Some new scope rings

I just got a set of rings in from a friend of mine. Some of you will know him, I know Terry does. His name is Gary Costello and he won the World F-Class championship last year. He's having these built to his specs and I thought I'd post some information and pictures to see if there's any interest in them.

Here's Gary's website should anyone have any interest in contacting him.

http://www.marchscopes.co.uk/benchrest.php

They're made out of of 7075 milspec Aluminum alloy and were supposed to come out of the anodizer as a satin silver, but due to the copper content actually came out a kind of green color. I thought it was a pretty neat color and blends in very well with my rifle.

The screws are Allen head metric sized screws on these rings. I suggested that the Allen screws be changed out to Torx head screws since that is pretty universal everywhere. I had to go buy a 3mm and 5mm bits for my Borka Tool torque wrench before I could assemble everything.

The top has March Scopes engraved into them but will probably be left blank in the next run of rings. The set you see here are medium and he has them in 30mm and 34mm sizes.

As you can see in the pictures the inside edges of the rings are chamfered as are the seams where the two ring halves come together. this will eliminate any scope tube finish being scraped off when tightening the ring halves together.

eb27a202.jpg

There are two locator pins to keep the base clamp properly lined up while the rings are being tightened down. The inside edge of the clamping screw is also beveled to allow the clamp to center itself when tightening.

e88d6c9d.jpg

Each pair of rings has each half of each ring numbered with a 1 and a 2, so it's easy for the customer to be able to keep the rings indexed to each other when the rings are disassembled. I know there have been several times I've set a ring half down and either forgot to mark it, or didn't remember which way I had it facing when I put everything back together again.

458ea0dd.jpg

be9fb39f.jpg

fcad754b.jpg

99ffbb96.jpg

8a58ead5.jpg

They're a very neat design. Ditto on the hex heads, they should be changed.

Things I (and no doubt a few others) will want to know:

What dimensions do the rings come in (height to scope centre) as many will want minimal clearance with the 50mm Schmidts.

What do they cost as there's no indication on the website?

When/ are they available?

Are they made in Japan like the scopes?

Regards

Gareth

Snowz.

Those Rings are definately Third Eye Tactical. Craig makes them for March Scopes.

Nick.

thought so but didn't like to say :)

i have a Third Eye sound mod and bolt knob on my 223 and having the same plus these rings fitted to my new 260, they're are great pieces of kit and finish off any rifle nicly

Ive fitted several Third Eye Tactical rings to builds ive done, the rings (like Craigs other products) are second to none.

If Gary has had input in the development - the bevelling and guide rods being two excellent ideas, I forsee these being THE rings to have.

A shame I can't run to a March myself for the F Class gun, neither can I run to a Hensohlt prototype :wub:

The Atlas, I can afford :lol:

I hope you don't think I was saying that Gary is making these himself. He told me he's having someone make them for him. I had no idea who was making them for him

I agree, the bevels, guide pins, and indexing numbers are all very good ideas. The finish is very very good all the way around.

Zaitsev, I think they're available now, and run around $200.00 USD or there abouts. I think they're made in the UK, is that where the Third Eye Tactical guys are located?

I'm really liking the NH-1 prototype reticle in that scope.

Hey Ronin, you've got to start somewhere, and the Atlas is a really nice bipod.

Gents,

Just to confirm or answer questions posted:

Currently in stock, or normal lead time if not 3 weeks

£125 pair retail

Only in Meduim height because that's all thats been asked for.(and seems to work with everything that's been tried so far scope wise). If sufficient interest possibly other heights later.

Re. Torx's - has been looked at, hard/expensive to source (think this refers to the taperd head item?), adds to cost.

Re. maker - yes they are made by Craig with Garys tweaks (as far as I can make out). Colour a 'nice' bye product of finish.

6 screw 50 cal design under development - prototype in hand soon.(told it looks sexy!)

Brgds Terry

Gents,

Just to confirm or answer questions posted:

Currently in stock, or normal lead time if not 3 weeks

£125 pair retail

Only in Meduim height because that's all thats been asked for.(and seems to work with everything that's been tried so far scope wise). If sufficient interest possibly other heights later.

Re. Torx's - has been looked at, hard/expensive to source (think this refers to the taperd head item?), adds to cost.

Re. maker - yes they are made by Craig with Garys tweaks (as far as I can make out). Colour a 'nice' bye product of finish.

6 screw 50 cal design under development - prototype in hand soon.(told it looks sexy!)

Brgds Terry

Ok, formal request for a 34mm pair that are as low as Seekins 34mm lows. I reckon they would sell well as they give a nice low mount with the 50mm obj PMIIs.

What ya reckon?

G

For a couple of extra £ for the Torx heads I wouldn't shitnscream, but if you torque the hex heads properly you shouldn't have any issues.

Ronin.

Stop whining and get your mit in your pocket mate, I like to see a lancastrian sweat B)

Ok, formal request for a 34mm pair that are as low as Seekins 34mm lows. I reckon they would sell well as they give a nice low mount with the 50mm obj PMIIs.

What ya reckon?

G

I'm with you. Medium on a 50mm obj scope puts the thing in the air like an M16 carrying handle.

Gents

FYI Seekin's 'low' 34mm rings are 23.37mm CL to rail top, March/3rd Eye 34mm 'Medium' rings are 24.5mm = .050" difference = twice the thickness of your thumb nail = *uck all :D

Got to be pretty HSLD to worry this much :ph34r:

Terry

Haaha, Terry, I laughed out loud seeing your little ninja head on the post.

I think I'll ask Gary to send me a set of medium 30 mm rings and another set of 34's to take some actual pictures for people to look at. As they say a pics worth a...yeah everyone knows the rest, but I think it would help most people to see how an actual scope looks mounted before they send in their money.

I laughed out loud seeing your little ninja head on the post.

That's a ninja is it?! ...and I've spent the last few years failing to understand why people use a 'looking through a letterbox' emoticon! :o:lol:

Terry,

Everyone seems to use different datum points when describing scope ring heights and last time I bought some (other than AI) it took some working out to compare brands.

If these mediums are the same as everyone else's lows; then maybe, umm, they should be called 'lows' :)...and yup, if one brand gave me a 2mm-ish lower head position, that would be a deciding factor in choosing between 2 otherwise extremely similar products....I hate chin weld :rolleyes::)

Matt,

We obvoiusly approach this from different views.

I match the scope to the rifle when looking at ring height, which is why I'm not too bothered re the 1mm difference.

Cheek weld follows by moving the cheek piece up/down/left/right. I bias towards strong side fit as weak side is used less.

Different strokes

Terry

Yup, suppose so, also - last time I bought rings (the badger low 34mms that I'm failing to sell at the moment :rolleyes: ) they were to go on a Sauer 202 (I found warne doing 2-piece weaver bases for Sauers at the time) - as a slave to my own experience that's coloured my judgement - trying to mount a scope to obtain a cheek-weld on a fixed sporting stock!

Your 1mm point fully understood with an adjustable....but, as you point out, you're 1mm higher and more likely to be spotted :lol::ph34r: (that's my new symbol for the day).

Matt,

I like a cheek bone weld on my rifles, and have never had any stock at all that fit me correctly. I have an Eagle Industries Stock Pack on every rifle now, and I add padding underneath that to get to the height that works for me. I don't like chin welds either.

On the rifle that I took to Africa I had the stock pack built up about 3/4 of an inch for me to get to the proper weld that worked for me.

You've just got to be a little more careful so you can maintain the proper look. :ph34r:

Archived