Cornish Long Range zeroing facility

Tiff

Last year in a previous post I mentioned a 600+ yard ‘range’ in Cornwall that I was setting up. Well things have taken their time, but are now making progress.

By October this year there will be 20-25 target pits with reactive paper & steel targets of various sizes from 2” disks up to roe deer. The zeroing targets are located over a reasonably wide arc of fire at various distances from 150 to 700 yards. There is also the possibility to shoot from 600 to 1,100 yards if required.

There is good quality bunkhouse style accommodation on site (50m from the all weather firing point) and this is available with an evening meal and breakfast for around £40pp.

It has been decided that for now at least, we shall keep it as an informal ‘farmland zeroing facility’ with permission being given on a daily basis for those with field rifles & insurance. Terming it as a ‘range’ (thus allowing pure target shooters) is not feasible with the cost of required bylaws, land use changes etc. etc.

The cost of a day’s shooting is still being finalised, but shall be in the region of £40pp for a group of 3-6 people & £50pp for 2 shooters or £100 for a single shooter. Firing times are very open starting at 10am till dusk.

The location is still being kept quiet, but is between Bodmin and Launceston. More details will follow nearer the opening time.

It would be good to hear some feedback of if this may interest you.

Many thanks

Tiff

Last year in a previous post I mentioned a 600+ yard ‘range’ in Cornwall that I was setting up. Well things have taken their time, but are now making progress............[snip]...... between Bodmin and Launceston. More details will follow nearer the opening time.

It would be good to hear some feedback of if this may interest you.

Many thanks

Tiff

Very interesting. The location would be very convenient for me, and the facility for zero-checking at extended ranges is just what I could do with. Finding a small group of likeminded shooters might be tricky, co-ordinating times and so on - the solo-shooter charge is not feasible... It's a commendable initiative, and I await further news with interest.

Tiff,

Interesting, the long distance is especially useful :blink:

What is the access to the targets like? drivable or walk?

Possibilitie of steels at the longer ranges to allow a string of shots say from 500ish to 800ish one shot per distance etc.?

Please keep me updated as a local :ph34r:

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sorry I should have added, there is currently one all weather firing point that enables the shooter to zero on any of the 20+ targets from 150 to 700 yards from the single location.

A sentry (at no extra cost) has to be used to shoot from a second firing point further up the hill, to monitor the rarely used public footpath. From this location the same target layout is used, but only those targets between approximately 600 yards and 1,100yards are accessible.

It is also possible to position yourself anywhere between the two firing points, if a more ‘field style’ shooting is required.

The beauty of this setup is there is no need to constantly move (like at Millpool) to change the distance you engage the targets at; simply between the two firing points if you wish to shoot further than 700 yards. Translating into a lot more shooting time, plus no butt’s duty!

The main closer firing point has almost direct vehicle access (100 yards away) with the other a couple of hundred yards walk up the hill behind. When not shooting, the targets you can walk to to inspect group size and change paper targets etc.

Hope that makes sense?

Well done Tiff,looks like you have nearly got it sorted,no mean feat sorting out a facility like that.Not sure some guys will like the charges but if you take into account its an all day shoot then not too bad and as long as we can buddy up then £40 is about where I would be happy.

Some of us have private facilities for long range like this but they are hard to come by and even then "the noise issue" would not be tolerated in many places that I know of for very long on a "regular" basis.Look forward to learning of final rules/regs and costs etc but I would scrap the idea of £100 for a single!?Regards,onehole.

Tiff,

Sounds good and flexible.

Re. charges. To shoot past 600 on targets and steels costs me more than the 30 to 40 quid in fuel.

Doubt anyone will want to shoot alone, wheres the fun in that :blink:

Elwood, fancy a days shooting when its open? Ill let you shoot a real rifle (Sentinel) B):ph34r:

Cheers

Terry

Hi Onehole,

The charges are still being finalised and it may well be a bit cheaper....A reduced winter price taking into account the earlier nights is on the books. Possibly also the option ‘loyalty card’ scheme with reduced fees for local or frequent visitors.

