20-250 Update

17 Rem

Well, my plan for a 20-250 built on a Sako A2 action came to fruition, with the work done to a high standard by the forum's Dasherman. A riflesmith who answers the phone and replies to E mails, doesn't charge the earth, does work exactly when he promises he will? What's going on??

Been to the range again today, and have now tried Varget, N135 and N140 with CCI 200, BR4 and CCI mag primers in my 20-250 with SPL waxed 50 grain Bergers.

The 3 groove, 1 in 9 twist, 26 inch Pac-Nor is now giving fine accuracy, with 100 yard 3 shot groups in the .4's the norm. But velocities just over 3700 fps are as high as I can safely go without primer-pocket expansion. I feel I may safely wring out a little more velocity with the N135.

Match primers are giving slightly lower velocities than the CCI 200's I prefer, with the magnum primers giving a very slight velocity gain in some loads, no velocity gain in others.

I feel that the only way I MAY get more velocity is with tougher brass than the Winchester brass I'm currently using. I certainly can't get near the velocities Todd Kindler reports in the Terrific Twenties manual- he's achieved just shy of 4000 fps with the same bullet in Winchester brass!

I certainly can't get near the velocities Todd Kindler reports in the Terrific Twenties manual- he's achieved just shy of 4000 fps with the same bullet in Winchester brass!

be very carefully of chasing the velocities Todd kindler achieves with any of his rifles as he usually uses custom actions{which handle pressure better]and he's known for loading very hot

ATB Paul

17 rem glad to hear a bit about this one as I was wondering how you were going with it. a 50g bullet at 3700 fps sounds ok to me in this article 20-250, this guy was getting around 3800fps. Have you tried anything lighter for the fun? Those 45grain hornady spire points might be worth a try to, midway uk have them. Whats recoil like with it can you still see your hits?

Agreed, Todd used a Stolle actioned rifle. I've got more powders to try, but it'll shoot flat enough for my needs if I don't change a thing.

Craig, I'm seeing maybe 3 hits out of 10 shots, but expect that to change when I start using a moderator. I've only had just over 30 shots with it and haven't used any lighter bullets yet. Anyone got any ideas what velocities the 39 grain Sierra would withstand?

I don't know wether this may help.

I shoot a .22-250 Ackley Improved. I have great success with the slower powders. I'm using N550 and can get 4030fps with a 52 match berger.

Perhaps the powders you are using are a bit fast hence higher pressures showing up earlier.

Good luck with finding a load for this most interesting project.

Cheers

Dave

the 39g blitzking should take a fair old speed, I used them at 3750 fps in my .204 ruger and they were still passing right through foxes even though they are ballistic tips, they didnt even make much mess on rabbits just, I shot one rabbit head on at 200 metres and the bullet exited out the back though its back leg with no mess so I am sure they have another couple of hundred fps before they start blowing up on the surface, tough bullet.

• 8 months later...

Finally got the rifle pillar bedded into a Boyds thumbhole laminate stock (thanks for the pillars, Dasherman) and gave it a final coat of Tru-Oil this morning. Put the 6-24x50 Swarovski back on it and had a dozen shots, finishing off the break-in procedure. The zero hadn't moved at all, which was a big surprise.

Tried N160 and N560, the 560 was well below what I feel should be max at 38 grains and produced a disappointing 3350 fps in PRIVI brass, and 3450 in Win brass. The N160 showed a similar velocity difference between the two brands of brass, with the Win brass producing 3650 fps. Accuracy of all four 3 shot groups was around .6" to .7". For saying that load development is still in its early stages, I'm pleased enough, but I'd just like to up the speed a little now. I'll keep you posted...

Edit- Craig, I reckon I saw at least half the bullets hit the paper today, no doubt the 12lb's the outfit now tips the scales at has helped to reduce felt recoil considerably!

Guest northernchris

Dave

One of the .22-250 Acklys i load for runs 52gr Amax @ 4140 fps over 41.2gr Varget this is a STOUT load but makes a good noise on contact with the target. :P

Mine isn't an AI version, so I don't have the case volume I'd need to get anything approaching that amount of Varget into it. To be honest, the experimenting I did with Varget was a bit scary, pressure signs appeared very quickly indeed. I may try again now I have the tougher PRIVI brass.

