Nickel Cases

Toby

Just wondered how many of you use/prefer nickel cases over the usual brass ones? Have also heard stories that they are harder on dies, don't know if this is true or not? I manage to scrounge some Federal nickel 6.5x55 cases from the bin at the range the other day(don't need them but took em anyway :P )was thinking about full length sizing them first and then using the Redding neck die with titanium nitride bushings for future reloads.Come with the pros and cons of nickel cases.

Regards Toby

There are various disadvantages quoted including harder on dies also damage to chambers where the nickel flakes off the fired / resized case and embeds itself in one part or another. It doesnt significantly improve corrosion resistance as Nickel is porous and so given few if any real advantages other than shiny like male jewellry I would leave it out of my reloading supplies/usage. I have a load of 243 cases here which are new and after using ten or so and seeing the speed at which they started to flake, they have remained in the dark cupboard under the stairs :P

Redfox

I've got some Federal Match .222 cases and some Remington 8x57 cases I have reloaded many times with no problems. Nickle cases were made to resist grit impregnation and the effects of atmosphere; not just to catch a shooter's eye. The only time I have had nickel flake off is on .357 Magnum cases that were reloaded too many times and became work hardened. I'm assuming the same it true for rifle.

I don't like them because the primer pockets (On the Rems, especially) seem to end up smaller on all dimensions when plated. Makes for a real pain in the a$$ when reloading. I have never worn out a set of reloading dies on any brass. For years I shot lots and lots of nickel plated .357 cases, reloaded in standard non-carbide reloading dies and had no problem.~Andrew

I also haven't had any major problems with nickel cases.

That being said, I typically use them for self defense loads that I keep in the house. The nickel plated cases seem to avoid corrosion, and feed flawlessly through several semi-auto pistols I own. (I know that isn't a major concern/need in the UK, since pistols are illegal there.) :wacko:

There's a reason most (if not all) self defense pistol loads come in nickel'ed brass. Manufacturer's know that most folks keep these rounds for "special" occaisions, and need a case that will resist oxidation when continually remvoed form mags and/or are handled quite a bit.

JMTCW...

The keeping of ammo was my understanding for the Ni plating too. As for rifle cartridges for us anyway it is not needed at all. I have seen rifle cases with as few as 5-6 reloads with the nickel flaking in the neck and shoulder area where most expansion and resizing takes place and several rifles with nasty marks in the chambers due to nickel flakes being dragged down them on extraction. I have seen others here and in US with similar experiences. Handguns, sadly we are unlikely to find out here in the near future but I can well understand Andrews and M PM1s expeiences with them in handguns. I have no plans to use them in my rifles at all and the 243s are staying under the stairs :wacko:

Redfox

Archived