6.5x55

tony

Morning Christian

I have HPS-TR reloading my Federal 6.5x55 brass, and their recipe is 46.7 grains of N160 pushing 140gr SSTs at 2,660fps MV. Nothing has walked beyond its own shadow out to 201yds with this load. Very much me dependent (ie no caffiene!), but I have grouped 5 rounds 1/2" @ 100yds, but more importantly can get the first round smack in the middle out of a cold barrel at the same distance.

It's a cracking round for everything in the UK! Enjoy

Rgds

iain

I have a question for you guys if you had a re barreled custom built rifle in 6.5 would you expect it to chamber factory ammo.

Yes, I would expect a custom build to chamber factory ammo.

I'm not an expert on neck turning, but think you could experience issues if a barrel had been made with very tight specs for turned cases. Not sure how normal such a build would be.

If you're having the slightest problems with chambering cartridges I strongly recommend not shooting your rifle. Take it to a professional gunsmith instead of fiddling with things yourself!

All the best,

Christian

Morning Christian

I have HPS-TR reloading my Federal 6.5x55 brass, and their recipe is 46.7 grains of N160 pushing 140gr SSTs at 2,660fps MV. Nothing has walked beyond its own shadow out to 201yds with this load. Very much me dependent (ie no caffiene!), but I have grouped 5 rounds 1/2" @ 100yds, but more importantly can get the first round smack in the middle out of a cold barrel at the same distance.

It's a cracking round for everything in the UK! Enjoy

Rgds

iain

Thanks Iain.

That's pretty good performance. I couldnt get the SSTs to shoot well in my gun, but have moved to AccuBonds. They shoot and work well.

Atb,

Christian

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Although this is not a 140gr SMK load, its pretty close I should think.

I recently got a Bolt action rifle put together using a Schultz & Larsen factory chambered 30" barrel.(1 in 10 twist)

After shooting a series of progressively loaded (.5gr increments) 3 round groups, the most accurate load was 45.0 grains N560 which gave a group size of 0.35" @ 100 yds and I also got a 5 round group of 1.5" @ 300 yards on a fig 11 (on a very hazy day too)

NB (I only have 65 rounds through this rifle at this time, so lots more tweaking to be done once cases are all fire formed.)

cases = Norma (factory resized, for first firing) length trimmed, deburred with a VLD cutter

Heads = Lapua Scenar Silver 139gr ( set for 0.020" off lands)

Powder = Viht N560 45.0 grains

Primer = Remington 9 1/2

FPS = 2600

Usual disclaimer:

This is what worked best in my rifle. It may be too high a load in another rifle.

REMEMBER, I worked up to this load. ALWAYS start low.

This information is provided for comparitive purposes only and is in no way a recommendation of any kind.

Great stuff,BBill!

I'd say load development was a done deal,and it's time to enjoy good shooting.

Of course,you can 'tweak'-or try to,but it's hard to imagine just what the benefit would really be,if your current groups stand up to retesting.What is it this load can't do!

gbal

Archived