Oh, who's Dave?!!

had a lot of problems home loading my 204 ,we used the N135 not bad but no where near good enough ..far better results useing HODGDON H4198 faster burn rate now getting 4 shots into a five pence piece and only useing 22grns of powded plus useing the cci br-4 primers ,them .20 like fast powder ..mybe worth a try ..

N150 is looking on Quickload like the optimum powder on a pressure/velocity aspect for 20BR with the 50gr Berger, I know it sounds maybe old fashioned but have you tried H380 in the 20-250?. This has a similar burn rate to N150, just a tad warmer but not as hot as N140 and cooler than Varget.

What is the 20-250 propelling Berger 50 grainers at or are you using lighter bullets.

A

Hi Great stuff on the new toy mate!

with the bc the 50g bergers have that shoould be fair flat still & certinantly something that isnt mainstream!

Neil/aka dasherman did my 243AI for me that shot 5 shot 1/4 groups whilst fireforming & is now shooting in the high .1's!!

TOP gunsmith & a nice chap who actually does what he says he will! :rolleyes: :-)

my only gripe with it is im not getting the velocity i thought i would & seem to be getting preasure signs on the brass but the primers look good?

weird but hey its still teh dogs bits

Andy

Thanks for your comments and interest, chaps.

I've not tried any lighter bullets than the 50 grain Bergers yet, but I've SPL waxed some 39 grain Sierras to have a go with just out of interest.

The only powder I intended to experiment with in the 20-250 but have yet to try is H4350, which I know is being used by a couple of people in the States with the same calibre. I've not tried H380, I could do without buying even more powder- I'll persist with what I've got for now.

I know what you mean on the powder aspect, it would be good if we could buy maybe a tea cup full size pot to evaluate instead of a 1lb or 1kg can which we may then be stuck with.

A

Hi mate,

Very interesting read!!!

I have got a A.I aw in 308,, But some time in the next year or so, i want to buy a 243 or a 22 250 barrel for it,,,

Bolt face is the same for all three,so it would be an easy job just to change barrels!!!!

If you could post some pic,s of your targets,, And some of your rifle it would be very interesting??

All the best F2n

had a lot of problems home loading my 204 ,we used the N135 not bad but no where near good enough ..far better results useing HODGDON H4198 faster burn rate now getting 4 shots into a five pence piece and only useing 22grns of powded plus useing the cci br-4 primers ,them .20 like fast powder ..mybe worth a try ..

Βigun,

strange... In my .204 the N135/39gn Blitzking combination ROCKS (3890fps average out of a 22inch Sako barrel)! I am getting explosive hits out to 200 yards, it has yet to exit a fox and it is accurate (.3-5shot groups) and wind resistant. And the bolt lifts easy and the primer looks good too....

I would have thought that the other alternative is RL10x, but in the case of the 20-250, I would think that a slower burning powder would be warranted, I remember reading in small caliber news use of RL22 and RL19 as well as H4831SC for .17 and .20 calibers with a large case capacity and if they were to be believed, they were getting 4000+fps...

best wishes,

Finman

Interesting read. I'm not to surprised at the low-ish velocities of the 20-250 as it is pretty over-bore with regards to case capacity. Forty-three fifty may be the way to go. A good friend of mine toyed around with the 17-250 many years ago and found he got no better velocity than the 17 Remington. The only way he sparked up the velocity was to pull the barrel and cut a caliber and a half of free-bore. Then the accuracy went so he abandoned the idea. ~Andrew

PS: In reading through the posts back to September, there is mention about "stronger actions". Don't be fooled. Remember the brass is always the weakest link in the action once you pull the trigger.

Hi guys and girls ,

17 Rem has asked to post some photos of his 20-250 , so without further a due here they are...........06062008.jpg0606200802.jpg09062008.jpg

And very nice looking rifle it is too!!! :lol: :lol:

Shall look forward to hearing about its varminting forays with its owner!!!!!! ;) ;)

All the best.........................

RAY........................... ;) ;)

Thanks for posting the photos, Ray.

The two taken outside were before the stock was finished and minus its trigger.

You are more than welcome mate!!! :):D

All the best...................

RAY...................................... :D :D

Archived