RL17

Finman

Good morning Gents,

not wanting to highjack the thread on WSM users, but taking the opportunity of mentioning RL17 there, I'd like to start a discussion on this topic about using RL17 in cartridges other than the WSMs. I have had good luck (accuracy and pressure wise) with RL19, 47.8gn of which gives me 2550fps out of my 7x57 with 140gn GMKs and 47gn gives 2500fps with the 150gn GMK. Any effort to go higher, gives either higher pressure or loss of accuracy.

I'd like to experiment with RL17 with 129gn interlocks in my 6.5x55 and 139gn Interlocks in my 7x57, plus see if I can improve on the speed of the 140gn GMKs in the same rifle. Reloading data seems to be scarce, so any suggestions, experiences, quickload data, most welcome,

best wishes,

Finman

Finnman,

Never thought about R17 in my 6.5x55, I've obtained impressive velicities in my 6.5x47 under 139g Scanars, comfortably North of 2800fps.

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly?) that it was a powder developed for the modern 'short' cases, which is why I've not tried it in the Swede, which FYI has always worked very well with N160.

Will now go and look :)

Brgds Terry

cheers Terryh,

VihtN160 is the powder I trust in my 6.5x55 also, get very good results with the 120gn Sierra PH. I have difficulty however to obtain any accuracy worth mentioning when using 129gn Interlocks. I seem to get better luck with RL19 with these bullets, yet, not enough to trust it on game. Hence my quest for a better solution. Similar things could be said for the 7x57 and 139 interlocks. In the 7x57, RL19 seems to work very well.

I did get good groups with AA4350, and, reading some reports that RL17 has similar burn rates with the '4350' group of powders, I thought it may work too. the problem with AA powders was the fouling, something I have not encountered with RL19 or VihtN160, hence the desire to try Alliant's version of the '4350'.

best wishes,

Finman

Finnman,

Please keep me updated, I've about 3kg of N160 on the shelf so it will be a while before I need a new powder for the 6.5x55, it's my stalking rifle and even with range practice or BSAC running dear days only sees about 500 rounds a year,

Terry

• 1 month later...

Finnman,

Please keep me updated, I've about 3kg of N160 on the shelf so it will be a while before I need a new powder for the 6.5x55, it's my stalking rifle and even with range practice or BSAC running dear days only sees about 500 rounds a year,

Terry

Hi just wondering have you had a chance to try reloader 17 with your 6.5 x 55 ?

I have been using H4350 and found a node around 43.5

Will start testing R17 this weekend so I thought you can help me with a head start ....

Thanks

P.S.

I plan to try R17 on

338 Lapua magnum

6.5 x 55

6 x 47 Lapua

anybody care to share any experience ?

Hi just wondering have you had a chance to try reloader 17 in 6.5 x 55 ?

Will start testing R17 this weekend so I thought you can help me with a head start ....

Thanks

P.S.

I also plan to try R17 on

338 Lapua magnum

6.5 x 55

6 x 47 Lapua

Anybody ?

Hi just wondering have you had a chance to try reloader 17 with your 6.5 x 55 ?

Thanks

P.S.

I plan to try R17 on

338 Lapua magnum

6.5 x 55

6 x 47 Lapua

Hi Londonhunter,

sorry, I did not spot this earlier. I did indeed try RL17 with 129gnInterlocks. Thanks to the Quickload print out that I got from Elwood, I used 43.2, 43.4 and I am about to try 43.7gns. I am still working on the accuracy, getting about 3/4inch groups at the moment at best. I think it is an issue of seating depth though.

There is definite change in the way the rifle feels when shooting RL17 compared to N160, but then again I might find that the speeds I am getting are a bit pedestrian. I have not chronographed those loads to know what speeds I'm getting.

hope this helps, I shall let you know if I get anything worth a mention,

best wishes,

Finman

I have 03 friends in Canada and the US all amateur hunter and varminters. They have switched over big time to

Reloader 17 for all their medium or large case and 8208 XBR for all their small cases. I am just following what they have already tried. However their choice of calibers are very different from ours in Europe.

