WSM users

sporting rifles

I know theres a few out there,if you havnt already tried some RL17 go get some,I tried a batch of bullets yesterday at the under ground tunnel range,it does exactly what it says on the tin

lots of extra velocity without the pressure,and in my rifle very very accurate over the RL19 I was using

I know theres a few out there,if you havnt already tried some RL17 go get some,I tried a batch of bullets yesterday at the under ground tunnel range,it does exactly what it says on the tin

lots of extra velocity without the pressure,and in my rifle very very accurate over the RL19 I was using

Reloder17 is an excellent powder from what i've read and people i know who use it.I have some to try in my new 260ai, it will give an increase in FPS over a lot of other powders for now extra powder charge weight.

This is only what i was told by several very experienced shooters when i chronod my loads @ an indoor range:

chronographing your load in an indoor environment will give you different velocity compared to outside, due to air pressure etc

Do you shoot inside, i doubt it?

by all means zero inside,

i went to the indoor range @ Ashbourne and zeroed my rifle,i was bang on the money, and chronod it and had difference in velocity as to when i do it outside.

hth Richard

How much of a difference in velocity did you get ?

Did you get a change in the point of impact ?

Kind Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

that was one of the things that puzzled me was i had no difference in any POI

previously with the same batch of home loads i had ES & ED in single figures (cant remember the exact figures), but when i tried it indoors my velocities was all over the place and my ES & ED was terrible, (cant remember the exact figures) my rifle (223) consistency had always been fine before and after this, it was just something i had never done before and couldn't explain.

When i spoke to others about this they all said the same thing " does your rifle shoot, yes i answered, does it shoot at extended ranges consistently, yes i answered, does it match you data and drops, yes i said Well ignore your ES and go shoot your rifle :lol: " so that i did

Probably a bit fast for 180's (which is what I use in mine)

I do, however use RL 25 which gives excellent results and consistancy.

Re the tunnel range, youre not the first to note velocity increase and change in POI when using these facilities - interesting, wonder why this occurs?

Probably a bit fast for 180's (which is what I use in mine)

I do, however use RL 25 which gives excellent results and consistancy.

Re the tunnel range, youre not the first to note velocity increase and change in POI when using these facilities - interesting, wonder why this occurs?

I didnt get any difference in velocity uisng my std 243 AI load in the tunnel ??? nor my std 7mm wsm load

Sorry,

I thought in an earlier post ( #5 )you mentioned 200 fps increase in velocity.

I AM using r17 in my ackley and i have had an increase of nearly 300 fps i need to try it in my 284's as off yet . will report back

Sorry,

I thought in an earlier post ( #5 )you mentioned 200 fps increase in velocity.

Andy

just checked my data form my old load of 63.5 of RL19 which gave 2972 fps(in or out of the tunnel) with 60.5 of RL17 I get now 3148fps,which is 176 fps extra with less powder,I can run it faster but I was getting slightly sticky bolt and the groups opened slightly

That is a decent gain - and no real difference in volume within the case.

I dont think I will try it in mine - the load is 67.6 of RL25 and 3180 fps with the 180's.

I will, be using RL17 in the rifle when I fit it with a new barrel for next years season (in a different chambering)

That is a decent gain - and no real difference in volume within the case.

I dont think I will try it in mine - the load is 67.6 of RL25 and 2180 fps with the 180's.

I will, be using RL17 in the rifle when I fit it with a new barrel for next years season (in a different chambering)

Bit of a typo, Andy means 3180 fps. I'm getting the 180 Bergers to 3120 fps with 67.1 grains of RL25.

I did try RL17 with my 6.5x47 and 130 Bergers but didn't see any velocity gain, or at least not the gain that other people had seen.

Archived