hi

i'm thinking of buying a wind meter but dont really know which one

i'd like to keep the cost near 100 quid.needs to be robust.looked at the Skywatch Xplorer 4, Xplorer 4>

does anyone have a helpfull opinion

regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

Depends on what you want from it, do you want an all weather station or just a wind/temp meter???

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skymate-SM-18-ulti...0285&sr=8-2

And for my needs it is fine, but there others that give you altitude and more, but for just knowing the wind speed, it hasn't dissapointed me.

Hi Matt,

I have the Skywatch Xplorer 3 but had i read all the specs properly i would have coughed up the extra cash and purchased the Xplorer 4 for the altitude feature.

Its a great little unit that i use together with exbal on a PDA.

I particularly like the electronic compass that tells you from what direction the wind is blowing from in degrees, you can then cross reference this to a clock face and accurately plot the wind direction and speed into exbal.

Ian.

I replaced a Caldwell with the Xplorer 4 at under £70, a neat unit with the altimeter/ barometric pressure. It also shows trends over 48hrs, so a simple check on weather change.

Because the altitude is based on pressure change you will have to identify the height at a convenient point so you can recalibrate it easily and often.

Easy to use and a neat unit ... it has similar feature to the new Kestrel 2500.

I have a Kestrel and would recommend them very highly. There is a wide range to suit all pockets, with a vast array of features. mine is the 4500 i think, and seems to do just about everything.

• 1 month later...

Depends how much info you need.

As Dave said, the Kestrels are very good, probably the benchmark for this application. My 3500 has all the info you'd ever need

Chris-NZ

Depends how much info you need.

As Dave said, the Kestrels are very good, probably the benchmark for this application. My 3500 has all the info you'd ever need

Chris-NZ

hi

thanks for reply. ive bought a skywatch 4

cheers

matt

Archived