The aim isn’t too make much money from it, more a case of enough to make it worthwhile for the landowner who lives at the site, with regards to the noise generated. Also some money is required to repair and make ever more inventive targets. A running boar style target may be on the books for the future.....

If you look at the alternatives as a single shooter, on electronic targets at Bisley your hard pressed to do a day for under £100. Also Millpool will easily set you back several hundred for the day. WMS sets a day rate of £300 weekdays and £350 weekends, for upto 3 people then £90/£100 respectively per extra shooter. So in this respect we feel around £40 per head for 3 or more shooters represents good value for money.

Also we feel the option should be made to enable a single shooter to use the facility. However with the man hours evolved in setting up the targets, clearing stock, being present for the entire shoot, then replacing/repairing the targets afterwards and the inconvenience in noise & closing off 300+ acres of the farm to the land owner, for much less than £100 it is simply not economical.

I should add the beauty of the site is the next nearest house is a minimum of 2 ¼ miles in any direction over the hills, so complaints from the neighbours shouldn’t be a problem!

I’ll try and post some pictures later in the day.

Thanks Tiff

...If you look at the alternatives as a single shooter, on electronic targets at Bisley your hard pressed to do a day for under £100. Also Millpool will easily set you back several hundred for the day. WMS sets a day rate of £300 weekdays and £350 weekends, for upto 3 people then £90/£100 respectively per extra shooter. So in this respect we feel around £40 per head for 3 or more shooters represents good value for money. ..

Thanks Tiff

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick, Tiff. A facility where i could check zero etc at known long distances (>300 yards) easily is what I could do with; running boar targets, steels etc are not of much interest. Would the range cater for my specific needs? When I visit existing ranges currently, with one of two clubs I know, I pay between £3 and £12 a go, on top of my modest annual sub, so that's the kind of fee I'm used to. I'd be prepared to pay more for a long range facility, so £40 for a small group sounds potentially OK. But I'd want to use my own targets...

Tiff,

As you can see this has the potential to be a very useful facility.

You have my contacts, let me know when the range will be up and running, I can probably put together the first detail (eclectic group of Walters and Mall Ninjas :lol: )

Terry

sounds a great place to a have a plink & meet new faces & for £40 notes ill be up for it for sure!

jsut tell me when its ready to rock:-)

i have mates who will want to play too!

cheers Andy

• 2 months later...

Update:

The 700+ yard steel layout is still being finalised, but the separate 100 yard field zeroing complex is now in place.

The British Deer Society used this 100 yard setup last weekend as part of their Padstow DSC level 1 Course.

range2005.jpg

As for prices we have finalised on £40 per shooter for 2-6 shooters and discounts for large groups.

The long range layout should be open by mid October/early November and I will update then with full pictures/details etc.

Looks superb. Massive backstop.

Danger area?

To nit pick, it looks like there's a slight downhill lilt to the firing point. That'd, literally, be a pain in the neck.

It is slightly downhill, but not as much as the pictures portray. It could have been further along the valley and flat, but the slight downwards angle helps optimise on the surrounding natural backstop.

As for a danger area, it is NOT a range, so there is not one in place. It's being set-up as a farm zeroing facility for people with field rifles and not pure target shooters. The BDS were happy with this and the 100 yard facility met all the Home Office guidance they have to work to, to enable the DSC1 to be held at the site.

It would be nice to have it as an official 'range' for pure target shooters as well, however at £200,000+ to meet the required paperwork & have the various bylaws in place it is not financially viable for the landowner.

I'll add some more details/pictures relatively soon of the new steel targets we've been making.

Cheers Tiff

Looking good Tiff ,glad its all comming together finally ,

will get down that way one day and drop in and say hi , hope you have that 30-338 handy ,would love to have a shot with it.

good luck Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Archived