PH and it sure did the job. I am sure that the 140gn SST will do the job too :)

best wishes,

Finman

hi Christian,

all the deer I shot so far with the 6.5x55 were shot with a 120gn PH and it sure did the job. I am sure that the 140gn SST will do the job too :)

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Finman,

That's great, thanks for your reply. :) I'll see if I can build up a decent load.

All the best,

Christian

Hi Finman,

That's great, thanks for your reply. :) I'll see if I can build up a decent load.

All the best,

Christian

good luck! you won't have much trouble, the round is inherently accurate and you'll get a load that really shoots in no time. Do let us know how you get on!

What rifle are you using?

best wishes,

Finman

good luck! you won't have much trouble, the round is inherently accurate and you'll get a load that really shoots in no time. Do let us know how you get on!

What rifle are you using?

best wishes,

Finman

Thanks a lot!

I used to have a 6.5x55 (Kongsberg M595) in Denmark, which I shot a lot of roe deer with, but never reloaded for. Even with factory ammo it shot amazingly well. This new gun is a semi custom from Roedale with a PMII 4-16x50 / Aimpoint combo.

I want to do a target load with 140 grain SMKs and a hunting load with the aforementioned SSTs. I'm using Lapua cases and Vhit N160.

I'll keep you posted on the load development.

All the best,

Christian

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot!

I used to have a 6.5x55 (Kongsberg M595) in Denmark, which I shot a lot of roe deer with, but never reloaded for. Even with factory ammo it shot amazingly well. This new gun is a semi custom from [supplier name deleted - causes controversy whenever named on UK forums] with a PMII 4-16x50 / Aimpoint combo.

I want to do a target load with 140 grain SMKs and a hunting load with the aforementioned SSTs. I'm using Lapua cases and Vhit N160.

I'll keep you posted on the load development.

All the best,

Christian

Christian,a Hornady SST or Sierra GMK 140gn, 46gn N160 a Fed210M and Lapua cases and there aren't many things that can walk away once whacked with that. I won't be surprised if they all go in the same hole too :) let us know how you get on !!

Best wishes

Finman

Thanks for the input Finman. Much appreciated.

I ended up struggling to get the SSTs to shoot well with N160 in my gun, but they dumped a ton of energy on the roe I shot. Almost a little too much.

Instead of trying different poweders I switched to 130 grain AccuBonds. They didn't like the N160, but I had a tub of N550 that really did the job.

With 40.9 grain of VV N550 the 130 grain AccuBonds group between 3/4 and 1 minute at 100 and 200 yards from both bench and bipod - when I do my part.

I'm also very impressed with their performance on deer. I've shot roe, fallow and red (hinds) and the ABs really hit them hard at reasonable distances (out to about 250 yards).

My gun also really likes the 140 grain SMKs with 45.4 grain of VV N160 delivering groups of around 1/2 minute from both bench and bipod when I've tested loads at 100 and 200 yards.

For the record, I'm using Kapua cases and CCI BR2 primers.

NB: Please note, these loads are for my rifle and may not be safe in yours. Work any new load up from a safe powder weight.

I took two large mule deer doe this past week using the Sierra 140 GK's and both very pleasing kills. They shoot sub-half MOA at highway speeds from my X55. Picked up some SST's because they were 30% less than the GK's. I have yet to load any.~Andrew

Archived