Diggle 600 yd firing point

After reading Vince B's report on the new SEB rest I'm slightly concerned. Vince states that you're shooting uphill using the Diggle 600 yard firing point. Apparently it's difficult to get enough elavation using the old SEB rest (which I have) I know Vince was referring the bench-rest shooters but I'm guessing the same thing applies to the prone F classer's?

I see that some people are using extended legs on the old SEB's (which I don't have) to get the extra elevation.

Any suggestions?

Have you got a lower rear bag Ian?

That would increase you elevation.

I have the opposite problem at Bisley as the ground falls away on the firing points and I have to raise my rear bag as my Seb rest won't go low enough.

Cheers and good luck next weekend

Dave

Have you got a lower rear bag Ian?

That would increase you elevation.

I have the opposite problem at Bisley as the ground falls away on the firing points and I have to raise my rear bag as my Seb rest won't go low enough.

Cheers and good luck next weekend

Dave

Luckily Dave I do have a lower rear bag, I hope it is low enough to give the elevation needed. Started my reloading today and watching my stash of RL 25 getting lower and lower :)

Ian

I havent shot from te 600yard point, however I have from the 500 using my F Class gun.

I also use the "old" style SEB rest.

I have no issues.

I do carry with me some "pads" made from 3" square ply that stop the feet entering the ground - some people have had these feet machined so they are permanently attached (made from ally).

Anyway the ply feet work for me and appear quite stable if given a "thump" on the ground.

Good luck at the weekend.

Now confirmed I am on nights...

I will be going to Blair though.

The 600 point is low Ian, bring your lowest bag, and be prepared to "jack" up your rest on wood [ usually supplied] I made up some longer than normal legs, and feet for my seb, for this problem.

Ian,

when you talk F-Class, it's much less of a problem than benchrest as the open grass-covered 600yd firing points are higher up the steep valley side and situated just below the range-house, while the covered BR firing point is very low situated only a few feet above the valley floor and the reservoir.

Having said this, several of the grass firing points require a degree of elevation, so a low rear bag is often a good idea. With the firing platforms markedly stepped down the hillside, the amount of elevation required is affected too by the target you're squadded onto, the right hand target firing points being much lower than the far left. It also varies according to range, so you have a lot of difference between matches particularly on the 800 / 900 / 1,000yd national rounds.

As an F/TR shooter, I take two rear bags with me, high and low, and use whichever suits the position better on the day. Some other F/TR Effers like Vince Bottomley use a pillow bag or similar thin design instead of an eared bag and do very well with it. It's really only an issue for the F/TR shooters who are limited by bipod designs - the Open shooters generally manage OK with any design of pedestal rest whether Bald Eagle, better Cauldwell models, Sinclair or the Mk1 Seb. As Dave W says, a wooden batten may help to raise a pedestal rest's front screws in extreme cases.

Laurie

Archived