Wow, what a place.

My first ever real trip to Scotland and I was not disappointed.

It was a bit of a journey, in fact it was an 1100 mile round trip, but well worth it and it was my second foray into the UK F class league. I could give you a boring write up of how it went, but I think a picture or two speaks a thousand words in this case, just don't be fooled by the wind flag in the first photo, as one of the organisers said to me Diggle barks, Blair Atholl bites How right he was

.All the photos are taken from the range bar one, which was taken on the way up to it.

PICT0047-1.jpg

Firing point

PICT0059.jpg

Butts and butt

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0044-1.jpg

Ian,

glad you enjoyed Blair - it's a great range. I see you did well again - 14th, and being one of the few elite Open boys to hit 70 in a match! (Match 5 was my best too.) It's reckoned to be the 4th or 5th 'hardest' range in the world by those who shoot TR and MR internationally. It's hardest with the wind as it was over the weekend, coming in from the north / north east. The prevailing wind is from behind and a bit across - difficult enough, but nothing like shooting into a headwind that also varies sideways. You probably noticed it also affects the vertical position of the shot too - a real bugger when you call the wind right, but get pushed up or down a lot. Just console yourself that you weren't shooting F/TR. Winner Ian Dixon was the sole F/TR shooter to hit or better 60 (ex 75 for those not there) in all 5 matches, and the top F/TR stage score was Russell Simmonds' 67 in Match 4. See the (lack of) V-Bulls too, Vanessa Duffy top F/TR with a grand total of 6 and most of the field down on one or two for the whole weekend!

I don't know if you noticed, but there are 1,100 and 1,200yd firing points for Match Rifle competitions as you enter the range. Imagine shooting at 1,200yd with a .308W in last weekend's wind!

The results are 'up' on the GB F-Class assoc website with a report to be added shortly, for those interested. See:

F-Class Assoc Comps Page

Blair Athol

stayed there several times, but never shot at the Glen Tilt range.

Wonderful place, but very frustrating.

Good to catch up with everyone in the F Class league, finally had the chance to have the craich with Laurie and meet up with old friends (yes that includes you Ian)

I had a good start to the comp - 4 of the 5 shoots went well, despite the wind being as described; a complete baxxxrd!

The last detail,, I messed up several wind calls and ended haemoraging points,

Some more pics

_ASC0153.jpg

Sunday Am was spent watching 100 or so Reds about 2 miles away just under the right side snow patch

_ASC0152.jpg

Some of the rifles and competitors

_ASC0137.jpg

_ASC0138.jpg

_ASC0139.jpg

_ASC0142-1.jpg

Hey Andy,

I can just see my hat, earmuffs and top of the tubegun handguard 8 barrels down from the camera in your bottom shot - probably more than enough! I'm more used to being behind the camera lens than in front. Good pics from both you and Ian.

I saw you skulking around catching people unawares!! :angry:

I have a few more that I can send if you want some for the write up.

Files will be large though 12mp camera.

Fantastic pictures Ian.

Glad you had a great time and had a good finnish.

Feeling quite jealous as work commitments have screwed things up this year.

Will catch up at the Bisley shoot, should be intersting as there will be 1100 and 1200 yard stages.

Cheers

Dave

By the looks of them pictures i have simply got to give it a go. Thanks for sharing Ian and Laurie.

Archived