Deben Lithium ion battery packs

Most of my lamping is done solo and on foot and I have been using two types of battery pack dependant on how long I’m intending to be out for, if it’s just for a few hours, I’ve been using a 14ah belt pack, or if it going to be an ‘all nighter’ I use a 28ah battery in a rucksack which has never gone flat on me in an outing.

I was in my local gun shop recently, and saw the range of deben lithium ion battery packs, I picked up the biggest box which contained a 22ah battery and couldn’t believe how light it was, the battery which would fit in a coat pocket weighs 1.25 kilos, compared to the 12 kilo weight of my 28ah pack!! They are expensive compared to sealed lead acid batteries, the 22ah pack retails at nearly £230, but the weight advantage had me sold.

There is also the advantage of a flatter power curve, meaning the light will be bright right to the end, not gradually go dim like when using Lead Acid batteries. The downside to this is that you get no warning when the battery is about to go flat, but I will overcome this by carrying a small 7ah lead acid battery as a back up, then I will have a total of 29ah and it will still be lighter than my 14ah belt pack!!!

Here is the battery between my 2 lead acid battery packs and a Lightforce 170

IMG_5669.jpg

http://www.deben.com/lights_lamping/batteries/lithium_ion_battery_pack.php

You also get a pouch, mains charger, in car charger, and a cigarette lighter socket with the battery.

Ive been lamping a couple of times since having the battery, with no problems at all with the battery, it is nice to come home without aching shoulders for a change!

Cheers,

Jinks

Yes jinks these batteries are fantastic.

I know these are eye wateringly expensive but really makes solo lamping a pleasure rather than a struggle

if carrying a large lead battery,

One thing you forgot to mention is even the 22ah lithium fits in your pocket.

There are drawbacks to these, they have a very definite finite life, unlike lead acid or nicad batteries there are so many cycles then thats it. They also have a faster self discharge rate and go flat just sitting there. You must use their dedicated charger as there is a very real risk of fire with these batteries if abused in any way and they destroy everything round them including your car when they burn. They should not be over discharged as they fail if flattened completely and again may catch fire when you try to charge them up again. Normally a full set of instructions come with them and it is very important you follow them.

They are getting better all the time and give high power for low weight, just treat them with respect and they will do ok, they are also coming cheaper all the time, as they used only to be made in the far east, but the USA now has a new large manufacturing plant just opened so prices will continue to fall.

When you say you are getting another pack, please note as well as the above issues, you cant charge and keep these batteries, once you charge them and put them into service, the clock starts ticking and the number of useful cycles starts to be used up, so I would say you already have the best method, which is to have the smaller lead acid as a backup and use the lipo until it is done then buy another one, probably cheaper by then too.

Redfox

P.S I have just looked at the deben info and these have thermal fuse fitted so if you do any of the above it will cut out and the pack is then scrap, tread lightly lads.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine had put one of these new Lith batt's on charge in his garage overnight. RESULT = garage and kitchen gutted by fire from the battery.

still not heard if it was a dodgey unit or because it was left on charge to long, so a heads up, perhaps think where you put them when charging.

A friend of mine had put one of these new Lith batt's on charge in his garage overnight. RESULT = garage and kitchen gutted by fire from the battery.

still not heard if it was a dodgey unit or because it was left on charge to long, so a heads up, perhaps think where you put them when charging.

Same thing happened to friend of mine Lee, still went out and bought one though, just very careful.

See link below

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6687&st=0&p=62530&hl=+deben%20+lithium%20+fire&fromsearch=1entry62530

Jinks, the lack of weight makes it a lot more enjoyable though, hope your still having fun.

ATB Steve

Same thing happened to friend of mine Lee, still went out and bought one though, just very careful.

See link below

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6687&st=0&p=62530&hl=+deben%20+lithium%20+fire&fromsearch=1entry62530

Jinks, the lack of weight makes it a lot more enjoyable though, hope your still having fun.

ATB Steve

Steve,

I think we are on about the same guy, your from the same area, we finished building his 22.250? not too long ago then it is.

Steve,

I think we are on about the same guy, your from the same area, we finished building his 22.250? not too long ago then it is.

Thats the man, Lee. I hear he got in trouble with his wife over that one. :lol:

Happy Birthday Jinks

Cheers Steve

There are drawbacks to these, they have a very definite finite life, unlike lead acid or nicad batteries there are so many cycles then thats it. They also have a faster self discharge rate and go flat just sitting there. You must use their dedicated charger as there is a very real risk of fire with these batteries if abused in any way and they destroy everything round them including your car when they burn. They should not be over discharged as they fail if flattened completely and again may catch fire when you try to charge them up again. Normally a full set of instructions come with them and it is very important you follow them.

