Is my FAC in danger

tikka3006

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice,

the problem is, I'm living with my mother at the moment & my brother is comming out of prision after a stretch for GBH, the old girl bless her wants him to come and live with us, how do I fair having the lying scheming that which promotes growth and vigour living under the same roof as me, I'll probably phone my FLO & his probation officer this week anyway, but being forwarned would help

many thanks

Ian

Ian

simple answer is you could be,

There will be obvious issues with a person with previous conviction for violence in a house where there are firearms stored.

By being upfront about it and speaking to your FEO and probation may assist you - he may be placed elswhere perhaps.

At the end of the day, it is you who is the licence holder not he, but the fact he may be coming to reside under your roof may have implications.

Interesting one, sorry cannot give firmer reply, good luck.

Hi

you will not have a problem unless he used to be a firearm holder his self. if he has had firearms and lost them no one can hold them in the house wile he is living there. if he as never held firearms then there should not be any problems at all.

ATB

Colin

Sorry Col but I have been advised the complete opposite to what your suggesting by both BASC and the police.

A few years ago now I was shacked up with a woman whose son was doin time for house breaking and when the cops were driving him round to help their clear up rate he confessed to wanting to "do a post office" with shooters.

Now I didn't even know she had a son.

When we split and my FEO came to visit me he told me all of this and he said luckily for me he [the son] went to a hostel otherwise it would have had serious implications for me and my firearms. I talked to BASC and they confirmed his [FEO] view of the situation.

It is however dependant on the circumstances so my advice is to speak with BASC first, then the police and then decide what to do if anything.

I know this is family but be careful who you get into bed with, it could cost you more than you think.

Sorry Col but I have been advised the complete opposite to what your suggesting by both BASC and the police.

A few years ago now I was shacked up with a woman whose son was doin time for house breaking and when the cops were driving him round to help their clear up rate he confessed to wanting to "do a post office" with shooters.

Now I didn't even know she had a son.

When we split and my FEO came to visit me he told me all of this and he said luckily for me he [the son] went to a hostel otherwise it would have had serious implications for me and my firearms. I talked to BASC and they confirmed his [FEO] view of the situation.

It is however dependant on the circumstances so my advice is to speak with BASC first, then the police and then decide what to do if anything.

I know this is family but be careful who you get into bed with, it could cost you more than you think.

well i can tell you from first hand experience that what i have advised is true. now this was with the Nottingham force yours may make up there own rules as the different forces so often do.

ATB

Colin

I think the safest bet is to run it past your FEO. You obviously realise it could be a problem so jump in there early and ask them what they think the best solution is. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks really, it's your FEO that you need to keep happy so do whatever he advises!

I would ask for it in writing as well. as what they may tell you may not be law. with a copy you will have hard proof and in asking for it in writing they will be forced to abide by the law and not do just as they like.

ATB

Colin

Thanks Guys

I'll get a letter off to firearms admin today, as col says if I get advice from them in writing they can't wriggle out of it in the future if they give me wrong or misleading advice.

thanks

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
I would go the BASC route first, thats what you pay your subs for and Mike Eversleigh is a top bloke and ex copper so he should no the score.

A

The trouble is though, as has been previously mentioned, different forces interpret the law in different ways! There was a bit of a debacle at Bisley where they wouldn't sell you ammunition marked .308 if you only had 7.62 on your ticket (apparently at Surrey Polices insistance)!

Best of luck sorting it out though...

Cheers

JohnE

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice guys,

I would just like to update you on what happened, Gwent Police FLO advised me that due to the nature of the crime and the length of sentance my brother was classed as a prohibited person and could not live in the house or even visit, I did not argue against this as on this occasion, right or wrong police prohibition was what I was looking for .

I must also apologise to those that took time to post on my selling up thread in the sales section, it was a spur of a moment 2minutes of madness due to the above problem, everthing is now resolved and all's well in my firearms world (although a 338 lapua mag would be nice)

thanks

Ian

Thanks for the advice guys,

I would just like to update you on what happened, Gwent Police FLO advised me that due to the nature of the crime and the length of sentance my brother was classed as a prohibited person and could not live in the house or even visit, I did not argue against this as on this occasion, right or wrong police prohibition was what I was looking for .

I must also apologise to those that took time to post on my selling up thread in the sales section, it was a spur of a moment 2minutes of madness due to the above problem, everthing is now resolved and all's well in my firearms world (although a 338 lapua mag would be nice)

thanks

Ian

glad it all worked out for you chap

ATB

Colin

First thing to do is not call your brother a "lying scheming that which promotes growth and vigour", he is your brother after all

Brother or not it still sounds like he's a bit of a cock!

I'm really glad your life hasn't been affected by something out of your control Colin. That would be a terrible thing to happen.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with circumstances like your own except it was his son coming out of prison,The police told him they were going to withdraw his FAC.as his son posed a severe risk to others,My mate was working out of town when the police raided his home,and told him unless he came back they were within their rights to get a locksmith and physically take his fireams.

In the end he was told he would have to take his guns into a local club for safe holding.He agreed to this but in a latter stage

they did revoke his FAC.

so its all down to the police force in question,some you win some you lose

He has a 10/22 ruger only fired about 50 shots through it, still in the club on retention. :lol:

Archived