Recipes

Guest Hoot

With then F&M restrictions lifted and the main game shooting season almost here.

The BBQ season is almost over so. How about sharing your favourite recipes and cooking tips?

Heres mine.

I no longer bother to pluck and dress any of my pheasants or pigeons.

I literally just cut them down their fronts and just tear off the breast meat. Every thing else just does straight in to the ferrets.

My Father explained to me once how to prepare water hen.

Boil water hen in a big pot with plenty water for two hours,

pour the water away and fill with new water,

boil another two hours,

then pour water away,

throw the bird away

and throw the pot away..

edi

Ahhhh similar cookery school to the one that I attended for canada geese.... stuff the goose with a housebrick, cook in hot oven for 3 days, throw the goose away , eat the brick !

I never tried canada goose, but greylag and pinks are just fine treated in a kinder way than that.

Usual favourite was to take the breasts off, wrap in bacon, and fry off with shallotts and garlic, thyme, add chopped apples and suitable quantity of cider and a nip of calvados, simmer in oven til tender...... its fit for a King ! Your choice on veggies... mashed taters, and something green ... or even red cabbage if you like it .

T260

Have heard similar things about canada geese over here,usually tractor tyres are mentioned in the same sentence ;) Haven't tried any myself(canadas not tyres!) but have heard that the best way to cook is clay casserole and lots of hours at low heat.Supposed to be very tender then.-Toby

Guest The Equaliser
Ahhhh similar cookery school to the one that I attended for canada geese.... stuff the goose with a housebrick, cook in hot oven for 3 days, throw the goose away , eat the brick !

I never tried canada goose, but greylag and pinks are just fine treated in a kinder way than that.

Usual favourite was to take the breasts off, wrap in bacon, and fry off with shallotts and garlic, thyme, add chopped apples and suitable quantity of cider and a nip of calvados, simmer in oven til tender...... its fit for a King ! Your choice on veggies... mashed taters, and something green ... or even red cabbage if you like it .

T260

My mother when I was I kid use to give me Bacon shape sandwiches

She used to get a Bap soread butter on both sides

Get some fried greasy bacon

Stick it between the two halfs and then give it a healthy wack with the palm of your hand

Seperate the two halves remove the bacon

And Bobs your Uncle you have a Bacon shape butty :lol:

I have ate Canada goose, and found it not too bad at all, like Hoot says I just used to take the breasts of, (far too much grief to pluck them). Tasted like beef to me. Guess it might be different depending on what they have been feeding on; the ones I used to shoot were off stubble.

B-b

I have ate Canada goose, and found it not too bad at all, like Hoot says I just used to take the breasts of, (far too much grief to pluck them). Tasted like beef to me. Guess it might be different depending on what they have been feeding on; the ones I used to shoot were off stubble.

Spot on mate!!! 6 days to go Im about to take the trusty 10 bore out of the cabinet give it a good polish up check Ive enough home loads and go and chase the bu@@ers!!! The Canadas are gathering in numbers up my way as the head south from the northern firths!! I like my canada on a piece with a bit cranbery!! But this year they are going into sausages with some dried cranbery for summit a bit different!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cabbage & Ribs

Cooking Time 1 hours 15 min prep Serves 4

Ingredients

1 head cabbage

4-5 lbs pork ribs

salt & pepper

Method

1. Separate your ribs into single pieces (one bone per bite).

2. Use a large pot half filled with water- and a big pinch of salt-- bring the water to the boil and add the ribs.

3. Allow the ribs to boil for approximately 30 mins.

4. Remove the ribs from the water

5. Chop your cabbage in desired size.

6. Boil the cabbage in the rib water for approximately 15-20 minutes or until desired tenderness is achieved.

7. Return the ribs to the water mixing the cabbage and ribs together for just enough time to rewarm the ribs (approximately 10 minutes)

8. Drain and salt and pepper to taste- use a generous amount of pepper- since there are NO other spices in this dish.

9. Serve with creamed potato or plain boiled potato that has some unsalted butter smeared on.

Cheap and cheerful, but more importantly absolutely delicious ;)

Just substitute the plain pork ribs for wild boar ribs for an even better meal.

Archived