They are getting better all the time and give high power for low weight, just treat them with respect and they will do ok, they are also coming cheaper all the time, as they used only to be made in the far east, but the USA now has a new large manufacturing plant just opened so prices will continue to fall.

When you say you are getting another pack, please note as well as the above issues, you cant charge and keep these batteries, once you charge them and put them into service, the clock starts ticking and the number of useful cycles starts to be used up, so I would say you already have the best method, which is to have the smaller lead acid as a backup and use the lipo until it is done then buy another one, probably cheaper by then too.

Redfox

P.S I have just looked at the deben info and these have thermal fuse fitted so if you do any of the above it will cut out and the pack is then scrap, tread lightly lads.

Thanks Redfox, I was aware of most of the issues you point out, as you say, the batteries come with a full set of instructions which clearly state only to use the charger supplied with the battery and to turn it off when the battery is fully charged, and that there is a fire risk if left on for a long period of time.

There is also an inbuilt circuit protection that stops the battery being fully discharged, which is why the light just goes out as if you have flicked a switch when the battery is low.

As for the thermal fuse, I think it must be a thermal switch instead, because it says in the manual that in the case of a short, the pack can be reset by flicking the light switch on and off rapidly.

Cheers,

Jinks

ATB Steve

Happy Birthday Jinks

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve, It does make lamping a lot easier and it has peformed flawlessly........so far.

Cheers,

Jinks

The short circuit protection and the thermal fuse are for different reasons, the thermal fuse cuts all connection to load or charger if the temperature goes above a certain value, the short circuit protection is just that and electronically cuts the load to prevent the battery exceeding its discharge rate and bursting into flames. Unfortunately once the battery decides to cremate itself it is a chemical fire and doesnt stop for anybody :lol: .

But used sensibly they do well and there are thermal bags for them to protect the surroundings when charging, available from here http://www.overlander.co.uk/ , these people make packs and all sorts and what they dont know isnt worth knowing about batteries generally. I use one of their Lipo chargers and it is the business.

You should never leave a pack on charge overnight, my charger is a lot more sophisticated than the Deben one and turns on and off according to the voltage it measures ( and that is difficult on a Lipo), but they still tell you not to leave it on its own.

Redfox

The short circuit protection and the thermal fuse are for different reasons, the thermal fuse cuts all connection to load or charger if the temperature goes above a certain value, the short circuit protection is just that and electronically cuts the load to prevent the battery exceeding its discharge rate and bursting into flames. Unfortunately once the battery decides to cremate itself it is a chemical fire and doesnt stop for anybody :lol: .

But used sensibly they do well and there are thermal bags for them to protect the surroundings when charging, available from here http://www.overlander.co.uk/ , these people make packs and all sorts and what they dont know isnt worth knowing about batteries generally. I use one of their Lipo chargers and it is the business.

You should never leave a pack on charge overnight, my charger is a lot more sophisticated than the Deben one and turns on and off according to the voltage it measures ( and that is difficult on a Lipo), but they still tell you not to leave it on its own.

Redfox

Hi Redfox..After reading your post I ordered a lipo bag from overlander on Sept 30th it was delived on the 1st

thats fast service. Eric

Yes Eric they arent far from me but their service is great and the postage is usually less than the diesel would be. I have a couple of Nightsearcher lamps, which have been first class but the batteries finally gave up, these guys made me two new packs for just over half the price from the makers and they have greater capacity!

And the bags give peace of mind

Redfox

Yes Eric they arent far from me but their service is great and the postage is usually less than the diesel would be. I have a couple of Nightsearcher lamps, which have been first class but the batteries finally gave up, these guys made me two new packs for just over half the price from the makers and they have greater capacity!

And the bags give peace of mind

Redfox

Hi. Redfox I should have asked yesterday do you store your battery in the lipo all the time or only when you charge it... Eric

Well I have a a large earthenware square cooking dish donated by the wife its about 18ins by 12 and any lipos live in that on a metal bench in the garage, but the incidence of them bursting into flame just sitting there has dropped off a lot as manufacture has improved. I have this and a bag for charging as they can still go up whilst charging, particularly with the cheaper chargers. will try to find a link to a how to article that gives the fullsp on lipos. Lithium ion batteries are coming on which dont have the same issues.

Redfox

Archived