Deer Drag Bag

I shoot a few deer - roe and reds, fortunately, I use quad and 4wd to extract.

However, some of my ground is inaccessible to either - I intended a few years ago to buy a drag bag via the DEER UK site - sadly no longer in existance...

Anyone know of where these bags were made - they were manufactured from very thick poly sheet with eyelets and reinforced with nylon webbing along the entire length for dragging - very useful and durable.

A mate has one and ive used it often,

Anyone know where I can obtain one from - need one (or two) large enough for hinds.

If your mate has one for a template/pattern possibly a marquee firm could knock you one up for very little.

A friend used to have such a firm and could knock me up all sorts, sadly now gone bust.

Another possibility is the caving bag manufacturers for taking ropes underground etc. They could soon make one up to a pattern. Ask in Ingleton.

The only other consideration to think about although you might already be aware, is if the animal still has some warmth in it and the bag neck is closed tightly it could sweat. Best to open the neck of the bag when you get back to the car too allow further cooling.

I have one that is similar to a large laundry bag out of an industrial tarpaulin material, might be worth a search on the web for laundry bags?

Keeps the car and yourself alot cleaner.

Eldon

thanks it was thick poly sheet material I was after,, the deer go into the chiller within hours anyway, so little or no opprotunity for "sweating", they are best left to cool naturally before chilling a few hours otherwise the venison toughens (I think the correct term is "shortening")

Moses - this is THE bag I was after - youre a star :P

Ian thanks but it was the poly sheet type I was really after although the tray is a good idea to drag along behind a quad to avoid lifting the things onto the quad....

Redfox, I wasn't aware if this place - been looking for a cover to go on the l200 pickup (like a defender taup) maybe they could fab something up if I made a frame?????

Ian

what I was after is the poly bag - one of the problems on part of the ground I shoot is its pretty steep, sometimes you end up in a situation where the carcass rolls or skids along of its own accord - the bag with ties allows this to happen whereas the sled would not cover the entire animal and end upside down.

Ive read the ad and although it does look useful, I still think its a bit rigid (and heavy) to carry all the time, the bag ive used before (like the one from the ultimate highseat co)folds down to a few sheets of A4 size and is compact enough to sling across your back and forget.

It does look pretty durable though, maybe worth a punt anyway..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks V Max

The bag from the UHS company is the one I ws thinking of.

I am paying a visit to a tarp maker later in the month for a tilt cover for my pickup, maybe I can get them to make me a drag bag from suitably heavy material while I wait for the cover to be fitted.

Having had a quote for a custom tilt cover the UHS drag bag seems positively expensive given the amount of material there is....

Ronin ,

I have one of the heavy duty bags from the UHS Co. I can only say good things about it, have had it out on the hill all day without being a pain . It bounces around a bit on your back, thats all, but if that bothers you it would fit in a average sized rucksack depending on how you fold it . You can also use it as a front rest . I use it to keep the car clean too when I am sucessful, but I do open it up to allow carcase cooling ( boil in the bag!). This has been very useful and has saved me and my back on a number of occasions. It has had a few small repairs and reinforcents in I think four seasons now.

Dave

Archived