Dog with limp

beattie 16

Hi

I am in need of some help or advice. I have a 13 month old black labrador with a slight limp on the front. Had him xrayed, both his elbows are fine and has came back with nothing out of the ordinary. It has been going on for a while now.

Any advice or knowledge would be very much appreciated on what I could do next.

Tam

Have a close look at his pat on the sore foot. Quite often they get something in there that causes them to limp. We had a Lab to the vets one season that was limping really bad. After several visits to the vets & with nothing resolved i decided to have a closer look. I looked out an old magnifying glass and had a good look at her pad and there under the fur was a small hole with what turned out to be a thorn inside it. Took me a bit of digging with tweasers to get it out but as soon as i removed it she stopped limping. Just wish i had done it a week earlier as it would have saved somewere in the region of £200 :rolleyes:

Ads... ;)

Had exactly the same issue with my pup at 12 months; convinced myself he'd damaged a front 'wrist'; both the vet and I failed to notice that one of his dew claws was split into the quick.

[Alternatively, you're not over-walking him? Once given a rule of thumb that lab pups should be walked no more than 1 minute for each week of their life eg 6 month pup= 26 minutes per day; 12 month pup = 52 minutes etc]

I would go down looking at the pad route as Adam has metioned as i have had similar problem. Browndog is spot on with advice on walking to dont over do it i tell everyone this when i have pups & sell them one.

And if you do find out it was a problem with the pad go back to your vet and ask for your money back for the X ray. Checking the obvious and least expensive option is the first thing your vet should have done ( or perhaps he did?).

A good idea using the magnifying glass Auguhollie, I must remember that one.

Hi I have found that a lot of foot problems these days is due to the animal not having enough road work, roadwork does help harden the pads and will help prevent thorns and such like from causing problems. You might try a warm saltwater solution bathing the effected foot, as this will help draw any thorn to the surface, then you can remove them far easer.

Falling any improvement in the dog, you might consider having his shoulders checked out, I have seen a lot of shoulder problems in heavily built dogs over the past few years.

ATB Bob

Hi

I am in need of some help or advice. I have a 13 month old black labrador with a slight limp on the front. Had him xrayed, both his elbows are fine and has came back with nothing out of the ordinary. It has been going on for a while now.

Any advice or knowledge would be very much appreciated on what I could do next.

Tam

My fox terrier used to have a similar problem, which proven to be an infection between the pads (more like a rash, than an actual infection, I guess). Two days of antibiotics (for humans, didn't bother with the vet) would clear it. However, he would spend time licking the space between his pads. It used to happen when the dog would walk through sandy or wet muddy ground for a long time. Does your dog display any such behaviour (licking/bitting of the pad)?

Finman

I hope things are showing some improvement by now. Have nothing to add to the very good advice except to ask how the hell you achieve looking at a dogs pad with a magnifying glass? Mine would be wanting to help so much that it would be nigh one impossible unless 3 people were employed!

I hope things are showing some improvement by now. Have nothing to add to the very good advice except to ask how the hell you achieve looking at a dogs pad with a magnifying glass? Mine would be wanting to help so much that it would be nigh one impossible unless 3 people were employed!

My dogs are all kenneled so it just a case of letting them into the sitting room. Once on the sofa there out for the count :blush:

Ive just given my pup a hair cut and come across a big bump and sore...........lovely grass seed sticking out of it..............

Get the tweezers out, saline and betandine...........

Job done..............

Just keep an eye on it for infection now. hopefuly its all out.

Archived