dealers for Redding dies + accessories?

TonyH

I've tried Reloading Solutions, Norman Clark, and Modern & Antique Firearms (latter doesn't answer the phone) for a Redding bushing I need quickly, all out of stock; I called (reluctantly) The Sportsman in Exeter but the youth I spoke to didn't even know what bushing dies were...

Anybody recommend another dealer who is known to stock Redding stuff?

Thanks, TonyH

Have you tried Trent Firearms ? what size bushing are you after ? you never know someone on here might have a spare or at least lend you one until you manage to source your own.

I got some bullets earlier this year from Trent, helpful bloke & good prices - called him just now and although he has some bushings, not the one I want, which is .252

I posted a "Wants" here yesterday for that bushing size, plus another, and a Comp die in .223, no response yet...

Thanks, TonyH

Tony

I think the closest I have is a .248 or .249 - I have a 22-250AI with .252 nk

Sinclair International would be the easiest source outside of UK.

Trent Firearms would be my first contact in the UK.

Tony

just checked, nearest I have spare is .247"

If you are desperate, I could machine one for you, although it would not be as slippery as a Tn coated one.

Iv'e made them before for my own use when necking down and they work very well.

Offers there anyway.

RF

the last small item I bought from there was a remington 700 extractor - sure you know the size and weight - postage and packing was £8 and it arrived in an A4 envelope....go figure!

Tony

just checked, nearest I have spare is .247"

If you are desperate, I could machine one for you, although it would not be as slippery as a Tn coated one.

Iv'e made them before for my own use when necking down and they work very well.

Offers there anyway.

Thanks very much Ronin - Elwood too - for your kind offers. I have a .250 bushing, but my 22-250 brass necks, loaded, measure a consistent .254-.255 and I think I'm putting too much neck tension on with my bushing. My best bet is that .252 would be a safe compromise. I'm astonished at your offer, Ronin, to machine one for me! At Christmas? Blimey, that's beyond the call of duty... If you're an experienced machinist I dare say it's a fairly straightforward job but even so... I've got a lathe, at last, but a chum gave it to me very recently and precision machining is beyond me! I am reluctant to accept your offer unless you assure me it's a quick & easy job and won't interfere with your roast turkey; otherwise, I'll take the advice of others and get one from the USA, though the 2-week wait will be inconvenient. Re Midway, yes, I'm aware of their minimum charge and don't wish to pay 8 quid on top of the 18 or so for a TiN bushing.

Regards, TonyH

Tony

I have been "back into" machining for just over the last two years.

Self taught, apart from school, some very kind assistance from a very experienced machinist here and from a chap in scotland :P

It would take me about 1/2 hr to do from a piece of take off barrel, I have a stainless take off 22-250 barrel (bore obviously .224") that would do nicely to take out to .252".

PM me your address and i'll "spin" one up for you, it wont arrive in your stocking though :D .

If its no good you can buy one from Midway or Sinclair.

...It would take me about 1/2 hr to do from a piece of take off barrel, I have a stainless take off 22-250 barrel (bore obviously .224") that would do nicely to take out to .252".

PM me your address and i'll "spin" one up for you, it wont arrive in your stocking though :P ...

Many thanks - PM sent.

Tony

Bit of a side note - I am currently using a .249 for my 22-250 and the bullets seem a little slack to me ( if you push the bullet with a little force it will go back into the case), do i need to go to a .248 or .247 ( maybe less - i will let you guys guide me)

it is the first time i have used neck bushing dies and would like a little guidance

Ronin,

Do you want to sell the.247 neck bushing, if so i will happily buy it from you.

Paul

Bit of a side note - I am currently using a .249 for my 22-250 and the bullets seem a little slack to me ( if you push the bullet with a little force it will go back into the case), do i need to go to a .248 or .247 ( maybe less - i will let you guys guide me)

it is the first time i have used neck bushing dies and would like a little guidance.............Paul

I was advised initially that I would probably find .248 or .249 bushings correct but this turns out not to be the case - at least, with my particular new neck-turned WIN brass + 55gr V-Max bullet.I keep measuring test rounds, and with either new untouched WIN brass or my (gently) neck turned stuff and that bullet, the case necks measure a consistent .254-.255...

I imagine these things change over time, and of course there's lots of potential for variations between different headstamps.

TonyH

Tony

completed bushing

Sat next to .247" Redding Tn bushing.

There is a slightly greater chamfer on the other side like the redding bush by the way.

DSCN2042.jpg

These Redding bushes measure .500"

so does the one I machined ;)

DSCN2044.jpg

The internal diameter you wanted was .252"

This is .252" ;):D

DSCN2045.jpg

Will post day after boxing day for you.

Took me 35 mins from raw to completed.

Paul (TulkyUK)

to be honest I would rather keep the spare .247 bushing as I sometimes need it on moly bullets for extra tension.

Tony

completed bushing

Sat next to .247" Redding Tn bushing.

There is a slightly greater chamfer on the other side like the redding bush by the way.

These Redding bushes measure .500"

so does the one I machined ;)

The internal diameter you wanted was .252"

This is .252" ;):D

Now you're showing off! Many thanks Ronin, that's very impressive - and very generous.

Will post day after boxing day for you.

Took me 35 mins from raw to completed.

Well, youve obviously developed your lathe technique, makes me itch to have a go myself. Thanks again, extraordinarily kind and helpful. I just hope you don't get inundated with machining requests...

Best wishes for Christmas - Tony

Nice work! I take my hat off to machinist,s A.you gotta have good gear to do this and B you gotta know what your doing.

I would like to upgrade my lathe and tools one day thats easy! but its the knowing what I,m doing bit that concerns me,dream on ,Onehole.

Tony

ive tested the bushing with some once fired standard neck 22-250 PMC brass I have lying around here;

Fired case measures .256" at neck

DSCN2053.jpg

Sized neck, just a smigeon over.252"

DSCN2056.jpg

Then did a few more cases all worked out fine - also marked the bushing side that needs to be red face down in the die.

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2058.jpg

Sorry havent a laser etch machine to engrave the size - you will have to make do with red marker ;)

The lathe by the way is a 13x40 with a DRO on x and y axis - which helps alot when making things to fine tolerances :)

Tony

ive tested the bushing with some once fired standard neck 22-250 PMC brass I have lying around here;

Fired case measures .256" at neck.....[snip]..

Thanks, very interesting to see the figures which others get. I'll look forward to some new test rounds which I hope to send down range next week.

Sorry havent a laser etch machine to engrave the size - you will have to make do with red marker :D

That's OK - I'll send them to Elwood :)

The lathe by the way is a 13x40 with a DRO on x and y axis - which helps alot when making things to fine tolerances ;)

Bit beyond me at my present stage, but thanks anyway!

Regards, Tony

Paul

If it takes a little force to push the bullet back into the case after loading it sounds about right, this is a sometimes quoted rough guide to correct neck tension in some reloading manuals.

Just shoot them as they are and let the rifle tell you.

Pete.

Archived