reproofing after being threaded

I recently bought a rifle (2nd hand) from a dealer that has at some time in the past been threaded for a moderator I did not get a proof certificate with the gun for the threading should the rifle been re proofed after the threading was done?

I recently bought a rifle (2nd hand) from a dealer that has at some time in the past been threaded for a moderator I did not get a proof certificate with the gun for the threading should the rifle been re proofed after the threading was done?

If you have a look at the end of the barrel close to the shoulder of the screw cutting. If it's been proofed, it will have the proof mark stamped onto the barrel. You will not get a proof certificate with the gun anyway.

If there is no proof mark the dealer should not have sold the gun until it had been proofed.

We get barrels back from proof regularly that they have forgotted to stamp at the muzzle. Nowhere in the proof acts does it mention the words "screwcutting, or moderator, or muzzle brake " they are therefore not covered by law. The act states the barrel shall not be "substantially" weakened if so, it then requires reproof. Putting a large diameter thread on a barrel does not substantially weaken it, and the proof house argument would not stand up against an expert witness in a court of law ie an engineer, hence the fact they haven,t pursued it.

There are probarbly only two companies offering insurance for gunsmiths in the UK. One of them changed their policy a few years back and would only offer cover on mods, threads etc if they were reproofed. They had been "advised" so by the proof house. This followed a lapse in buisness after the pistol ban. Non of it is law.

Guess what happened to the insurance company ? They lost a lot of business. We changed our cover immediatly, along with a lot more.

However, the sad fact is there are also a lot of people modifying guns etc with no insurance at all.

The threading argument is an old one. The proof house lost two cases when they tried to pursue it.

Baldie and DJM are right.

when we send rifles in for proof here in Germany there is no proof mark made near the muzzle if the barrel is threaded.

I have noticed proof marks near muzzle threads on rifles from the UK.

some added info:

Proof certificates are only issued for non CIP calibers here, i.e. wildcats.

Standard caliber rifles are not issued with any paperwork, the proof marks on the barrel-action etc is considered proof enough.

The proof house here ( Cologne at least) bought a new fangled lazer engraving machine to mark proof marks with, the problem is that the proof marks are at no depth and if you

re beadblast a stainless rifle to tidy up the finish, then the proof marks disapear, also if you coat the rifle you cover the lazer marking up. I always insist that our proof marks are stamped, that way they are there permamently.

The problem comes when you coat a factory rifle for a customer and the thing has laser engraved markings, In this case I issue the customer with a certificate confirming that the rifle is proofed but that they marks are covered by the coating. If any one realy wants to go indepth and check then they can consult the proof house.

Pete

I agree with all the above...BUT it is an unfortunate fact that most people, and dealers don't know/agree with the above, hence rifles without proofed screwcutting can be more troublesome to sell.

I have to say that when I first saw the thickness of the barrel walls on my combi gun (picture shotgun thickness!) I was surprised how little metal is needed to retain the pressure. I'll never give a screwcut a second thought ever again!

Archived