brass tumbling

Guest Scotland Rifles

Guest Scotland Rifles

As above lads,

just how much do i use was going to try about 2 x the media as brass if you know what i mean.

and can you mix the brass, say .243 and 20 tac in the tumble session

thank you

bob.

As above lads,

just how much do i use was going to try about 2 x the media as brass if you know what i mean.

and can you mix the brass, say .243 and 20 tac in the tumble session

thank you

bob.

Bob

My tumbler is 3/4 full so don't worry just fill er up.

I mix all my brass together so don't worry on this either. I'm also using a ultrasonic these days which is IMHO slightly quicker than tumbling but it don't get the new look if you know what I mean.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

OA

Guest Scotland Rifles
Bob

My tumbler is 3/4 full so don't worry just fill er up.

I mix all my brass together so don't worry on this either. I'm also using a ultrasonic these days which is IMHO slightly quicker than tumbling but it don't get the new look if you know what I mean.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

OA

QA

thank you mate

just what the doctor ordered, just been and topped it up a tad and lumpped some 20tac brass in too.

bob.

roll on tomorrow morning lets see what it brings. :ph34r:

Guest Scotland Rifles

Hi QA.

just to let you know,

I am well pleased with the tumbler mate. thank you for your help.

got the first batch out this morning after about 5 hours and they are fantastic, (not to self, next time leave the fired primer in :ph34r:. )

not the second batch is in all 100 .243 cases, lets see what they come out like,

bob.

I deprime first, the media removes any traces of case lube left on as well. I fill mine just about and do batches of 20-40 for up to 15 hours. I add an occasional spoonfull of polish to the nix, Rooster?? from Sinclair. Does a good job but a tad fiddly getting the media out of the primer hole.

A.

I deprime first, the media removes any traces of case lube left on as well. I fill mine just about and do batches of 20-40 for up to 15 hours. I add an occasional spoonfull of polish to the nix, Rooster?? from Sinclair. Does a good job but a tad fiddly getting the media out of the primer hole.

A.

Fifteen hours! Good grief! Is there any brass left after that? If I tumble cases for a couple of hours I consider it a long time... I've sometimes wondered whether there was any truth in the suggestion by some that case tumbling is a bad idea 'cos it "work hardens" the brass, and although I've never really seen any evidence that this happens I'd be reluctant to continue the process over such very long periods. Any particular reason, A?

My MO is to deprime then tumble (Bob: I often mix calibres, no problem at all) and after resizing etc I will usually wash, or even tumble again, to remove lube. I never process hundreds of cases at a time so I'm not worried by having to remove grains of media from flash holes; and although I'm a bit geeky about case preparation, I don't care about getting my brass to shine with blinding brilliance. Squeaky clean, yes; super shiny, no.

Tony

I do like both guns and ammuniton to be clean. Brass then I dont load that often so a case may be stored for a year loaded hence I want it as clean as possabal to start with. My PPC brass I have had about 6 years, they have done about 8 or 9 cycles each, no losses what so ever.

Thanks

A

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scotland Rifles

thank YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE AND NOTES

I WAS ASKED TONIGHT BY THE WIFE.

DO YOU TUMBLE THEM WHEN THEY ARE ALL MADE UP. (LIVE ROUNDS)

I SAID UNLESS YOU WANT HOLES IN THE ROOM AND THE ROOF, MORE POLICE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE I CAN START STRAIGHT AWAY :wacko:

BOB.

I do like both guns and ammuniton to be clean. Brass then I dont load that often so a case may be stored for a year loaded hence I want it as clean as possabal to start with. My PPC brass I have had about 6 years, they have done about 8 or 9 cycles each, no losses what so ever.

Thanks

A

you can tumble them loaded, i've seen others do it....

i dont decap, as the tumbling minimally cleans the primer pocket, more than anything it just clogs straight up. Just use a primer pocket cleaning tool as per norm after decaping and tumbling.

