A good long shot for me

njc110381

Hey chaps. This is hardly a record but it's a shot I'm pretty pleased with. I was out with the .17AH yesterday and was led on a ride that leads down to the bottom of a small valley. I've been afterthis Squirrel for some time with the shotgun and he always gets the better of me. He sees me coming and runs into a hollow in one of the trees! Well I'd had enough of it so I decided to wait for him with the rifle. He often skips about on the ride and I knew I'd catch him eventually. Well he appeared a long way off and happened to stand still for a moment so I took the shot. It was a clean hit and the vapour cloud confirmed it! Althought it's not a huge achievement I'm really pleased with myself. A Squirrel isn't exactly a big target so it's a result for me! It's the longest kill for the AH so far.

Hey chaps. This is hardly a record but it's a shot I'm pretty pleased with. I was out with the .17AH ..........A Squirrel isn't exactly a big target so it's a result for me! It's the longest kill for the AH so far.

Great shot, congratulations. It's a very attractive calibre and this sort of thing is what it sounds ideal for, small pests out to 200 or so. I wonder what load you were using: maybe a 20gr Berger or V-Max? I know the ballistics are good but I imagine those tiny bullets are a bit vulnerable to wind drift; how have you got it zeroed?

Regards, TonyH

I didn't look for the Squirrel. I could clearly see through the scope that there wasn't going to be much left of it! The load I use is a 25grn V-Max and I think 9grns of Lil-Gun (only just got the gun so I can't remember for sure!). They're fire forming loads. I've got the zero 1/2 inch high at 100 so I can pretty much aim dead on for most of my shots.

I've not shot it in the wind yet. I would assume though that it would get pushed about a bit with the lighter bullets. I plan to have a go with some Midway Dogtown 20grn HP to see how they go. The 25grn bullets seem a little large!

EDIT.... As for the technical questions. Wind - none, altitude - on a hill somewhere, drop - well I aimed a little higher than the middle to allow for some! ;)

I no longer take pictures of messy ones. When I first got my .223 I used to take pictures of some of the positions I found bunnies in but now I don't. I only keep records of memorable moments. Deer, good shots on Foxes or big bags.

This is one that always made me chuckle...

12062008071.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit graphic.

Marine - I can really relate to the comment about too many irons in the fire! At the same time as getting the AH I also got a combi gun. A 7x57r under 12g. There's not a lot of info on them in this country as they're not that popular but I hope to make good use of it.

The trouble always starts when we get too many new toys started at once, you don't know what to do first! I suggest you get on top of your AH though, the calibre is stunning for what it is designed to do. I don't think there is a factory round available that is as ammusing whilst being so gentle to use. It's a bit like a HMR but with a little more recoil and a lot more power. As you pull the trigger the bullet strikes, it makes you wonder how the **** it got there so quickly! :)

That BRNO 7x57/12ga sounds interesting. Over here I only see them as Merkels and such, since they don't get much attention here.

From what I'm told though, the 7x57 is a cracking round, especially paired with a 12ga. It'd make for a handy "mixed bag" day in the field. :)

Yeah, I need to get that 17AH up and running...I just need to machine some form dies (the regular dies are expensive enough as it is, and I'm reasonably certain I can make the form dies on my little lathe and mill). My plan is to use a Lee Universal expanding die, and replace the insert with a series of form die bushings, just need to make up some d-bit reamers...

Baldie, are you listening? I think you could make a little business doing this for your UK customers... :D

Archived