Another way to do the job.

Guest 308Panther

Guest 308Panther

Had to put up a pic to show ya the latest new toy for right now.

We have been getting some crappy weather so I havent had a chance to shoot it much this year.

But I have 2 more weeks to get some trigger time in before the season opens up.

ArcherySet98938x6.jpg

The bow is an Onieda Eagle.It is set for a 65lb draw.

It is equipped with fiber optic sights.

The arrows are Easton GameGetters and made of aluminium.

The ones in the bow case are my practice arrows and tipped with 125gr field points,

the ones in the quiver have the 3 blade broadheads and those also are 125 gr.

I am getting about 285 fps and should have enough energy to pass thru a deer on

a broadside shot.

So bring it on Bambi....I got your ass.

308Panther

Nice looking kit pard, a mate of mine does a lot of bow hunting, his son tells me he is a very good shot out to (if I remember rightly) 40yds might be a little less. I didn't get to see any of his gear because when he was posted here he wasn't alowed to bring it with him. I did see pic's of if in the Cabelas catalogue. He is based in Jaskonville now so I am not sure how much he is doing, which reminds me I must drop him an email. Show us some pic's of the deer you get with your new toy.

Guest 308Panther

Thanks Guys...

Most definatley will post pics of the one(s) dropped.

Yeah, A 35-40 yrd shot is about max for this rig.....

Wich reminds me I still owe Angel a dozen roses for the

2 arrows she found for me last year...Ooopps.Bad Boyfreind.

Shhh...

I was a Blue Ribbon finger shooter w/ a Recurve Bow as a kid....

and shot instinctive or without the use of sights.

As w/ alot of compound bows gettin shorter and shorter the "V" of the

drawn string gets tighter and requires the use of Release as the

tight "V" creates finger pinch.

Its a very differant feel having a trigger on the release and retraining

the mind to use sights.I missed 2 deer for that very reason when I shot

over the top of them.

"Aim High...Wave Goodbye....Aim Low and Watch them go"

For a Country that has accomplished as much as it has with

the renowned "LongBow" I would have thought that Bow Hunting

would be a real big part of your heritage.

I am really suprised to hear its illegal.

I would figure for the population density what it is that more people

would be using Bows..as shots are limited to 40 yrds or less and

it is incredibly quiet.

And you have some serious bragging rights if you can get within 15 yrds of

a deer.....

You really dont need alot of land to get productive results.

Take a look at whats comin in on my folks 5 acres.....

P6220653.jpg

and that ain the only one...this pic is to the right of that buck....at the same time.

P6220660.jpg

The bucks are nice....but what I need to drop first is a Doe.

In my neck of the woods it is "Earn A Buck" and ya do that by droppin a doe first.

It isnt weapon specific so if I drop a doe...I got a Buck tag comin for Gun Season.

I think I smell some grilled Backstraps....I hope,I hope.

308Panther

A very nice looking set up 308 hope you have much success with it,bow hunting is one sport i would like to try but alass our great country of ours wont allow things like that,some nice pics you have taken

Hi 308panther, nice tool. This is my set up. Hoyt powerflex magnatec 70lb pull 1/4 let off, trophy ridge trueglow 3 pin sites, trophy ridge drop away arrow release, x ring hydrolic stabiliser, eastham limb savers and string dampeners, eastham carbon express hunters 4560's, 125 gr field tip and 125 gr montec broadheads. Used with a free flight hand arrow release.

Hopefully will be using this set up on a trip to france, the backend of this year as we all know its illegal in the uk :lol: will use this set up, up to 50yrds and am grouping at my local archery club at 6 inches at this range and am grouping at 2 inches at 25 yrds

bernie.g

Picture13358.jpg

Picture13359.jpg

Picture13361.jpg

Picture13363.jpg

Picture13366.jpg

Bowhunting,,,now there's an interesting sport.

I have a glassfibre recurve, no compound pulleys and scars on my arm to prove it :lol: from when I was a kid. Great fun though!

Guest 308Panther
Hi 308panther, nice tool. This is my set up. Hoyt powerflex magnatec 70lb pull 1/4 let off, trophy ridge trueglow 3 pin sites, trophy ridge drop away arrow release, x ring hydrolic stabiliser, eastham limb savers and string dampeners, eastham carbon express hunters 4560's, 125 gr field tip and 125 gr montec broadheads. Used with a free flight hand arrow release.

