Fallow in the rut

I managed to get out yesterday afternoon for my first ever foray into the fallow rut. I stalked through my ground hearing nothing for the first half hour. Then suddenly out of nowhere came the rumble of a buck in full swing. He was close but invisible in the dense wood. I stalked in towards the sound. I slowly made my way through the bracken to find myself confronting a 2 bucks. The one below stood his ground and we were starring at each other a mere 20 yards apart in the dusk. He was stood face onto me head held high. I had wound my scope down to x6 mag and drew the cross hair free hand onto his chest. At the shot he bolted at full pace down the hill and out of site followed closely by 2 does that had been close by. I went to the spot where he had been stood and checked for paint and pins. Not a dot. I was questioning my shot at this point. Had I fluffed it with? I was sure of a strike, I had seen the buck react to the strike. It was just about getting dark under the trees so I decided to follow the path he had run. After slipping on my back side half way down the steep bank I made it 100 yards to the edge of the trees. Where I found the buck expired from his final dash. There was a distinct relief that I had found him. On the gralloch I found that the 140gr nosler had taken off the top of the heart and liquified the lungs. However there was no exit channel to be found. I am thinking that a change of bullet is required.

The worst part was the two and a half hour drag up hill to my car. But it was well worth it. Can't wait to get back out, as I was making my way back I could hear several bucks calling and just as I made it back to the car a couple started one hell of a joust. What a great time of year :D

097.jpg

When you grab them by the pizzle to start unzipping them try not to get any on your clothes or you'll be super popular with the dogs when you get home.

They don't stink quite as much as reds but you'll definitely remember handling them when smoking or picking your nose :lol:

Shot a menil spiker late this afternoon with a mushroomed end to his pizzle and he's definitely left an impression on my hands and clothes.

Pete.

Scotch egg

most bullets would come apart hitting things at 20m range let alone about 150lbs of skin,sinew,meat,bone,organs etc at about 3000+fps, is it worth getting a tougher bullet depends on what range you normally shot deer as a tougher bullet will expand on closer shots but may not expand at longer shots .

i shoot mostly fallow i use the Barnes TSX bullets and they have server me well on close and long shots all have expanded and none have come apart ...............neil

It was nosler balistic tip, 7mm 140gr. Seemed to have fragmented like a varmint bullet, very disappointed. Might just be a one off.

I'd say you're bullet had done everything required of it, an exit wound from a front on chest shot would bust the that which promotes growth and vigour bag in it's passage through the animal.

Talking to experienced stalkers about front on chest shots reveals some amazing stories concerning the direction the bullet takes upon striking the beast, sometimes finding that it returns in the general direction of the shooter or after deforming on the sternum changes direction and exits through the ribcage, sometimes taking out a beast standing adjacent to the original one shot.

Pete.

I can asure you this chap stunk worse than any any deer I have taken before.

I have had great results with this bullet on the lighter deer, all be it on lighter animals. I will put this down to shot placement on this occasion. It was nice and close.

I have been thinking about a .44 magnum lever action on this ground. The area is very dense woodland and I can get very close to the deer when stalking.

Has any one got any experience of this round on deer?

cheers

Dave

Scotch egg I have one of these on order at the moment:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...&type=Rifle

I think it will be better than a lever gun. A gentlemen I know round where I stalk use the same rifle for Muntjac and Roe they go down like they have been struck by a thunderbolt, you can get deer legal over the counter ammunition but to really get the best out of it you need to home load. Any of these bullet weights can be produce deer legal foot pounds (1750ft/lbs). You cant unfortuantely get it deer legal in scotland in scotland the muzzle velocity limit is to high. In the states 44 magnum is used in brush rifles along with 454 cassull more potent medicine. You may find your FEO will be a bit twitchy about giving the deer condition, the fact there is factory produced ammo available should get the right response. I have the information if you need it. The other good thing about this calibre for deer is that the chances are it wont pass all the way throught the beast, you will find it just under the hide on the far side, this means it has dumped all its energy into the target maximum knock down power. Give me a shout if decide to go ahead with it I should have my rifle by christmas I will let you know how I am getting on with it.

I've just had a couple of slots added to my ticket, 44 Rem mag and 45-70 and I really fancy giving 45-70 a go for close up deer work.

Talking to a chap that uses 45-70 for deer earlier in the year, he now rarely takes anything else out of the cabinet he rates it so highly. He does limit himself to less than 150yds when using it.

Pete.

menial

I think thats the important thing to remember with both of these calibres, the range limit is really 150 yards no more, those big heavy bullets do slow down a bit sharpish. Both of these calibres would be excellent for deer.

Regards

Alled

Archived