.223 load

Snowz

any body got any good loads for 75gr Amax with a 1/8 .223

cheers

Richard

Hi richard , i shoot vit 135 with 23.2 grns,,giving me 1/3 inch at 100 mts still need a little work on...and showing 2750 fps average.out of my 1/8 twist tikka

Im sure i did another load upto 24 grns that was shooting better,cant remember of top of my head and am away till march bud..will pass that on when im home.

I have used 24 grns out to 830ish yds with good effect while shooting with glen.(trigger2) but found the primers slightly flattened.

Obv start lower and work up

Mick

Hi richard , i shoot vit 135 with 23.2 grns,,giving me 1/3 inch at 100 mts still need a little work on...and showing 2750 fps average.out of my 1/8 twist tikka

Im sure i did another load upto 24 grns that was shooting better,cant remember of top of my head and am away till march bud..will pass that on when im home.

I have used 24 grns out to 830ish yds with good effect while shooting with glen.(trigger2) but found the primers slightly flattened.

Obv start lower and work up

Mick

cheers Mick,

been looking around the other forums and web to see who uses what powder etc, i have a tub of Benchmark only just opened so gonna try that but want to see whats the best powder with out buying a tub of each ;)

Will work some loads up and try,

cheers Richard

Benchmark is a bit ` fast` for 75 grain bullets...it will work but you will be fighting a loosing battle if you want the best out of your load..

Varget, Reloader 15, N140, N540 or H4895 all worked well in my Sako 75 with 75 Amax..

24.5gns of N140 in Lap match brass was my load of choice, 25.0 grns was better but a tad hot ...@2850 ish...

Varget, Reloader 15, N140, N540 or H4895 all worked well in my Sako 75 with 75 Amax..

With Martin on that - these are definitely the ones to try with this bullet. Personally, I'd kick off with Varget as it's usually hard to beat with 75-82gn bullets in this cartridge.

With a 1-8" twist, why not try some of the 80s too? The 80gn Nosler and Sierra only have a slightly higher BC than the 75gn A-Max, but the 80gn Berger VLD and Hornady A-Max are much better ballistically. If you don't like secant ogive bullets with their seating depth fussiness, give the new 82gn Berger Match BT a try - this one could be a winner in fast-twist 223s at long range. High BC (0.227 G7 / 0.444 G1 compared to 0.212 / 0.414 for the 75gn A-Max, and stands comparison with the 80gn VLD and A-Max as only slightly down, but easy to get it to shoot well as a tangent ogive design).

Other powders to try with the 75gn A-Max if you can find them are Accurate Arms AA-2460 and AA-2520 ball powders. They give very high MVs and good accuracy, but are dirty burners leaving a very hard fouling residue on the case-neck that is a bugger to get off. (Must try the tip I've read of spraying necks with WD40 straight after shooting to see if that works.) I managed to get the 75 A-Max up to 3,000 fps from a 26" barrel with good accuracy with 2520.

Laurie

24.5gns of N140 in Lap match brass was my load of choice , 25.0 grns was better but a tad hot ...@2850 ish...

Sniper fox , I use the exact same load as varmartin in my 8 twist tikka , and get a respectable 2850 fps.

I also tried Varget .. H4895 .. H380 but got the best results with Vit N140.

I found that 75 grn Amax like to be kissing the lands or sat a few thou back IME.

The COL for my 223 load is 2.550 ,, obviously no chance of fitting in a standard mag.

My new 22.250 .. same thing ... Bullet kissing the lands and a slug of IMR 4350 and it shot tiny groups.

ATB

Alan

Archived