Very good video on annealing

Elwood

yes MAP gas burns hotter than propane, its a mix of 2 gases.

When you anneal you need to dump brass straight into cool water to complete the process unlike in this video

i watched on of ammosmiths videos on youtube and followed what he did and it worked a treat and i didn't have to buy anything equipment to do it, will post a link if its wanted

atb Richard

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/Watch_Video.html

It's also a very simple and effective device for quick and easy annealing.

My only comment would be that I have never annealed a case that quick before, does MAPP gas burn hotter/quicker than propane?

Cheers Ian, thanks for posting, my annealer is nearly finished, not quite in the same league as your KL. Just had to buy a new speed controller, first one burnt out, nothing to do with my wiring, just a faulty unit :lol: Will post some pictures when done.

Snowz, I'm no metallurgist, so please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the dumping into water has no effect on the brass's structural properties, other than to cool it down, different story with other metals? Cue Redfox.

Cheers Steve

Snowz, I'm no metallurgist, so please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the dumping into water has no effect on the brass's structural properties, other than to cool it down, different story with other metals? Cue Redfox.

Cheers Steve

from what i have read and watch everyone else dumps in water it has got something to do with the case neck tension etc i will find out what it is and get back to you on it, but i know that it is needed, you look on 6br site etc and they all do it and say about water level and temp

hth Richard

annealing brass

the annealing of brass is to soften the brass back up after it has been work hardened by firing, the annealing process heats the brass up to soften and the rapidly cooled to to prevent over heating and weakening the brass (if not cooled in water heat travels down the body of the brass where as it only needs to stay around the neck/shoulder area)

something like that anyway :lol:

atb Richard

Dumping brass into water has no effect at all on brass, other than it stops you from picking up hot brass, it's a myth.

People use to stand their brass in water to stop the heat reaching the bottom of the case and then knocked them over to quench the heat and also so that they knew which cases had been annealed.

Steve, I look forward to seeing your creation.

Dumping brass into water has no effect at all on brass, other than it stops you from picking up hot brass, it's a myth.

People use to stand their brass in water to stop the heat reaching the bottom of the case and then knocked them over to quench the heat and also so that they knew which cases had been annealed.

Steve, I look forward to seeing your creation.

each to their own i suppose :lol:

Archived