What they are talking about is powder economics i.e. narrowing down the need to buy too many different type of powder or components and they gang together to buy in BULK. I meant bulk.

Only last month they had delivery a 20 kilogram consignment to the club of 8208XBR.

I think with the number of members here and the vast majority are reloaders we can also do something similar rather than paying individual tub prices and shipping charges.

Anyway back to reloading

none of my friends have 6.5 x 55 in north America hence I am asking for a starting point. I think I am going to start at 43.5 building up 0.5 a grain at a time.

I had the issue of seating depth with many projectiles before and since I switched over the Bergers VLD hunt that took one variable away from me. basically I always start 5 thousand off land or jam and vary only my powder charge.

Keep in touch

interesting to see how you get along.

I have 03 friends in Canada and the US all amateur hunter and varminters. They have switched over big time to

Reloader 17 for all their medium or large case and 8208 XBR for all their small cases. I am just following what they have already tried. However their choice of calibers are very different from ours in Europe.

What they are talking about is powder economics i.e. narrowing down the need to buy too many different type of powder or components and they gang together to buy in BULK. I meant bulk.

Only last month they had delivery a 20 kilogram consignment to the club of 8208XBR.

I think with the number of members here and the vast majority are reloaders we can also do something similar rather than paying individual tub prices and shipping charges.

Anyway back to reloading

none of my friends have 6.5 x 55 in north America hence I am asking for a starting point. I think I am going to start at 43.5 building up 0.5 a grain at a time.

I had the issue of seating depth with many projectiles before and since I switched over the Bergers VLD hunt that took one variable away from me. basically I always start 5 thousand off land or jam and vary only my powder charge.

Keep in touch

interesting to see how you get along.

Hi Londonhunter,

had a quick go at the range today and was very pleasantly surprised! a 4 shot group with 43.4gn RL17, Fed210M, Lapua case and 129gn Hornady Interlock printed 3 shots in the same hole and a flier, which probably was my fault. I think I shall stop there. What I noticed, if it is at all possible, is that after 4 shots the barrel was significantly cooler with the RL17 compared with 4 shots with a load of N160. Ok, it was 49gn of N160, but still...

sorry for not putting a picture of the group, I'm in a hurry as I need to pack my bags and be ready for a 5am departure tomorrow. Hope to shot the pictures in a week or so time,

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Londonhunter,

had a quick go at the range today and was very pleasantly surprised! a 4 shot group with 43.4gn RL17, Fed210M, Lapua case and 129gn Hornady Interlock printed 3 shots in the same hole and a flier, which probably was my fault. I think I shall stop there. What I noticed, if it is at all possible, is that after 4 shots the barrel was significantly cooler with the RL17 compared with 4 shots with a load of N160. Ok, it was 49gn of N160, but still...

sorry for not putting a picture of the group, I'm in a hurry as I need to pack my bags and be ready for a 5am departure tomorrow. Hope to shot the pictures in a week or so time,

best wishes,

Finman

Thank you looks like I will starting at or around 43 grains and work my way up

Will report back with results

No worries. Just to keep you on the safe side, the Quickload printout that I have starts listing dangerous loads at around 44.2gn (using the 129gn Hornady Interlock). The 43.4gn load that I tried, allegedly produces 2780fps out of a 22inch barrel, so I am more than happy if my chrono will show 2700 (even though i do shoot a 22 inch barrel).

good luck!

Finman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LH & Finman

I am loaded up to try the RL19 recipe this week, weather allowing, and wondering if the RL17 development has made any further progress.

I'll let you know how the RL19 performs.

Best

P

I must confess I have done an about turn

Manage to get out once during the last week

I did develop loads for the 6.5 x 55 but not with R17 instead I used up an oldish tub of N160

Previously I have been hunting successfully with H4350 running 23.5 inch tube and 2500 fps bascially very mild loads

With N160 I manage to increase my speed to 2750 consistantly and with excellent groups without any presusre signs at all

This i already a 10% for me

All this is throwing 140 VLD HUNT

Will try R17 in the coming weeks but my objective have been achieved

basically reducing my drop to 300 just by changing powder

I did notice n160 leaves a lot of gunk in the barrel

as compared to h4350

Archived