Hopefully will be using this set up on a trip to france, the backend of this year as we all know its illegal in the uk :lol: will use this set up, up to 50yrds and am grouping at my local archery club at 6 inches at this range and am grouping at 2 inches at 25 yrds

bernie.g

Hi Bernie

Hoyt makes good stuff.

I havent had a chance to shoot one yet...

Last year it was an old Bear Whitetail I used...

So with this one (Onieda) it should be interesting.My first time out with it I was gettin a 6 shot group that would fit in a coffee cup saucer at 20 yrds...I still have to tweak the sights abit for my style.

Most of it for me was to get used to using a release.

I have had a chance to shoot the new Mathews Drenlin Bow....

That thing is smoother than 18 yr old Irish Wiskey....and quieter than a sleepin babe.

and very fast with carbons.Very Fast.

Lasy year I had a chance to shoot the Mathews SwitchbackXT.... Nice rig.

I dont know if you like Mathews Bows...if you havent..take a look and try and shoot one.....They are impressive.

Andy...

I still have my Recurve....and occasionally pull it out and shoot it.

No scars here...

308Panther

at my local archery club at 6 inches at this range and am grouping at 2 inches at 25 yrds

bernie.g

Hi bernie

Which Is your local archery club? My son is into field target archery; he used to shoot with a American flat bow but now uses a compound don’t ask which one I only paid for it. :lol::lol:

When I was hunting in N.Z. we had a couple of bow hunters with us a father and son, they were from Birmingham. The son was a junior champion don’t know at what class but they were hunting with flat bows.

They were after deer and goats they did not have any luck with the deer, I watch them shooting rabbits with arrows the thing is some of the arrows would go straight though a rabbit but the rabbit would still run off. :D

B-b

Guest 308Panther
I watch them shooting rabbits with arrows the thing is some of the arrows would go straight though a rabbit but the rabbit would still run off. :lol:

To be brutally honest,

Bow hunting isnt for the faint of heart....

It takes some doin, to watch an animal literally bleed to death.

As with a deer an ideal shot would be a double lung shot or heart and lung

shot...Broadside shots offer the best exposure, a slight quartering shot can offer

good exposure too....but ideal is broadside as sometimes if the quartering angle

is too sharp the broadhead can skip off the ribs.

If you take a look at the deer pics I posted with this topic...The second pic,The buck

just to the right of the white tipped post would be the only "shooter" in the pic....

But it would be even better if that near foreleg was kicked back just a bit.

308Panther

Nice gear fella,s .i,ve just got into serious archery, after promising to do it all my life, it was my little lad showing an interest that shoved me, and it didn,t take much. Currently shooting a hoyt protec, surelock/beiter sights, and easton navigators.

Picking up a new one on thursday, a bowtech guardian, which is one of the parallel limb bows and a lot faster, supposedly doing around the 325 fps mark, at 70lb draw. I intend to use this for field archery, or "rubber deer" as its known....great fun.

I also shoot traditional longbow.

Bowhunting was outlawed in the wildlife and countryside act 1988? [not sure of the exact date] mainly due to the assholes with crossbows whacking swans/ducks/cats, delete as applicable, bowhunting was a casualty of their stupity.

Must admit, i wouldnt do it myself, even if it was legal, as .308 says, it takes some watching, an animal bleeding to death, but it would be nice for others to still have the choice. Considering this country had the most feared archers in the world, its in a sad state now.

Having watched a fair few dvd's on archery hunting it is one sport i would like to have a go at ,of course live hunting with a bow is a no no, but on one of the areas where i used to shoot had life size targets set up in some woodland,dont know if any of you have done this sort of sport if so how would you go about it

Guest 308Panther
but on one of the areas where i used to shoot had life size targets set up in some woodland,dont know if any of you have done this sort of sport if so how would you go about it

3-D Targets are lots of fun to shoot at...First I would check with the local PD.

And find out if it legal to shoot a compound or heavy recurve in you area or backyard.....

Believe it or not....It is illegal for me to even target practice in my backyard.

Compound bows,recurve bows,air rifles,bb guns....Yes, even the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun are all

illegal for me to shoot in my backyard.They are all considered firearms !!!!

And I have gotten into more than one arguement with the Police,City Attorney over it.

They figure because that they "fire something" is the basis for the ruling.

To them it makes no differance if the projectile is moved mechanically,by compressed air or spring

it is still a firearm even to there is no combustion or "fire" invovled.

Bernie, those look very "interesting " bushes, you have growing in your garden. :D

No...Those are not Cannibis. :D .....Not even close.

308Panther

Archived