Muzzle brakes

There are a myriad of muzzle brake designs. Slots, holes, slits. Fat ones, slim ones, long and short..

Whenever i've been on the firing point and a neighbouring shooter has a brake attached, the side / back blast is disconcerting to say the least making ones own 2 + 10 less than a joyfull experience.

Do any of you guys know which design gives the least disturbance to the guy laying next to you.

Has such a study ever been done ?

I've read an article from Chuck Hawks on the subject but offers no help with my question. http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

Has anyone experienced different brakes and has an answer ?

Used and fitted most of them Grant. Basically if a brake has 90 degree ports to the muzzle...its gonna be loud. Designs such as the Benny Cooley, the AI , RPA , Holland etc all follow this design of having one, two, or three ports either side of the boreline. This is the most efficient brake type, its also the noisiest.

I tend to fit the Vais type in most cases these days. They have a number of benefits over other designs,..they dont require indexing, whilst not a problem when fitting, it can go "out of time" as the threads become worn/bruised over time, especially when taken on and off regularly. The brake vents Radially, meaning the gas ejection is very even. You dont get as much dust signature, and the brake is virtually no noisier than an unbraked gun.They are also very efficient.They can be turned down to match the barrel,s OD and look very good and unobtrusive.

I think I'd come at this a slightly different way. Here's my tuppence:

The notion of a 'quiet' brake is an oxymoron. The only muzzle brake that can offer low disturbance to the left and right of the shooter is a suppressor.

Any brake that is 'quiet' can't be reducing much recoil - because it's all about redirecting gas flow to the rear.

That might be fine, ie deliberately accepting reduced recoil reduction in order to get less concussion behind (& beside) the rifle.

But a 'quiet' brake = a less effective brake.

To my brainwashed mind, if a brake doesn't look something like what you'd see on an artillery piece, it won't work well (ie reduce recoil). I forget the numbers, but the trade-off between recoil reduction and crew damage puts the maximum recoil reduction at less than something like 40%. The more worried you are about crew damage, the less effective you will design your muzzle brake - say to only a 15% recoil reduction.

Which brings me back to: The only muzzle brake that can offer low disturbance to the left and right of the shooter (and reduce recoil significantly) is a suppressor.

Thanks for the info Dave.. Third eye tactical do a Vais type brake for £69.. I may just invest in one..

Mate why are you messing about with a muzzle break. By all means try mine next time we are at Bisley but you know you will get nothing but hassle for it. As has been said the real answer is a Mod...

Ive shot and have numerous brakes;

Vias, Third Eye Tactical, JSA, AI, Blaser.

The most efficient - at recoil reduction is the Blaser.

Most guys at the FCSA UK have brakes on their rifles - those at neighboring FP's just live with it.

Its different at Diggle, brakes are classed as anti-social - which to a degree they are.

You can disperse the blast by placing a pelicase or ammo box quite easily, but they do tend to fall over with 338's and larger.

When at the range, I tend to use moderators rather than a brake, if I am stalking, I will use a brake over a moderator unless I am after hinds where repeated shots are likely.

You can recess the crown, which has a quieting effect, but nowhere near as much as a mod.

Personally, I would opt for the mod.

I have just bought a Third Eye Tactical Spartan mod for my 308, I am impressed, with size (its small), weight its just over 500gms) quality, its up there with the best, and price.

Worthy of consideration.

The brake i have on my .338 is the same as the third eys one, which is a copy of the vais etc. The gun shoots like a .308. Without it, the recoil is unbearable, and i,m not recoil shy.The vais works in just the same way as other brakes, but it has many, many more ports.This is why it appears quieter, because the noise and blast is dispersed in ALL directions, not just sideways. I would estimate the recoil reduction at around 50% A side ported brake should be more like 60% but the noise is far worse.

A moderator will not reduce the recoil as well as even the worst performing brake, but it will be quieter. On a large calibre, after 3 rounds the heat haze will affect the sight picture too.

People who bleat about brakes grip my that which promotes growth and vigour to be honest. FFS its a gun, and they are on a rifle range. things tend to go bang.

What affect the recoil reduction most is a general "fits " all brake. If the bore is bigger than .020" per side, the brake will not be as efficient as it could be.

A moderator will not reduce the recoil as well as even the worst performing brake, but it will be quieter.

I find suppressors dampen recoil just as effectively as muzzle brakes - depend on how good each is of course!

I think we need some data on this - any out there? Only way to know is if someone has published some test results.

Thoroughly agree about people who whinge about brakes being loud! :lol:

I find suppressors dampen recoil just as effectively as muzzle brakes - depend on how good each is of course!

I think we need some data on this - any out there? Only way to know is if someone has published some test results.

Thoroughly agree about people who whinge about brakes being loud! :lol:

Just 02 questions

Does anybody stock a VAIS in the UK ?

If my rifle already have been screw cut and proofed for a silencer, will it need to be proofed if I purchase a brake?

Thanks

Vias style are available from Third Eye Tactical and I think Vias are avaiable from South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies.

No re proofing.

We have stocks of certain Vais brakes, but they are now almost impossible to get directly, because they aren,t on the list of exporters. Midway have SOME of the sizes, but nowhere near all.

There is no need to even bother with Vais anymore, they have ridiculous thread sizes, which match nothing else. For the past couple of years we have had ours from Craig at third eye tactical . His brakes are exactly the same, but made in any thread pattern you wish. I tend to get 5/8" x 18 UNF from him, because it matches the majority of thread requests, also enables a mod to be used too.

Its also my policy to support a british firm as far as is possible. British engineering which is prepared to manufacture gun parts needs to be encouraged .

We have five different cnc/machine shops manufacturing parts now, all in yorkshire. Their prices are good, the quality is excellent, and its putting money back into british engineering, instead of giving it to the yanks, who dont appreciate it, and cant even be bothered to deal with us half the time.

Archived