Muntjac and predation

Can anyone tell me if a large fox population would keep Muntjac levels low? The reason I ask is we have had Muntjac on the ground for probably 10 years but the population seems to be very static.

We have a lot of thick cover, gorse/bracken conifer plantations mature woodland, plus lots of arable covering 6000 acres.

There is a very high Roe and Fallow population, and I know Charlie is partial to young Roe fawns, and I'm wondering if this is the reason why the Muntjac have not spread as quickly as I was led to believe they would.

Pete (Tika260) whats it like on your side of the hill?

Hi I carry out muntjac management for a on a large estate on which we shoot 50 -60 muntac per year which has a high fox population for many years and it has not seen to effect to level of muntjac on it, saying that i have regulary seen muntjac does become very twichy and nervous when a fox joins them in the field so they must find them a threat for some reason be it not to them as adults but to there offspring.

Are you in a big muntjac area or have they only just arrived, possibly be that they dont like competing with the roe and move on to find there own place, which for a muntjac has not got to be more than a few trees? We seem to have it the other way around and because of the high ammount for muntjac the odd roe you see seams to just pass through.

Cloverleaf, we are on the edge of the Muntjac spread and have been for the last 5 years. From what I have seen of Muntjac habitat in Buckinghamshire (many years ago) I would say we have prime ground. Lots of little woods but also large blocks of woodland some probably as large as 500 acres or perhaps more. All the woodland is commercially managed and most of it has been planted with deer and game in mind, wide rides etc.

Fox take Muntjac fawns like nobody's business, given they are small rabbit size when young and not very big until nearly a year later they are easy pickings for Charlie.

I have watched a fox kill three in rapid succesion on a large open area of new plantings and then carry all three off to the waiting cubs no doubt.

So if your population is low they will have a significant effect, you will have to up your fox control :rolleyes:

Redfox

Thats if you really want a greater population of these little buggers, having seen the damage they cause to dogs in cover, a minimal number would be preferable.

But sport is sport, I will be the first to admit the munty is the best imho deer in the uk to stalk, very alert yet easy to deal with once grassed. To chase a barking munty buck through thick cover pumps with the best.

Fox take Muntjac fawns like nobody's business, given they are small rabbit size when young and not very big until nearly a year later they are easy pickings for Charlie.

I have watched a fox kill three in rapid succesion on a large open area of new plantings and then carry all three off to the waiting cubs no doubt.

So if your population is low they will have a significant effect, you will have to up your fox control :rolleyes:

Redfox

The estate is divided into three main shoots, unfortunately the area's that would appear prime Muntjac territory aren't within my shoot boundaries and the fox control carried out on either of these sites is a joke to say the least.

The areas do hold Muntjac, but I thought they would have spread much further and quicker. From a keepering point of view I don't really want them as I have heard they like cover crop of which I have many acres, it's bad enough here with Roe deer running around in the cover crops during the drive spewing birds left right and centre!

I have come across Roe fawn carcasses on quite a few fox earths, but whether these have been still born or just opportunist casualties I do not know.

They are easy meat for Charlie including roe fawns and young fallow too. I thought from your post you wanted more! as they are probably the best eating deer, Ilike them better than roe on the plate.

If you dont want more why worry, Charlies doing it for you :rolleyes:

Redfox

They are easy meat for Charlie including roe fawns and young fallow too. I thought from your post you wanted more! as they are probably the best eating deer, Ilike them better than roe on the plate.

If you dont want more why worry, Charlies doing it for you :rolleyes:

Redfox

Because I want to know why there aren't more.

Ian

Strangely enough, there are very few on the north side, we have had a a couple each year over the past 5 years or so, and a few more sighted. There are some incomers from Petworth direction on the north east end of the Estate, but certainly not a common occurrence to spot one.

The habitat is similar of course, but the climate profile is different I would suggest, maybe they prefer the sunny side of the street over your way?

P

Muntjac are a total pain in the arse on a sporting estate. They'll empty feeders, ruin drives by running through covers, severely damage valuable dogs, beat the crap out of release pens, the list is endless.

Bugger up stalking fallow and roe as they'll often sit tight till you almost step on them.

We have a shoot on sight policy here, they do more harm than good, it's about the only thing we agree with Deer Initiative about.

If you run a tight ship on vermin control then you'll have to deal with them as their only predator apart from us is the ginger ninja.

If it seems I don't like these little aliens, you'll be perfectly correct, I detest them for all the grief they've given us over the years and can't wait for the large deer season to end so we can cull them hard as we do every year.

We have one older beater who has been coming to the estate for over 30yrs and stepped on one in some ground elder and his shin was opened up to the bone through his wellie from his ankle to knee.

In my opinion, unless you have no other deer to stalk or no interest in shooting game then you'll probably welcome them, if not then eliminate them, I'd like them to go the same way as the coypu to be honest.

Pete.

We are on the edge of the wobun estate so plenty here. BUT CWD are the ones that turn up most on shoots because Munties are small enought to live in back gardens where they knw they can hole up if there isnt a dog. Yes fox will take them but they are also wiley and will keep a much lower profile than CWD etc The young are also very adept at getting through sheep netting and in to rabbit burrows etc to be safe.

IMHO there are probably more munties than you think but maybe in the village as much as on the estate

jan

Muntjac are a total pain in the arse on a sporting estate. They'll empty feeders, ruin drives by running through covers, severely damage valuable dogs, beat the crap out of release pens, the list is endless.

Bugger up stalking fallow and roe as they'll often sit tight till you almost step on them.

We have a shoot on sight policy here, they do more harm than good, it's about the only thing we agree with Deer Initiative about.

If you run a tight ship on vermin control then you'll have to deal with them as their only predator apart from us is the ginger ninja.

If it seems I don't like these little aliens, you'll be perfectly correct, I detest them for all the grief they've given us over the years and can't wait for the large deer season to end so we can cull them hard as we do every year.

We have one older beater who has been coming to the estate for over 30yrs and stepped on one in some ground elder and his shin was opened up to the bone through his wellie from his ankle to knee.

In my opinion, unless you have no other deer to stalk or no interest in shooting game then you'll probably welcome them, if not then eliminate them, I'd like them to go the same way as the coypu to be honest.

Pete.

I declare the opposite , wish we had them up North. If youre sick of them then you are more than welcome to offload them up here .......

Archived