Had some work done on the .223

JohnGalway

Pillar & Glass bed, recessed crown, new extractor.

Should be remembered I am definitely not the best shot.

Hornady Vmax 40 grain moly 107 yards.

Fouling shot went low to the right.

Five group shots went into 0.5"

HornadyVmaxEvening1-1.jpg

Ten minute break to cool barrel, low on ammo, three shot group went into 0.4"

HornadyVmaxEvening2-1.jpg

Consistent clay busting session at 353 yards, corrected 11 inches up from my +1" @ 100 yards, corrected 12" to the left for wind, first shot was to check elevation, second and other shots went pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft into clays. Outshot a Sako TRG .308 with S&B PM II, owner wanted my action & barrel in his stock. Gave me three shots with his, three dead clays!

Moderator arrived at Ireland Custom Rifle (absolute spot on job, joy to do business with, highly recommended from me), phone rings come up and have it fitted when you can.

Three days later...

Recessed crown sadly no more...

thread4.jpg

Cleaned with Hoppes Benchrest, Kroil mixed with Shooters choice. Bore soaked in Kroil over night, then cleaned again with Shooters Choice.

Found some Federal Premium 40 grain non moly which I'd forgotten about.

Got the rifle on paper, windage was good, guessed elevation & fired three shots.

federalpremium.jpg

Proven to be able to shoot sub "minute of greycrow".

crowtarget.jpg

Anyone got a cure for this headache?

foxtarget.jpg

Made a little rear bean bag out of an old sock, some polypropelene (spelling) beads and a plastic bag, it helps.

She does look good alright :) Next job on the books for her is to sort out that stock. Best I can manage is a chin weld, and I think I'd improve my groups a lot if I get an adjustable cheek piece made up so the sight picture is more consistent. Whether I'll get a chunk cut out and put on pillars or add a piece from another stock or blank I don't know yet, have to ring a guy and ask about that. A Tubb 4 way adjustable butt plate would be nice too. Not shooting too bad for a gun in a $90 Boyds stock :)

Nice shooting and about time you got a mod fitted , get out and shoot some

foxs now and let us know what a great improvement the mod makes.

I wanted a mod since day one, so only took 4 and a bit year ;) Great comfort in them, I've shot other lads modded rifles but this one is all mine :rolleyes:

Hope to get out Friday night, all going well. Though the moon will be against us, so hoping for cloud. Am away from home at the moment.

How`s the hearing now then John?..what do you mean no need to shout :D

Looks good all moddded up (at last) and seems to be shooting really well,i,m guessing the balance of her is ok too.

Looking forward to hearing of some succesful sorties now she`s back up and running.

It's weird, I fire a shot and there's practically no sound! No more ringing ears or thunderous booms fading into the distance.

She's heavier, obviously, and tends to want to fall backwards when slung on my shoulder, it's fine as long as I keep it in mind.

Got my first fox with it last night, at the huge distance of 65 yards lol. Saw another but whatever he was at wouldn't stop and was too far out.

Nice rifle john and christened already...i prefer the thumbholes would like one for my tikkas..but no joy so far.... :lol:

Mick

Why's that Micky? You haven't seen anything you like or they too much coin? You could always go to a custom stock maker and have a chat :ph34r:

the work has obviously transformed the consistency - you must be chuffed - nothing better than walking up to a target to see that grouping...

I'm absolutely delighted with how the rifle is shooting now. There is great reassurance for me in the work that's been done by a top class guy. When I get the stock to my liking and I do more work on myself particularly there'll be a lot of raggy hole groups :lol:

Archived