First Chance for Roe Bucks

This was the first chance I have had to get out after some Roe bucks due to work commitments and family life, plus my stalking friend being busy too.

It was an early start for me, my alarm going off at 3am, getting all my gear ready and on the road for 3.30am as I had to be at my mates for 4.30….

It looked as if it was going to be a lovely morning, so we were off and hopes were high that we would find some yearlings, as I'm not after big trophies.

The only problem we had is the fact the cover has grown very high, but we had some meadows to take a look at, so we arrived at our first bit of ground, and as we were driving along the lane a Roe Buck was walking along in front of us, and it dashed off to our left into a field of rape, and was gone.

The first stop all we saw were does, so off to our next patch and again all we spotted were does….where were they in the doe season?????

So now for plan B, and I was dropped off at a wood and it was off to a high seat for an hour and hopefully we would get lucky.

On my slow approach to the seat I bumped a Roe doe, I stood my ground and she wasn't sure what I was but she didn't like it and was off barking as she made her way through to the other end of the wood.

I was in the high seat by 6am, and was scanning the wood with my bins, then at 6.15 I spotted a Muntjac doe making here way to my right so I steady my rifle and waited for her to stop for a safe shot, she stopped broadside, my cross-hairs were on her and I squeezed off my shot, she leapt up and dashed off 10 yards into some thick cover, I reloaded and looked at the time 6.20, so I would give it till 6.45 before I got down to search for her.

Then I heard a muntjac bark and then I was really worried as I thought I had a wounded deer to find, I knew my shot was true, but the muntjac barking set seeds of doubt in my mind, then I saw a muntjac heading towards me from the same spot a saw the doe head into.

Looking through my bins it was a Buck, and it was sniffing around the area where I last saw the doe, so that confirmed that she was lying there in the cover, so as soon as he gave me a broadside shot I was ready, my cross-hairs settled I squeezed off my shot and he dashed into the same bit of cover where the doe was. Now my mind was really full of doubts, I looked at my watch 6.25, so at 6.45 I headed off to the spot where I had shot them, but I needn't have worried as they were both within 3 yards of each other in the cover.

Both were shot just behind the shoulder, and the exit wounds were large enough, and upon the gralloch the heart and lungs were mashed, just shows how hardy these little deer are.

We headed off to a meadow for one final chance of a Roe buck, we slowly stalked to a promising hedgerow, but not a thing, so we stalked to another spot and still nothing…so back to our first spot and a Roe doe was out and she spotted us and was off barking as she made off, then over the hedge on a brow of a small hill a nice buck stood up and scanned the area, there was no chance of a shot, but if he made off to our right and down the small brow he would be a safe shot, he stopped for a split second and I was on him, but then the fact that the two muntjac made a dash for it after my shot I hesitated for that vital second, and he was off.

So no Roe bucks but two muntjac were a bonus.

107_0186.jpg

Nice going Kip

They are tough little buggars those muties, I've hit them hard with the 308 in the past and they have run off like i missed them but when you find them in the bush a little way off with no engine room left it makes you wonder how

again nice shooting and better luck with the Roe Bucks next time

Ian

I'm pretty jealous of your result to be honest! When I go out after Roe quite often I find myself getting them in the crosshairs and letting them go because it all feels a bit too easy? Munties on the other hand, if I could just get my crosshairs on one I wouldn't hesitate for a second! I'm itching to shoot one but they just evade me every time I go out!

So... Nice shooting. Two Munties in one day would be a dream come true for me!

Archived