Loading Press

kip270

Hi Guy's,

I am after a bit of advice.

I have all the reloading gear, but now i am in a flat i am limited to the spare room i have so i am looking to get a compact press for neck sizing my .222 and .270.

Are there any out there i should look for, i have the Sinclair catalogue and i am looking at the Arbor press, would this suit my needs??

Cheers for taking the time to help me out

Kip

Hi pard I am not sure if this would be the thing you are looking for but I had a RCBS Partner press for a long time and it is compact and works really well. I gave it to a friend recently and he has been loading his own for a lot longer than I have and he is over the moon with it.

before I even finished reading that you were considering an arbor press I was thinking that for limited space it would be ideal, the only problem I can see with an arbor press is that there are not really for full length re-sizing more neck-sizing and bullet seating. Would be ideal though if youre not going to full length.

Kip,

I dont want to state the obvious but dont forget that you will need hand dies as well :lol: .

Ian.

Cheers Ian, forgot about that..... back to the drawing board then

Need to make a sturdy compact bench then

What about trying to source a 2nd hand Wamadet Porta press. I have one and you can set it up anywhere kitchen table floor where ever you like.

There have be ones on Ebay in the past?

Cheers

Dave

What about trying to source a 2nd hand Wamadet Porta press. I have one and you can set it up anywhere kitchen table floor where ever you like.

There have be ones on Ebay in the past?

Cheers

Dave

I have a Harrell compact portable threaded die press, very nice bit of kit might be what you are looking for.

Harrell Compact

Good exchange rate at the moment as well.

John MH

Only problem with compact presses is that you have very little leverage and so have to lean on them more, might be a problem securely mounting it.

A friend who has very limited room ( just his bedroom ) made himself a very neat fold away loading set up, after removing the press handle it al folds into what looks like a bedside cabinet which is on castors and goes into the built in wardrobe out of the way ( and he still gets his clothes in too :lol: )

Years ago I converted an old Kitchenette ( anyone remember them? ) by replacing the drop down front with 3/4" ply and stronger hinges and stays, when painted up it looked quite neat and held all the reloading stuff out of sight.

Just a couple of thoughts, then you can use the std press easily.

Redfox

Cheer's Guys,

I will have to see if i can knock together a bench of some sort. I was thinking about the Arbor press as it is free standing, but i will stick with what i have rather than spend money i haven't got at the moment.

Kip

you could make up some sort of "mount" for the press and use a Workmate or similar when required to reload and then fold away when not required. Or even use a base plate with those quick release clamps on the kitchen table if your partner is out!

RCBS Partner is pretty small or a Rockchucker, the Arbour presses will need a complete new set of dies for every calibre you have so may not be financially viable?

I have a couple of Lee presses gathering dust - you are welcome to them if I still have them (in the shed) they are smaller than the RCBS presses mentioned.

Kip

you could make up some sort of "mount" for the press and use a Workmate or similar when required to reload and then fold away when not required. Or even use a base plate with those quick release clamps on the kitchen table if your partner is out!

RCBS Partner is pretty small or a Rockchucker, the Arbour presses will need a complete new set of dies for every calibre you have so may not be financially viable?

I have a couple of Lee presses gathering dust - you are welcome to them if I still have them (in the shed) they are smaller than the RCBS presses mentioned.

Thanks Andy,

I will see what i can knock together, something i can puy away once i have finished.

This was my set up when i lived in scotland in a spare cupboard

P1020659.jpg

Archived