Reloading for best accuracy...

snap_shot

Hi guys i'm just curious to find out how you all work up your accurate loads, and what procedures you use.

I've been loading now for many years, But i'd like to see if i can better my performance of my rounds.

i'm looking to get min. extreme spread, Although in a HUNTING rifle, i strive for best accuracy possible.

But sometimes i just think that all the prep isn't worth the hassle,

looking forward to your replies.

Snap.

Hi guys i'm just curious to find out how you all work up your accurate loads, and what procedures you use.

I've been loading now for many years, But i'd like to see if i can better my performance of my rounds.

i'm looking to get min. extreme spread, Although in a HUNTING rifle, i strive for best accuracy possible.

But sometimes i just think that all the prep isn't worth the hassle,

looking forward to your replies.

Snap.

Do you know that you have a rifle capable of better accuracy than what you are getting now??~Muir

just interested to see how others achieve their accuracy mate,

just looking to maybe learn a new technique....

Snap.

hi

muir does have a point.your rifle has to be up to the job regardless of how good the loaded round is.i appreciate though that your after some tips etc. give us an idea of the accuracy your getting,it makes a difference to whats left to achieve.

matt

The rifle is up to the job,its built by baldie on here, and shoots into .2's with 87g v-max in a .243 win spec.

but there are the odd flyer's here and there, pee'ing me off,

it was just a general insight into how other's achieve their accuracy.... 95's shoot into .5's but i want better..

Might it be that this is the best your rifle will do? after all, this is not inaccurate shooting..(.2's) particularly for a Hunting (i.e. non-varmint or tactical) rifle

best wishes,

Finman

I,m afraid you will get flyers with some batches of Hornady heads,most are ok but check your batch for consistency ie base to ogive and if you get differences then batch them up like for like.A few guys down this way have found a mixed bag of heads in a box/batch but once sorted this has reduced flyers a lot.I recently had a bad batch of 105 Amax,three different heads in a batch of 500 I sorted them out and have been delighted with the performance from all three variants.I also have another 500 lot and all are perfect thank goodness.

Generally speaking if I really want to see what a rifle will do[talking 6mm for this post]then a worked up load with a berger,scenar or a custom head of some description will probably prove very satisfying.Good old Sierra MK,s also seem to be very consistent too.

I think thats part answer to your post and for the rest well I,m fussy on case prep,neck tension,neck turn and tight necks preferably,make sure I,m either right in or out of lands no more just touching or just off,I dont think this is a good place to be.Will probably make up 5 different loads the last being towards the hot end and somewhere in there it will get really good once sometimes twice and go from there but check this all over again about 3 times before the load is cast in stone.I must say I have rarely ever needed to do more than this other than to test again at 200 and set zero.Yes I do think it is all worth the bother and is part of "my shooting".

308,s seem not to need quite this fuss[although I do it anyway} especially TRG,s but thats 308,s and another story.Regards Onehole.

thanks oneholes for the indepth reply to your reloading technique's..

My mate has a trg22 and it seems to shoot every powder bullet combo he loads it with... !!!

i don't do neck turning as i don't think its worth the extra effort ut maybe thats where my thinking is sightly skewed... LOL

• 1 month later...

am a beginner at this, only reloading this year. I am using all RCBS kit, which i was given by a friend who gave up and am using 100gn soft points. I am using 35gn H380 powder (as advised by my mentor in my local shop) and getting very satisfying groups, at least as good as shop bought stuff, probably 20p sized and smaller groups at 100mtr, which is quite adequate for my needs, simply roe and foxes and very occasional reds. We have tested them out to 200mtr, the longest range we currently have. The groups open up to perhaps 50 p sized, perhaps even a little larger, a couple of inches maximum at this range and again i am satisfied with this. I believe that for my needs this is quite adequate, all my shots are taken from a bipod, both on the range and in the field.

I have two questions. In reality, for a shooter like me, how much difference will different brands / makes of the same design and weight of bullet head make to the POI. I am told by the shop it will be minimal/ not noticable and although obviously i will make up a batch and test them i just wondered what your experiences are. I ask because my favourite heads are not always available and the shop seems to drift between two brands.

Secondly I use a RCBS powder dispenser and electronic scales. Most powder loads are basically the same weight, with only tiny variations in each one. As an example 35.2 gn - 35.6 gn over a batch of 10. Again from my experience this seems to make no difference to a shot like me, but for very experienced shots would this make any significant difference? To date and my limited experience (really quite experienced at shooting 243 just not reloading it) the differences are not really measurable or noticeable.

Archived