The new foxpro arrived on tuesday and I was hoping you lot could give me a heads up on what calls are worth having/keeping?

already had some sucess with it but with 200 calls on it (the blurb said it had 50!) I don`t want to delete aggressive racoon or deuling groundhogs then find out I`ve got rid of the greatest fox call in the history of man B):blink:

any other tips would also be appreciated, ATB Matt

I have the fx3, and have kept all the calls on there, you will be surprised at what works, and its always best to have something different on some nights. I would give it some rime before you delete any.

I have had one for maybe 5 or 6 years and have had nothing with it at all, yes I have shot foxes when I have been using it but nothing that came in as a result of it. A hand squeek is better. Foxes hear foxpro but dont come in to anything squeeling rabbit like. I did not though give it very long to proove itself so would also be interested in what works and how you use it exactly. I tried how the US guys use it, sit and wait in the evenings with it playing 30-50 yards to one side, never saw a sosage. Yet the US boys have Coyotes running everywhere so it does work!.

A

dude!, I'd love to get one of these, which model is it and where you get it

Lee

its the firestorm (fx5) got it from bushwear cost £500 + post. Be advised tho you will need 8 topend rechargable AA batteries and charger, oh and a USB cable if you want to download new call onto it. Its a good bit of kit but at 500 quid you don`t expect to be buying extras

I have had one for maybe 5 or 6 years and have had nothing with it at all, yes I have shot foxes when I have been using it but nothing that came in as a result of it. A hand squeek is better. Foxes hear foxpro but dont come in to anything squeeling rabbit like. I did not though give it very long to proove itself so would also be interested in what works and how you use it exactly. I tried how the US guys use it, sit and wait in the evenings with it playing 30-50 yards to one side, never saw a sosage. Yet the US boys have Coyotes running everywhere so it does work!.

A

first time I used it was on a litter of big cubs on the estate I work on. I laid the foxpro about 100 yards out from the hedge the cubs were in with a dead hare next to it. After 1 hr of messing about with squeals the light started to go and I tried a juvinile red fox cal,l within miniutes a cub appered 120 yard up the hedge and was duly dispatched, this may well have been coincidence but what happened next amazed me. I played the cub distress call and the vixen cleared the stone wall ran flat out to the caller and circled it barking and snapping at the air. Number 2 was soon in the bag another big cub joined her shortly after.

After this I went home had a quick brew and went out with the light, taking the quad around some freshly cut silage fields resulted in a final tally of 9 foxes all in all not a bad night :):D

kip270 very true but I`m geussing the canada geese, wood duck, moose, turkey and wild hogs may be surplus to requirements.

I would like to get some more squeeks, red fox calls and some decent crows and magpies on it if you know were i can find some decent mp3`s?

Now I had not thought about fox cub in distress, and it is on my caller. I was watching 2 lots of cubs at one point this summer and none of the adults showed while I was around. My high seat might not be high enough though but I did have cubs within 30 yards of it at one point.

A

The new foxpro arrived on tuesday and I was hoping you lot could give me a heads up on what calls are worth having/keeping?

already had some sucess with it but with 200 calls on it (the blurb said it had 50!) I don`t want to delete aggressive racoon or deuling groundhogs then find out I`ve got rid of the greatest fox call in the history of man :D:D

any other tips would also be appreciated, ATB Matt

Great investment Matt,

I've shot a lot of foxes using mine, completely the opposite to A, dont get me wrong they wont always work, you need to mix it up a bit, using hand calls as well, sometimes no amount of calling will work, silence is golden.

Two weeks ago I took my 8 year old son out with on a late evening sit out, and after watching/listening to me using the FX5 in the past, he had his first go. And it couldn't of worked out better, regarding trying to encourage a impatient/ants in his pants boy, a vixen came running directly below in a little gully and when straight up to the caller, then sprinted of across an open field, a little bark....................

Once when using NV, the shoot captain and me had one come right into the caller and cocked his leg over the caller, thankfully we were using his that night :)

With the FX5 controller it is simple to alternate to another one of your preset sounds at the sound level you choose. Baby rabbit distress, woodpecker, partridge distress & snowshoe hi pitch have all worked well for me.