I have just gone down the ultrasonic cleaning route, not bought one just adapted my tumbler and turned it into one, i used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, left on for an hour and came out gleaming, rinsed out with clean water then dried in a warm oven then tumbled, they look like new brass now and cost was just a bottle of white vinegar.

i leave mine to tumble all day and night, no worries about case hardening from what i've read

atb Richard

Guest Scotland Rifles
you can tumble them loaded, i've seen others do it....

i dont decap, as the tumbling minimally cleans the primer pocket, more than anything it just clogs straight up. Just use a primer pocket cleaning tool as per norm after decaping and tumbling.

I have just gone down the ultrasonic cleaning route, not bought one just adapted my tumbler and turned it into one, i used a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water, left on for an hour and came out gleaming, rinsed out with clean water then dried in a warm oven then tumbled, they look like new brass now and cost was just a bottle of white vinegar.

i leave mine to tumble all day and night, no worries about case hardening from what i've read

atb Richard

INTERESTING rICHARD

I MAY GIVE THAT A GO WITH THE VINIGER.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK THING BUT IM ON A BLACKBERRY LOOKALIKE NOKIA THING.

BOB.

INTERESTING rICHARD

I MAY GIVE THAT A GO WITH THE VINIGER.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK THING BUT IM ON A BLACKBERRY LOOKALIKE NOKIA THING.

BOB.

if you want any more info on it Bob here's where i got the info from ultrasonic cleaning

i made my tumbler into a ultrasonic cleaner quite easily and to no cost,

i used a seal able container/food container, put the brass and vinegar water mix in and seal, placed a small piece of ply on top of my RCBS tumbler and secured it with the thread and wing nut, i then tightly tapped the container to the ply with gaffa tape and turned tumbler on, work perfectly and at no extra cost, i will upload a picture of it tomorrow

Guest Scotland Rifles
if you want any more info on it Bob here's where i got the info from ultrasonic cleaning

i made my tumbler into a ultrasonic cleaner quite easily and to no cost,

i used a seal able container/food container, put the brass and vinegar water mix in and seal, placed a small piece of ply on top of my RCBS tumbler and secured it with the thread and wing nut, i then tightly tapped the container to the ply with gaffa tape and turned tumbler on, work perfectly and at no extra cost, i will upload a picture of it tomorrow

nice idea.

got to be worth a try

bob.

Tumbling live ammunition is very dangerous indeed.

Apart from the fact one could go off in the tumbler, several things can occur.

The powder kernels can be reduced to dust if left long enough.That will make the powder detonate rather than burn, almost certainly blowing up the firearm.

If tumbled for only a short time, the very least it will do is damage the powders coating, again, altering the burn rate.

All tumbler manufacturers specifically warn against tumbling live rounds.

There is no reason whatsoever to have to tumble live rounds. If you have some lube left on the case, then wipe it off with an appropriate solvent....its takes but seconds.

I doooo so like the homemade ultrasonic idea!!. Good to hear there are rednecks on here too!.

I've got two tumblers. One with walnut shell media and it's crap. The other is unknown media. Looks like tiny pinkish bits of very soft stone, and is brilliant. 20mins and the most tarnished of cases gleam like new. Anyone know what the media might be?.

Guest Scotland Rifles
Tumbling live ammunition is very dangerous indeed.

Apart from the fact one could go off in the tumbler, several things can occur.

The powder kernels can be reduced to dust if left long enough.That will make the powder detonate rather than burn, almost certainly blowing up the firearm.

If tumbled for only a short time, the very least it will do is damage the powders coating, again, altering the burn rate.

All tumbler manufacturers specifically warn against tumbling live rounds.

There is no reason whatsoever to have to tumble live rounds. If you have some lube left on the case, then wipe it off with an appropriate solvent....its takes but seconds.

cheers baldie.

i would not tumble live ammo in any case,

its just one of those things people don't ask about, and better its out in the open than hearing of the tales that went wrong over a pint after a day on the range.

bob.

I doooo so like the homemade ultrasonic idea!!. Good to hear there are rednecks on here too!.

I've got two tumblers. One with walnut shell media and it's crap. The other is unknown media. Looks like tiny pinkish bits of very soft stone, and is brilliant. 20mins and the most tarnished of cases gleam like new. Anyone know what the media might be?.

i think youll find that is a pumice stone of some type

have a look here

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/tumb...hetic-media.htm

Archived