iphone apps (isnipe)

Was up at trigger2 place the other week with a few other guys of here.and glen had isnipe on his iphone,glen shown us how it worked and we were impressed at its very easy way of use much easier than FTE...and Exbal..which i usually use

Yesterday i downloaded it onto my iphone and took it out last night for some testing and i must say im very impressed...all tgts out to 300 were hit and tgts were not the usual 100 ,150 ect they were random tgts at various unknown distances.and only 2 inches in size.

Anyone who has iphone and into there gadgets get this isnipe.

Cheers to glen for showing us.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
yeah all going well untill trying to selsct 1/6th MOA and it doesnt give that option!!!!

bugger

sauer / Paul

Paul.. what scope would you be using..? ziess by any chance..put in .5 cm @ 100m...ie clicks.. and it will work..let me know how you get on

Mick

ive got a swarovski 6x24x50 pvs micky

its 1/6th MOA on the vertical and 1/4MOA on the horizintal.

ill have to see how i get on might be a wee while afore i get going with longer stuff but im keen to try

sauer / paul

Downloaded this app today on my ipod touch and the data matches that of my exball program,only cost just over four quid so quite a usefull app

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just put this on my iPhone 4 and it worked superb, apart from the save window, which was so high up on the screen that you couldn't see what you'd entered.

Contacted them (Mat Pridham) and was told that they were aware of this and had applied to Apple to submit the update. Went on it today, it updated, and everything is now hunky dory.

George

Here's a quote from Sierra

The ballistic coefficient of each bullet changes with velocity of the bullet as it flies. The ballistic coefficient of a bullet is not constant with bullet velocity. The reason that the BC changes with velocity is that the standard drag function (the G1 drag function) does not characterize the aerodynamic drag on any sporting bullet throughout the full range of its velocity from the gun muzzle to impact. When a bullet is fired with a supersonic muzzle velocity, as its velocity falls there can be a gradual change in ballistic coefficient until the bullet reaches a velocity near 1600 fps (which is in the upper transonic velocity region). When the bullet velocity falls below 1600 fps, radical changes in ballistic coefficient begin to occur. In the next subsection, we will show some examples of this phenomenon for both rifle and handgun bullets.

When the bullet velocity is greater than 1600 fps, the G1 drag function is a reasonable model from which to compute the aerodynamic drag on a bullet. The gradual changes in BC value with velocity can be handled in trajectory calculations by adjusting the BC values used in those calculations by changing the BC stepwise as the bullet traverses four or five velocity regions. The trajectory will start with the bullet velocity in one of those velocity regions. As the bullet velocity decreases and crosses the boundary between that initial velocity region and the next lower region, the BC is changed to the value corresponding to the next lower region. This process is repeated as the bullet velocity falls through successively lower velocity regions.

When the bullet velocity is less than 1600 fps, the G1 drag function just does not characterize the aerodynamic drag on the bullet. This causes the BC values to vary widely as the bullet velocity falls through the speed of sound (about 1120 fps) and to lower subsonic velocities. The step change method of adjusting BC values is, at best, a crude approximation. This situation is mitigated somewhat by the fact that aerodynamic drag on a bullet diminishes dramatically in the lower transonic and subsonic velocity regions. Consequently, the effect of large ballistic coefficient errors on bullet trajectories is much less than when the bullet velocities are above 1600 fps. For handgun bullet trajectories, the effect is also lessened by the fact that ranges to the targets or the game animals are considerably shorter than for rifles. But at the present time, accurate long-range trajectories simply cannot be calculated for bullets that travel at lower transonic and subsonic velocities. This affects the ballistics of rifle cartridges such as the 30-30 Winchester, 35 Remington, 444 Marlin, 45-70, and the “Whisper” class of cartridges, as well as all handgun cartridges chambered in rifles.

This is an area of continuing research for these authors. Ballistic coefficient data have been gathered for a variety of rifle and handgun bullets at transonic and subsonic velocities. Investigations are under way to find modifications to the G1 drag function at velocities below 1600 fps that will enable ballistic coefficients to remain reasonably constant in this velocity region. We hope to be able to report successfully on this research effort at a later date.

The G1 drag function is the best standard drag model to use. We have tested several drag functions (G1 for sporting bullets; GL for lead bullets; G5 for boat tail bullets; and G6 for flat base, sharp pointed, fully jacketed bullets). For each drag function we have measured BC values referenced to that function and observed how those BC values change with bullet velocity. We have chosen G1 because the changes in BC values with bullet velocity are least, and because there is a vast database in the literature on BC values referenced to the G1 standard. Also, to our knowledge all projectile manufacturers refer their published BC values to the G1 drag function, which facilitates comparisons among bullets of different calibers, weights, shapes and manufacturers.

Any the wiser????

George

does any one know of a similar app for a nokia E72

Dave

you could try a set of BD's cards if there is no app for your phone - they do work :)

With respect to that quote from Sierra on drag functions - it's a bit dated.

The G1 drag function was originally used to describe bullets with flat bases. It doesn't work well with modern boattail bullets at longer distances, which is why Sierra publishes G1 data for their bullets in velocity ranges. That works pretty well - if and only if you actually have a ballistic program which accomodates multiple B.C. ranges. Many don't.

The G7 drag function better describes the way boattail bullets behave. Many manufacturers publish only G1 B.C. data for their bullets. However, Brian Litz, who among other things if the Chief Ballistician for Berger Bullets, has done extensive testing of modern boattail bullets from many manufacturers to establish G7 ballistic coefficients for them.

That data can be found in the book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. I highly recommend the book as a general ballistics reference for long range shooters.

There are also programs which include Brian's G7 B.C.s in their bullet libraries. Among them are JBM Ballistics, which can be found on the web, and Ballistics FTE for Iphones and Ipod Touches.

And there's an earlier thread here on G7 B.C.'s:

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9715&pid=84615&st=0entry84615

Archived