20ppc load data wanted

lee w 118

Guest Scotland Rifles

the rifle is a mckillop rifles .20 tac

the head is a Hornady Vmax 40gr. set 5thou of the lands.

the brass is made by Dekota.

the primers are CCI 400 small rifle primers

the powder is RL10x at 24.1 gr.

the end result is a very potant rifle that is just about recoiless and a pleasure to shoot.

bob.

Am I missing something, Bob? The question was about a 20PPC, not a 20 tac.

Lee, do you have a copy of Todd Kindler's book 'The Terrific Twenties'?

hi there mate! yes i have Todds book.just wanted to ask if any varminting loads any shooters are using. many thanks LEE

hi there can anyone help me with 20ppc load development please.cheers lee.

Hi Mate,

I have been using a 20ppc on a BAT action with a 17" Bartlein Barrel for abou 4 years now, The load I have settled on is 27.6gr of vit N133 and 39gr sierra blitz kings. This load is extremely accurate and gives 3800fps out of the aforementioned 17" barrel. The usual caveat applies in that it is safe in my rifle and you should start 10% below this figure and work your way up.

If you need anymore info let me know.

All the best,

Nick.

Guest Scotland Rifles
Am I missing something, Bob? The question was about a 20PPC, not a 20 tac.

Lee, do you have a copy of Todd Kindler's book 'The Terrific Twenties'?

what a plonker i am,

sorry lee,

throw my comments in the bin mate, i think i need new glass ;) in front of my eyes and not in a scope.

bob.

Hi Mate,

I have been using a 20ppc on a BAT action with a 17" Bartlein Barrel for abou 4 years now, The load I have settled on is 27.6gr of vit N133 and 39gr sierra blitz kings. This load is extremely accurate and gives 3800fps out of the aforementioned 17" barrel. The usual caveat applies in that it is safe in my rifle and you should start 10% below this figure and work your way up.

If you need anymore info let me know.

All the best,

Nick.

thanks nick. im havin a 20ppc built by walker riflies IACS STOCK bat svr action and Bartlein 22" barrel,and a nice scope 5x25x56 pm11 on top . any chance me cumin over to see you .new to reloading

That sounds a cracking set up.

Just be a bit wary of Todd's loads, they are known to be pretty hot. I have found best accuracy in my 20BR to be somewhat below fastest speed with the Berger 50s, mind you I am far from the best shot in the world.

If you want some Norman Clark (Rugby) had stock of the 39gr SBKs a week before xmas having been out of stock since the spring , assuming you are looking to run a 1 in 11 or 12 you might want to grab some while you are this way unless you are based around here also.

Nick,

17" barrel !!, crickey I recon my 27 incher has a bit of room to be rechambered a few times then ;). On that basis your load in a 27" tube should run out at about 4100 fps if it holds together. Fast.

A

That sounds a cracking set up.

Just be a bit wary of Todd's loads, they are known to be pretty hot. I have found best accuracy in my 20BR to be somewhat below fastest speed with the Berger 50s, mind you I am far from the best shot in the world.

If you want some Norman Clark (Rugby) had stock of the 39gr SBKs a week before xmas having been out of stock since the spring , assuming you are looking to run a 1 in 11 or 12 you might want to grab some while you are this way unless you are based around here also.

Nick,

17" barrel !!, crickey I recon my 27 incher has a bit of room to be rechambered a few times then ;). On that basis your load in a 27" tube should run out at about 4100 fps if it holds together. Fast.

A

cheers Nick thanks very much. im runnin 1 in 11 40g vmax or 39gr sbks is the way forward i think / thanks again Lee

the rifle is a mckillop rifles .20 tac

the head is a Hornady Vmax 40gr. set 5thou of the lands.

the brass is made by Dekota.

the primers are CCI 400 small rifle primers

the powder is RL10x at 24.1 gr.

the end result is a very potant rifle that is just about recoiless and a pleasure to shoot.

bob.

Bob,

The Dakota brass is genuine Lapua brass, the Lapua stamp is on the base of the cartridge. Dakota Arms just get it made with their name and logo on it.

Andrew

thanks nick. im havin a 20ppc built by walker riflies IACS STOCK bat svr action and Bartlein 22" barrel,and a nice scope 5x25x56 pm11 on top . any chance me cumin over to see you .new to reloading

Hi Lee,

Pete rebarelled my rifle in May/June and did an excellent job, the reamer took while to arrive from the States but it was definatley worth the wait.

You are quite welcome to come down and have a look at my reloading set up, whereabouts are you in the country?

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Lee,

Pete rebarelled my rifle in May/June and did an excellent job, the reamer took while to arrive from the States but it was definatley worth the wait.

You are quite welcome to come down and have a look at my reloading set up, whereabouts are you in the country?

Regards,

Nick.

Hello mate

thanks for the invite. I am living in walsall in the westmids at the moment. will it be possible to come and have a chat this weekend. thanks again Nick.

my phone no is 07776035614

Hello mate

thanks for the invite. I am living in walsall in the westmids at the moment. will it be possible to come and have a chat this weekend. thanks again Nick.

my phone no is 07776035614

Lee,

I am working nights at the moment, I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon,

Regards,

Nick.

The 20ppc is a good choice - with hindsight I probably would have got one over a 20tac, not that there's anything wrong with the 20tac though.

PPC is harder to form.

You will be hard pushed to see much difference below 300 yards, both excellent rounds with the PPC doing with a 39/40gr what the TAC 20 will do with a 32/33gr.

A

PPC is harder to form.

You will be hard pushed to see much difference below 300 yards, both excellent rounds with the PPC doing with a 39/40gr what the TAC 20 will do with a 32/33gr.

A

if you are going to build a repeater you would be better off going with the tac/prac 20,as to the velocity of the two rounds there is'nt a great deal of difference between the two,with a load of 25.1 grns of n133 i get 3800 out of my prac 20 with the 39 blitzkings all be it with a barrel 3'' longer than nicks but using 2.5 grains less powder.

with the forming of the rounds,tac 20 you can get factory brass,ppc and prac 20 one pass in a bushing die and you are good to go.

atb paul

if you are going to build a repeater you would be better off going with the tac/prac 20,as to the velocity of the two rounds there is'nt a great deal of difference between the two,with a load of 25.1 grns of n133 i get 3800 out of my prac 20 with the 39 blitzkings all be it with a barrel 3'' longer than nicks but using 2.5 grains less powder.

with the forming of the rounds,tac 20 you can get factory brass,ppc and prac 20 one pass in a bushing die and you are good to go.

atb paul

thanks paul for your imput. regards LEE

Archived