Varget loads for 243 Win

Oly

I'm just about to start playing around with some Varget, having never tried it before. If anyone has any good loads they would like to share, inparticular for 55 Nosler ballistic tips, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Oly

Chris, yes that's what hod's own website says too, and there are loads of loads on reloaders nest too, but I would quite like to know of any that work for the 'real' folk on here if you know what I mean.

I've been using 44 grains of varget with 55 grain Sierra Blitzkings. I find them very accurate in my .243 Tikka rifle, but have to seat them well in to the case to get a consistent 'burn'.

oly.

use varget for all my reloading calibers 223rem , 243win, and 308win, in all three i find i get better groups using cci br primers rather than standard primers but stay away from magumn primers for varget as they are too hot.

my 243 loads i use are all cci br primers in lapau brass neck sized only and trimed to lenght as required . dont use anything lighter than 70 grains so cant help with the 55 grainers

so with sierra 70grn blitking i use 40 grains of varget and seat 25 thou off the lands

87 grain vmax i use 37 grains of varget seated 30 off the lands

90 grns nosler hunting balistic tip is 37 grns varget and 25 thou off the lands

i did try 70 grn noslers with the 40 grn of varget but they grouped hopeless but a lot more informed source than me told me that noslers for some reason perform better the faster you can drive them in some rifles and i should slowly step up to as near max load as possible to see if i could find a node before getting pressure signs . didnt bother in the end as the blitz kings where doing the job .but my mate sako loves 70 grn noslers but hates the blitz kings but it likes the vmaxs just as much as my howa does.

dont be disapointed if you cant get a group with varget its probally not the powder just your rifle being fussy about what you feed it . as me and my mate have found out .

graham.

Chris, yes that's what hod's own website says too, and there are loads of loads on reloaders nest too, but I would quite like to know of any that work for the 'real' folk on here if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys, i have one batch of loads varying in measure by 0.5gn increments around the 44gn mark loaded up and ready to go...once I've shook off this man flu!

Archived