European Brown Hare

Can anybody advise me where to find an up to date list of the seasons dates for Brown Hares in Europe.

l

FACE shows dates from the early/mid 1990s. I am aware that seasons will change by country and area, Sweden for instance had 3 season dates depending on the location.

Thanks for your help.

A

I did,nt think hares in britain had a season ? only a season in which they could be sold as food [game ]

Coursing only takes place in the winter months from november through to february, so the hares are at their fittest and carry no young. Sorry.....this was the case when it was legal. :D

Hares are only shot in the game season for other game, because they can then be sold i think. Nothing legally to stop year round culling, apart from sportsmanship.

Never thought that europe would be different.

Are you planning a trip A ?

My wife is doing her uni dissertation on the Brown hare, why it has dissapeared, why it seems to prefer some fields to others, preditation, what we could do to help numbers etc etc. She is using my shoot as a study area, we have not shot hares here for maybe 20 years but have lost some to poachers with dogs from time to time. Our neighboroughs had a poaching visit this spring and our numbers have also reduced probably as a result.

She is currently looking at the Hare shooting (and hunting) seasons in Europe, over there they do by and large have set seasons when Hare's can be shot etc. I am aware of the UK position, that is well documented on the BASC site. She expected to find the info on the FACE website but while there is info there on some countries notably Poland and Sweden it dates from the early 1990s so may not be current. All info sources have to be indexed and documented.

So no I am no planning to shoot any, quite the contrary as we are trying to conserve them here but dog men, the occasional charlie, Buzzards and now Red Kites are not helping any.

A

According to the BASC game seasons booklet there is no closed season, however it does say that if the land is classed as moorland or enclosed land and you have your permission through the the lamdowner of occupier then a closed season and other restrictions mat apply, contact BASC for further information

Ian.

According to the BASC game seasons booklet there is no closed season, however it does say that if the land is classed as moorland or enclosed land and you have your permission through the the lamdowner of occupier then a closed season and other restrictions mat apply, contact BASC for further information

Ian.

I am aware of the Uk rules and regs but what she is looking for is up to date verifiable season info for France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, etc.

Thanks

A

I may be able to help with a comparabule study, a farm area which I beat for has a conservation scheme with I think sheff uni.

I can try to put you in touch if it would help, so send a pm.

Andy

Ps they literally have hundreds of hares which I have seen when foxing.

I will advise my good lady of your kind offer, if she needs this info I will contact you but if it is a published work she may have access to it anyway through the Uni search engine.

Thanks again

A

I often hear that the brown hare is in decline nationally, but certainly not the case in my area,i would go as far as to say there has never been so many, not in the last 35 years.In the spring i was often counting well into double figures in one field.

Whilst checking earths for cubs i found the remains of at least 4 adult hares at one earth,must say somthing about the local hare population....

Nell

Certainly some members here have to control numbers in market garden crops where serious damage is soon done if any numbers are present.

Generally it is believed that some sprays used in cerials in the past have been harmfull, with 20m spray widths Hares cannot get away and when they do run into sprayed areas.

Combine that with loss of grassland habitat to cerial and veg growing, the increase in avain predators takings leverets and it is easy to see how a decline is happening. These (8m?) grassland strips around cerial fields will certainly help both hares and grey partridges.

A

Archived