Dont give up - Sako 591 accuracy issue

Ronin

A friend asked me to do an annual check on his rifle including a "deep clean" and accuracy check, he mentioned that he thought the rifle wasnt as accurate as it was and had lost confidence in it.

The rifle is a Sako 591 in 308 and has a 4x32 Swarowski attached.

After removing 12 months of detritis from the action, bolt and bore I borescoped it and found pitting along the entire bore.

I used Wipe out cleaning products to remove carbon and copper fouling leaving the bore squeaky (but pitted) clean and went to the range using supplied ammo (fed Fusion) to do some accuracy checks.

The results were not good - circa 4 inch "grouping" - have to point out here that the rifle was standard and unbedded, it also had a "pressure pad" in the forend....

One of the test groups before any remedial work

beforebedding2.jpg

After examining the barrel bore, I thought that nothing would assist accuracy and that the barrel would need replacing, however after discussion with my friend, we agreed that we should attempt to at least try and reduce the group size before changing the barrel keeping the rifle as close to standard as possible.

To cut a long story short, I mchined two ally pillars, relieved the stock at the forend and devcon bedded the action manufacturing a new recoil lug which was also bedded in devcon - I also recrowned the muzzle as this wasnt too crisp either.

DSCN2266.jpg

DSCN2263.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

I an attempt to retain the original rifles intergrity, I tried to mkae the improvments as "invisible" as possible

DSCN2267.jpg

DSCN2268.jpg

After reassmbly, I returned to the range and with baited breath commenced accuracy testing using bipod and rear bag (bear in mind 4x32 scope)

Supplied factory ammo:

FedFusionafterbeddingSako308.jpg

Using SAMI spec 155 Scenar (my own target load)

155Scenarafterbedding2.jpg

And once scope ajusted, one shot within the 3 inch target - I had to make the dots this big due to low powered scope!!

Oneshotbull1.jpg

The moral or point of the story is this - despite initial impressions that the barrel required replacement, there were other factors that needed discounting first - barrel pad removal and bedding, re crown.

The rifle now shoots very well (with factory ammo) and should satisfy the owners requirements untill the barrel is changed.

Dont immediately go for the "it needs a new barrel" option

Yep, a pitted bore isn't necessarily the death knell for accuracy. A crook muzzle is a different story..

Here's a POS Remington 788 I did up for my younger son's mate. He got it off his uncle for a pittance (excuse the pun) but the price was pretty consistent with its condition. Some hacksmith had had a go at making a base and "fitting" a scope. Nearly threw up when I saw it:

788PreFix.jpg

A borescope showed some rather nasty pitting but it wasn't too bad down the muzzle end. Surface rust on the bluing and the stock was in a total state.

Here's what it looked like after I'd finished cleaning it up, recrowning and fitting some better hardware:

788FinishedLoRes.jpg

Couldn't believe the first group (3 shots) with some rough hunting ammo I'd thrown together:

788FirstGroupLoRes.jpg

Not bad for a 4X scope and crook bore.

Chris-NZ

Crikey Chris,

thats a cracking turn around, I think this rifles bore is a wee bit worse than the 788's.

Your Sako Andy reminds me a Sako .270 a mate has. Looks nice outside but he's ruined the barrel from neglect.

From memory, even after severe cleaning and recrowning, I couldn't get better than 2". Frustrating to see such a nice gun ruined for lack of minimal attention

Chris-NZ

The rifle is kept in a gunsafe in the chaps garage, near the washer and dryer....

He also used to use..... a bottle of gun oil purchased ten yrs ago, so its no wonder although in nice condition externally, the barrel is pitted to xxxx

A short re-education period has been conducted - VP90 purchased etc etc.....

Awsome bedding job Andy:-)

As ive mentioned before my 308 had a realy deep 4mm ish hole in one of the lands about 15mm down the bore wich i had loped of & some other pitting about 4inches down thats easliy visable with a mag light down the end!

the bloody thing outshoots anything ive ever owned including my full custom 243ai wich is a bitt anoying to be fair!

having the really rusty bit at the end removed didnt change the way it shot one bit!

just made feel a bit better as it was fairly large & manky!

cheers Andy

Archived