Switch barrel setups - whats the best grease/oil?

Tiff

I'm runing both of my TRG's on a switch barrel basis i.e.:

30-338/ .338 on the TRG42 and fast / slow twist .308 barrels on the TRG22.

I've been using a tiny bit of old high temperature navy marine grease, that the label probably fell off before I was born!

However I was wandering what gunsmiths now use, with a view to updgrading from my current WWII stuff.

Thanks

Tiff

I use Brownells own brand. Its an anti sieze black compound that looks like a graphite grease, or possibly moly. It works exceptionally well, with a very small amount used.

I would think any proprietry anti sieze compound such as coppaslip would be fine. I have a large tub of the same on the bench, for greasing the threads in our moderators, and it works well. Its also cheap, about £6.99 for a large tub from halfords.

The trick is with a barrel/reciever , is to make sure they are absolutely spotlessy clean before greasing, and during fitting. The slightest bit of crap could lock them up. A good investment for your box, would be an aerosol of birchwood casey gun scrubber. Its a solvent under high pressure, and just blasts the crap away. Again, a good alternative is carb cleaner or servisol, an electrical cleaner....both aerosols.

I use carb cleaner - and or solvent and toothbrush to clean threads.

Then I either use copperslip or Sinclairs anti sieze grease (white)

Works well, copperslip is preffered grease although I dont use it on end caps as it "looks" dirty :angry:

Archived