Sound level is an area where I think some people make mistakes, always start and keep it low to start with, obviously increase slightly in wind, as your normally calling into the wind.

With the amount of sounds on your caller, Gary has probably already set you up with all the best UK applicable sounds. So I would suggest just keep what you have, enjoy and maybe change in the future if you hear something you fancy on Foxpro's site.

PS Just seen you bought it elsewhere, best to read things fully first time. DOH

post-2361-1279361960_thumb.jpg

The apprentice becomes the master....

ATB Steve

post-2361-1279362107_thumb.jpg

Hi All .I have used the FoxPro Scorpion caller now for about 18 months and can not fault it . The calls I use in the main are the Pheasant Distress Jack rabbit Distress. Chicken Distress and the Adult Rat. I find if the Jack rabbit fails to bring them in then I use the Chicken which usualy works. I only use the Pheasant at the start of the season ie when there are young poults about. A friend of mine swears by the mouse or vole squeak on his one . One trick I use is not to use the call if a fox is in the same field as me . Also I hang the call about two feet high as this throws the sound better I have had a fox sit looking at the call at about 30yds out on more than one occasion. As was said before if they are not around then no amount of calling will work. Hope you fined this usefull . Eric

Hi All .I have used the FoxPro Scorpion caller now for about 18 months and can not fault it . The calls I use in the main are the Pheasant Distress Jack rabbit Distress. Chicken Distress and the Adult Rat. I find if the Jack rabbit fails to bring them in then I use the Chicken which usualy works. I only use the Pheasant at the start of the season ie when there are young poults about. A friend of mine swears by the mouse or vole squeak on his one . One trick I use is not to use the call if a fox is in the same field as me . Also I hang the call about two feet high as this throws the sound better I have had a fox sit looking at the call at about 30yds out on more than one occasion. As was said before if they are not around then no amount of calling will work. Hope you fined this usefull . Eric

I also have recently bought the foxpro scorpion and have to say its good.i also elevate it or stake it to the ground with bait....ive had quite a few now come out to it..also have the old callmaster which i keep in a pocket just incase..i need get up and walk..

I put the call a good 100 yds away then sit nd wait.

Mick

I also have recently bought the foxpro scorpion and have to say its good.i also elevate it or stake it to the ground with bait....ive had quite a few now come out to it..also have the old callmaster which i keep in a pocket just incase..i need get up and walk..

I put the call a good 100 yds away then sit nd wait.

Mick

Hi Mick glad to see your having some success with your caller. Eric.

Just acquired the GX7.

Out on Thursday night with it. Set it up at 100 paces from the truck. Thought I'd set it away while I was there, in case I got back to the truck and it was out of range. The call was Snowshoe HP.

Walked back to the truck and picked the 243 up and placed it on the wing mirror. Already had the mag in with three rounds. Looked across toward the caller and 100 yards further on was a big dog fox, just sitting on the set-aside and looking down toward the Foxpro. As I chambered a round, he heard it and offski. Devastated!

Determined that this would not happen again, I arrived at the same area last night, with the mag in, round chambered and bolt up. Set up the caller in the same place and turned it on via the remote when I got back to the truck.

Twenty minutes later, a fox darted across the set-aside and into the barley field. B******s! Ten minutes later, it was out of the barley and staring in the direction of the caller and some 150 yards or so from me. Bolt down quietly, and goodnight Reynard. The 65 grain Vmax simply turned it into a water bag. Turned out to be a vixen. Not a challenging shot, but an important one as we've only had the poults in for a week.

Now, I started off last night with vole squeak, then mouse squeak, followed by rabbit in distress. At this point, I thought I might as well try the Snowshoe HP again. The fox appeared within minutes.

The GX7 is lots of money, but a great piece of kit which has been well thought out. As far as I'm concerned, it's paid for itself already.

George

Anybody who cannot put any more foxes in the bag with the aid of a foxpro caller either as said earlier has no foxes on there ground or needs to go with somebody who shoots foxes as appossed to somebody who goes fox shooting

same trick worked again last night, tried the snowshoe HP which brought two cubs right out into the open, shot them them put the juvinile red fox dist on and the vixen put in and apperance almost instantly, starting to like this technology lark :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived